3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Train Horns

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 07:03 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I want to put a set in place of my spare tire. Since I can't run it anyway, the space is open. I am thinking of fabbing up a plate to mount the horns on with air tank and have it mount to the spare tire winch so I can remove it fairly easliy if needed.

I had a 5 horn set on my 98 Pete and it was so darn loud. The old man fired them off in the Old Tacoma Dome one year and again in LA (both at a PBR event) You should have heard it in the Tacoma Dome. Seemed to echo for an hour.
Old 04-29-2007, 08:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a 3 trumpet set of Nathan air chime "real "train horns. I have heard the chrome 3 trumpet chinese train horns that are selling on ebay and there is NO comparison. mine have a 1/2 pipe inlet and we hooked them strait to the outlet of my 80 gallon 11hp shop compressor using a 1/2 inch gate valve and 175psi. after we closed the gate valve you could hear them echo throughout my neighborhood for around 5 seconds. even with earplugs in you still jump everytime becuase it feels like someone just kicked you in the chest. there are always some on ebay. just do a search for "train horns" paid $300 for mine at a car swap meet. am still gathering parts for the install . I dont want a tinkertoy compressor that takes 10 minutes to get the tank up to pressure.
Old 04-29-2007, 09:24 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I was told that the "real" train horns work on volume not pressure. Is this true? I had 1/2 in line going to my 5 trumpet set on my Pete straight from the tank into an electric/air valve. Worked great. My old man was telling me one time that when he was driving he had this little boy in a car(with grandma and grandpa) next to them give the old honk your horn sign to him and he hit the train horns and the grandparents freaked out and started chewing his butt!! The old man started laughing so hard he about peeed his pants.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
?

Originally Posted by mikmaze
you got the single 380c ? great little compressor, I love my dual 380c setup
for those of us still in the learning phase, what is the advantage of running 2 of the same kind of compressors???
Old 04-30-2007, 07:21 AM
Muted User

siege engineering. best customer service youll ever get. they called me twice on 2 sat morning s after an issue that wasnt even thier fault. great people.
Old 04-30-2007, 04:18 PM
Banned

desert, I was told that the best setup for my sized tank, 8.5 gallons, was the dual compressors, quicker fill time, and better suited to the demands of an 8.5 gallon tank. with the switch they send, on at 165, off at 200 psi, it takes only 3 minutes to go from 165 to 200 psi. the old compressor I had took 7 minutes to go from 110 to 155 psi, and since it overworked, it only lived a short life.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:57 PM

why dual compressors?

ok, when you say it overworked and died young, makes me wonder how many actual hours it ran in total???

Or, are you a wildman on the horn?!?!?!?

The reason i ask is that i am needing to install some kind of on-board air system for my truck in the very near future. It will mainly be used for airing up the tires after i bleed some pressure off occaisonally. And also was planning on getting train horns, which i dont exactly see the need to be sounding them off every day.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking Cheap Air Horns

OK got them mounted under the hood on the passenger side. Went to AutoZone and bought a horn button and mounted it on the drivers side side area by my feet. Just a light bump and they work independent of the normal horns yet unless you are trying to honk them they don't accidently hit the button. Mounted about 2" above carpet area so you have to lift your foot to hit the button. Wired into the included relay but found that their instructions were for + ground, so had to change a few things to get Negative ground to work. Ended up spending all together under $50 and they sound quite good for "cheap" Harbor Freight horns. (By the way just got their new flyer and they have a set of chrome ones for $57.99 lot # 95151 called chrome roof mount.
Mounted just next to the passenger battery on the small hole on the firewall with a homemaid bracket holding horns, relay and compressor.

Here is the pic of my horns installed, sorry done with a camera phone. :
Old 08-09-2007, 02:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

Originally Posted by ohyeahfriday
Folks that have train horns, where are you mounting them, and as always.... pics please