3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Tree Sap Removal

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 08:21 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've used it for road tar, never hurt a thing. Test it out on a rocker panel.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've always used HOT soapy water. The chainsaw is the best though. I cut all the trees down near my driveway because they were pizzing on my vehicles.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by mr. ed
Thanks for the replies, fellas. I never thought of WD-40. Are you sure that won't hurt the paint in any way? I just need reassurance...thanks
I tried WD40 last night. It did not hurt the paint. It also didn't work as good as the Turtle Wax bug and tar remover that I always use. Still hoping for the miracle solution.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:24 AM

id be careful with deep woods off, when i was little my brother sprayed it on a corvette and just about peeled the finish clean off the car! course that was years ago,
Old 08-07-2008, 03:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think I'm going to stick with the rubbing alcohol. I just used it again today and it removes the sap almost instantly and doesn't leave any residue. I also did something smart. I moved the truck a few feet so it's no longer under the pine trees..DOHHH!
Old 08-08-2008, 08:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jonesey
I tried WD40 last night. It did not hurt the paint. It also didn't work as good as the Turtle Wax bug and tar remover that I always use. Still hoping for the miracle solution.

Dude, Im tellin ya......chainsaw. Garunteed to work the first time and stop all reoccuring problems.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by skindaddy
id be careful with deep woods off, when i was little my brother sprayed it on a corvette and just about peeled the finish clean off the car! course that was years ago,
i agree it can hurt thepaint if u let thr areosol sit on paint ,i found that out the hard way ,im gonna have it wet sanded in one lil spot ,as for the chainsaw welll i learned my lesson the first time w/ that i trimed the trees but if u dont seal the limbs u cut ohhhh does it drip, sooo the day after i spent all day cleanning the sap i went and ot me a 50' boom lit & a pack of sawzall blades ,now my neighbors hate me the have the pretty side of the trees and i got the shaved half , but hey ,i got ugly trees but i got a HOT truck now, .. cleaning sap for 5 hours 10$, polising truck 9.99$ ,bald pine trees 125.00 ,a bling truck priceless.... i cought myself tday sitting on deck just staring at the bling bling...haha
Old 08-10-2008, 08:35 AM

I have always used white gas (naptha) ie.colman camping fuel to remove it from every thing ,but have never needed to remove any from my truck.Just dont use any laquer or acetone based products.
Old 08-10-2008, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by oilfield-trash
Dude, Im tellin ya......chainsaw. Garunteed to work the first time and stop all reoccuring problems.
I used the chainsaw method at home. The problem I have is at work. The owner refuses to do anything about the threatening overhanging trees or the boulders that have come rolling down the hill above the parking lot. One huge boulder totalled a fellow employee's Suburban. The business owner's brilliant solution was to have us sign a release form after the boulder ordeal. After the majority of the employees refused to sign he had park at your own risk signs put up in the lot. You would think the owner of a business that grosses over two million dollars per month would have more consideration for the employees that makes him all of these millions.
Old 08-11-2008, 06:22 AM

jsut fertilize with copper sulfate it makes them grow taller so the sap wont get your truck
Old 08-11-2008, 03:51 PM
Banned

Ohhh, its at work. Thats even easier. You dont even need a chainsaw.

Glyphosate is the best known herbicide out there, sold under the ubiquitous brand name Roundup®. Glyphosate is nonsystemic, meaning it kills whatever it touches. It's popular for that reason, and also because it becomes inactive fairly rapidly in the soil, so the affected area can be replanted within only a day or so.

Your other option for killing trees is triclopyr, commonly sold under the brand name Garlon®. Triclopyr is a systemic herbicide that kills broadleaf trees and shrubs, and is particularly effective against waxy-type trees like camphor.

Tordom will kill anything
Soil sterilent and brush killer. It is a translocated sterilizer. Any roots intertwined with this trees roots will also die. It'll kill stuff for a city block!!!!
Old 08-12-2008, 12:54 PM

DEET will eat through many materials. Lots of bug repellents use that as the active ingredient. So, I'd be careful with the OFF.

I have a huge sap problem too. Tried the clay bar and it is slooooow work if your truck is really plastered with sap. I think I'll try the WD-40. I seriously doubt that would hurt the paint. I might also try some biodiesel. That stuff cleans pretty darn good.
Old 08-12-2008, 03:51 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Goo Gone. It's citrus based and won't hurt the paint. I may take a little more rubbing than some of the other mentioned solutions but it is definitely safe for what you're doing.

Works good for getting sticker and tape goo off stuff too.
Old 08-15-2008, 05:26 PM

Go to autopia.org This is a web site for professional detailers worldwide. If you either research your question there or ask your question I bet you will get an accurate answer that will not harm your paint. They have a lot of excellent information there for all of us so-called experts. I thought I knew a lot about detailing until I read some of the things on that site.
Jay