3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Transfer Flow Tanks

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 12:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine looks just like that except 60 gallon fuel tank. I ran the line to the vent on top of the tank by the pick up and as long os the cap is tight >> No leaks and the gauge shows full forever!
If I cruise without my trailer... I can go for at least 1500 miles without refueling... a lot further if I am on the interstate... Probably 1700!
No doubt... for your money >> You won't find a better deal than RDS from Northern.
Oilguy
Old 09-22-2006, 12:07 PM
Banned

thanks oil guy, just dont open the cap until the fuel gauge starts to read lower than full!
Old 09-22-2006, 12:11 PM
tdm

If you use the install kit from Northern (69 bucks) you don't need to worry about opening the fuel tank cap. It uses a float style valve that stops fuel flow when the fuel level gets about half way up the fill hose. Fuel will never get all the way up to the cap.

Works great!!!
Old 09-22-2006, 12:16 PM
Banned

i assume that it fits in the filler neck, does it restrict filling flow? this thing takes long enough to fill up now.
still havent done my vent mod.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:43 PM

Best way to install it is to just cut the filler hose down as near to the tank as you can, you want it to be piece as parallel to the ground as you can, then just tie it into that filler hose. I have no problems at all. It is a great tank and VERY EASY install.....I will tell you this though, Northern Tool sent me the wrong install kit, then , didn't have the right one in stock..I needed it for a trip I was leaving on. I had 3 days to get it. So I called RDS Aluminum direct...What a difference. They were VERY helpful. Actually were sorry for my trouble and GAVE me the pieces I needed FREE!!! All I paid for was Shipping overnight....the number for RDS direct is 850-584-6998 It was also cheaper from them...Northern Tool charges more so they can turn a profit..the install kit alone was 10 bucks cheaper from RDS....I can't imagine what the difference was for the tank...the tank I got from Northern Tool before I knew I could get it from RDS directly.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:59 PM
Banned

thanks for that helpful info. I will have to talk to santa and make her understand just how important 86 gallons of fuel is to me.
Old 09-22-2006, 03:02 PM

well the company truck I got a ATTA comming for it on my truck I will get an RDS thanks for all the info
Old 09-22-2006, 03:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What's up fiverbob? Long time no see!

I have the 51 gal rds tank/tool combo. I had it linexed with the rest of the bed.
Old 09-23-2006, 12:49 AM

both of my trucks have transfer flows.. 05 has a 78 gal. and my 06 has a 98 gal. the 98 came with a guage..sweet
Old 09-25-2006, 11:24 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Holy smoke - - Lightman - - thought you had died and gone to heaven. Good to see you still around. Going good here.

Dodgezilla - - I get around 12.5 or so towing pending speed. I start looking for a station at about 7 - 800 miles so I don't get caught trying to work my way into some convenience store pump with 52' of rig. Our newer trucks have one way venting on the cap. The tank cannot overfill and run over if the cap is on tight. I know nothing about a stopper in the install kit from RDS. The kit I saw and helped install from them had no stopper in it. It is a very easy installation and quite painless. Wish they had that kit when I bought my tank.

Normally RDS will not ship a tank directly to a consumer to protect their relationship with Northern. They were shipping the install kit directly when they first introduced it - - don't know about that today. Good company to work with.

Bob
Old 09-25-2006, 01:54 PM
Banned

thanks bob, i appreciate the comments
Old 09-25-2006, 02:25 PM

One thing I will add about the Northern/RDS tanks - they are very dirty inside from the factory. It could be because my tank was black powdercoated (RDS will sell them this way, if Northern doesn't offer that finish RDS will sell direct most likely), however both tanks I got from RDS completely clogged my fuel filter within their first two fills. I strongly urge you guys (fiverbob, I hope you finally did this) to plumb in a filter between the aux tank and main tank. Considering that gravity is enough pressure to push the fuel through a filter, and all of the injector issues due to poor fuel quality, this is a no brainer. Mine is a racor 2 micron 120B.

Old 09-25-2006, 08:33 PM

Lightman, that's a great idea! Particularly assuming you fill the aux tank. However, for the long range guys, I'm sure you wind up draining both tanks, so this filter would help, only 1/2 the time!
Old 09-25-2006, 08:37 PM

TonyB, it's pretty hard to run 1500 miles without stopping to sleep, eat, or go to the bathroom. You can pick and choose when you'd like to fill up, and a lot of guys that run setups like mine will choose to only fill their aux tanks, filling 50 or so gals and letting it all filter down thru the 2 micron before it ever hits the main tank. It's reasonably ideal if you're going around town because that alone offers a pretty good range. Especially if you're fueling from a questionable source, it's nice to know it's all gone thru the extra filter. On road trips one might just fill both tanks, I know I do all the time before a long trip, but even if only half goes through it, better than none
Old 09-26-2006, 08:58 AM

I have the 98 gal. Transfer Flow in bed tank. Clean setup, a little "pricey" but at the time seemed the best buy. DOT approved in all 48 states. The system has worked flawlessly for 2 years & 250k miles.

Quick Reply: Transfer Flow Tanks