3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

trading in my PSD for a CTD

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 06:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
trading in my PSD for a CTD

Been lurking and reading a while, just registed today and first time poster.
Like the title reads, I'm SERIOUSLY considering trading in my 2006 Powerstroke for a Cummins 5.9.

My reasoning is behind the reliability of the emissions controls on the truck. Since I've owned it, about a year in a half, its been in the shop for boiling the coolant in the reservoir, faulty snap to connect fitting at the hpop, ficm repair, dummy plug failure along the oil rails, oil cooler failure, and a few other minor things.

My 100k warranty is up in 5k miles and I'm terrified of that along with the EGR cooler failing and headgakets blowing.

My PSD is a weekend warrior, not my daily driver. I do take it to work sometimes, and it doesn't do a lot of pulling. I don't qualify as someone who NEEDS a diesel, but I love diesel motors.

That being said, I don't think I work my PSD hard enough, and I think it needs to be worked harder to keep it running right and to keep the EGR valve and EGR cooler working properly. I know the 6.0L doesn't like to be a grocery getter.

Does the 5.9L cummins have to be worked hard in order to keep working reliably?
Can it be a daily driver?
What emissions controls on the 5.9L cummins are prone to fail such as the ones on the powerstroke?

Sorry for the lengthy post, I'm just ready to get rid of this thing. I've always read and been told the 5.9L cummins is the way to go.

I'm going look at a 2005 5.9L quad cab 2wd tomorrow. So any quick replies would be GREATLY appreciated!
Old 02-23-2010, 06:28 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I can't help you much, but my CTD has been a daily driver for 74,000 miles and it's been perfect. I know it's not broken in yet, but someday it will be!

Every now and then I get to pull a trailer and that's when you'll really like the switch to Cummins
Old 02-23-2010, 06:29 PM

I have an 06 5.9 that's my daily. I used it pulling my toyhauler through the mountains about 2 - 3 times a month when I lived in San Diego, I use it every day to transit to from work, and I drive it on long trips, in cold, freezing, and hot climates. I have only had very minor problems that were fixed under warranty. It runs great. I also do not "need" a diesel anymore but I couldn't see my self not owning one after haveing this truck.

Do a little reading about fuel filters, and about adding power. Those are your two main focus points of reliability. I have no regrets about my purchase.

On another note, my brother owned a Ford (gasser) and from the get go he had issues with it. Fuel issues, power to the dash board went in and out, more fuel issues, all kinds of problems.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:46 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
First off WELCOME to DTR. The BEST site for all CTD questions.

I have a 2006 5.9 and pulled a few heavy loads in the first 30k miles. Haven't pulled anything for a while now but do intend to get a 5th wheel. It has always been my DD and now has 65k miles. The 5.9 does like to be worked hard but it is not necessary to keep it running strong. Good maintenance is the best thing you can do.

Are you looking at a 6 speed or auto trans? The auto does need extra attention if you pull heavy or plan on bombing it. The 6spds are more forgiving and a good clutch will go a long way. If you leave it stock you will be just fine with either but again good maint. is your best friend.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:58 PM

FiremarshallRob,
My brother and I have owned a pile of these trucks between the two of us. Every one of them has been a daily driver. We don't regularly pull anything. I don't even own a trailer or anything to put on one. I simply won't drive anything else. Maintain it well and it will outlive you and your children.

BlackBanshee
Old 02-23-2010, 06:59 PM

Thank you for the welcome!

Before I bought the PSD, I drove 2 different 5.9's. One was a 2001, the other was a 2006. I thought both had plenty power, but the back seat space concerned me since I have 2 little ones in car seats. The PSD does offer plenty of back seat space.

As far as performance goes, I think I'm really leaning towards staying stock. The only performance upgrade I did, then un-did due to concerns, to my PSD was an SCT Xcal2 programmer. I blew coolant out of the reservoir from flash boilling it. So I've been stock for quite some time now.

The model I'm looking at is a 2005 auto with 110k miles on it. Its very clean from the pics and doesn't have 5th wheel rails or a gooseneck ball on it.

I am OCD about preventive maintenance. OCD!
I do my own oil changes, fuel filter changes, just did brakes on all 4 wheels, shocks on all 4 corners, drain my fuel water separator about every 2 months, etc.

Its the reliability I'm looking for, not performance so much. But I have seen the videos on youtube of the souped up, or "bombed" 5.9's and they are VERY IMPRESSIVE.

What about emissions controls on the 5.9?
Old 02-23-2010, 07:03 PM

None of the emission stuff like the new 6.7 motors. They have a cat and that's it.

If back seat space is a concern, look at a mega cab. That is the only thing I would have done differently when looking back. I don't like for my little boy to put his feet on the back of my seat so when no one is riding passenger, I move the seat all the way forward.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:08 PM

If a straight pipe is put on and the cat removed, will it throw a code? Will it run properly?

One more question, why did Ford have to make such radical changes and the 5.9 cummins remained virtually unchanged until the 6.7L?

Thanks guys. Anymore pros/cons about my decision would be greatly appreciated. I just like to make "informed" decisions.

RL
Old 02-23-2010, 08:00 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by FiremarshallRob
If a straight pipe is put on and the cat removed, will it throw a code? Will it run properly?

One more question, why did Ford have to make such radical changes and the 5.9 cummins remained virtually unchanged until the 6.7L?

Thanks guys. Anymore pros/cons about my decision would be greatly appreciated. I just like to make "informed" decisions.

RL
Nah shouldnt have any trouble with the 5.9. Just the 6.7 needs a programmer for code free operation with the deletes.

Not sure why Ford had such changes. The 6.7 is not all that different than the 5.9 though. Aside from all the EPA junk, there are a lot of parts, aftermarket and stock, that will swap from one to the other.

Good luck with your purchase and you will not regret it.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by FiremarshallRob
Thank you for the welcome!

Before I bought the PSD, I drove 2 different 5.9's. One was a 2001, the other was a 2006. I thought both had plenty power, but the back seat space concerned me since I have 2 little ones in car seats. The PSD does offer plenty of back seat space.

As far as performance goes, I think I'm really leaning towards staying stock. The only performance upgrade I did, then un-did due to concerns, to my PSD was an SCT Xcal2 programmer. I blew coolant out of the reservoir from flash boilling it. So I've been stock for quite some time now.

The model I'm looking at is a 2005 auto with 110k miles on it. Its very clean from the pics and doesn't have 5th wheel rails or a gooseneck ball on it.

I am OCD about preventive maintenance. OCD!
I do my own oil changes, fuel filter changes, just did brakes on all 4 wheels, shocks on all 4 corners, drain my fuel water separator about every 2 months, etc.

Its the reliability I'm looking for, not performance so much. But I have seen the videos on youtube of the souped up, or "bombed" 5.9's and they are VERY IMPRESSIVE.

What about emissions controls on the 5.9?
The back seat in the 01's are about as comfortable as card board, but the power is a nice compensation. The 06's have the highest Hp/tq rated 5.9 in them, as well as the best version of the 48re automatic. In 06 they made it so the 48re had both tow/haul mode and overdrive off. Before then it was either one or the other, but not both. The 03 - early 04' trucks get the best mileage of the common rail version of the engine, which is the 305 hp/555tq model 5.9. In 04.5' they introduced the High Output 5.9 with 325 hp/600 tq. Between then and 07' when the last 5.9's were made, they were upped to 610 tq. Also, the 04.5+ HO's have an in cylinder EGR, which is controlled by the camshaft. I believe it closes the exhaust valve before top dead center, trapping exhaust gasses in the cylinder. But this system is reliable and to most owners, it goes unnoticed. The only side effect from it is that it turns the oil instantly black as road tar, even after a fresh fluid change. No harm no foul though. I know the HO's have cats, the 03 - 04 motors may too, someone can double check that for you I'm sure. I personally don't mind the little bit of emissions stuff on the HO 5.9's. It doesn't affect reliability and it actually cuts down on the strength of the smell of the diesel exhaust. It's nice to be able to sit at a light with the windows down and not feeling like your slowly killing your lungs.

05' was a good model year. The only thing to check would be the intercooler. In 05' some trucks were outfitted with plastic intercoolers, and they would blow up from high boost pressures. This was fixed in the later half of 05' I believe. 06's and up don't have this problem. Check the usual things that you would on any heavy duty, ball joints, brakes, etc. Make sure the HVAC is able to cycle through all of it's vent settings correctly, the blend door motors can fail but there's a fix for that too.

Good luck on your purchase and welcome to DTR and the CTD world.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:10 PM

I love my '05. I've only put about 38K on it, but most of it has been pulling miles. 6-speed has been flawless. Engine is bulletproof. Love the way it drives. And it outpulls all the PowerStroke and the 2 Duramaxes I've owned.

I currently pull a 14K 5th wheel with it, and I've pulled a lot of tractor loads with it. I say that as long as it hasn't been abused, you can't go wrong. My truck is still bone stock in the power department.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:21 AM

Fords are nice trucks,just not the engines (from what I've read anyway) .I really wish Dodge had the lock out front hubs and a Ford size back seat in a long box.You will like the 05,lots of room to work on the engine and I think you can put an exhaust brake on it too.Thats lots of fun even if you dont need one.My 06 is pretty much a daily driver ,but it does get lots of highway use and the engine and the truck itself have run really well.If you dont need an 8' box check out the Mega cab.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm driving your same truck, 05 - 2WD... love it and drive to work and back daily.. I also tow a light weight 5th wheel (6k lbs) and you can't even hardly feel it back there..
Old 02-24-2010, 09:30 AM

Have 42k on a 2006, light duty, short commute, never been back to the dealer.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:31 AM
Muted one day, Banned the next....... Ah the life of a DTR 1%'er

Love my 05.. I have a little over 130,000 miles without any issues. Would not trade this truck for anything. I plan on driving it till the wheels fall off

Quick Reply: trading in my PSD for a CTD