3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

track bar failure

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 05:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry track bar failure

I installed ready lift leveling kit 2 months ago. Two days ago I had an incident on I30 in Dallas,the incident being that the track bar attach bolt broke loose from the axle. Needless to say this scared the crap out of me. When I installed a new bolt I found the sway bar links bent, so I replaced them too. Has anyone else had this problem and what is the "death wobble" that everyone is talking about? I noticed that the truck seemed to be driving funny and I heard a popping noise coming from the front end for the last few weeks. I also had an incident amonth ago when some moron in a small car ran into the side of me on I30(no body damage to the Dodge). The brunt of the impact was sustained by the right front wheel. So my question is Did the track bar bolt fail because of the leveling kit installation or the idiot hitting me?
Old 06-28-2007, 05:30 PM

Did the bolt shear or just come loose. If it sheared it could have been from the accident.

If it's not too late I suggest you send that track bar back and get Don Thuren's track bar instead. The factory units suck.

Also, since you have the level kit you need to address your sway bar. Either install longer end links or drop the bar itself. There are products available to do both. Longer links are about $165 and drop blocks are about $65. The stock links are weak and bend easy, and the level kit adds stress to the links.
Old 06-28-2007, 05:56 PM

I added Sean Lorenz's drop blocks and they work great with my 2" leveling kit. No bent end links to-date.

As far as the track bar, did you install the leveling kit. if not, I would inquire whether the person installed it removed the bolt as part of the install. If you did the install did you touch the bolt and if not then I would think it could be part of the car impact. I would recommend the Thuren track bar also. I am saving up for one myself.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I used an SSSSS to keep the OEM swaybar endlink geometry after the lift kit was installed... reduced steering effort with the 37" Toyos too!

Old 06-30-2007, 02:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i used some 2in square tubing .250 wall thinkness. took sway bar mount off marked holes drilled all the way thru both sides of the tubing. use factory bolts to bolt square tubing to frame and some 3/8 grade 8 bolts to mount sway bar mount to square tubing. kind of what XLR8R set up looks like. workes good for me
Old 06-30-2007, 02:15 AM

call thuren fabrication and be done with all trac bar problems
Old 06-30-2007, 12:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am experiencing some bad popping under my front end in slow moving and turning situations. Usually the worse when I first get in the truck and back out of my driveway. It used to be an occasional thing, now it's every time.

This has me very concerned.

Last local DTR get together some guys helped me out and looked under the truck while we turned the wheel. It is definately coming from the track bar.
My steering box seemed to be loose as well.

I want to put on some 35'' BFG Mud Terrains soon, and I don't want to add any stress to the front end until I get all of this resolved.

Would adding a Thuren Track bar, a DSS steering brace (or similar product), and drop blocks take care of all of my front end concerns?? The only thing done to my stock front end so far is add 2'' spacers from a leveling kit.
Old 06-30-2007, 12:22 PM

definately replacing the trackbar with a upgraded one and the associated components should help your problems. IMO, I wouldnt put a bigger tire on the truck until i had the frontend fixed, whatever that may envolve. then you should be good to add bigger tires. if your already having issues and add more stress the problem your asking for some serious trouble IMO
Old 06-30-2007, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by XLR8R
I used an SSSSS to keep the OEM swaybar endlink geometry after the lift kit was installed... reduced steering effort with the 37" Toyos too!

Mike, what is the difference in your SSSSS and the DSS brace>>?? http://www.sourceautomotive.biz/dss002034.htm
Old 07-01-2007, 02:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The SSSSS combines a steering shaft support with a swaybar drop mount in a tight package...

Since the sector shaft is stabilized by the additional bearing, steering slop and stress is reduced - making steering effort easier and more precise.
With the integral drop mount available for different lift heights, the SSSSS is a great upgrade for the Ram's front end.
Old 07-01-2007, 02:48 AM

After seeing yours and now that I understand that it serves 2 purposes by stabilizing the steering shaft as well as acting as an integrated drop block, I definately want one. My order has been placed! Hopefully it will be done by July 14th Alvarado Event/GTG.
Old 07-01-2007, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by bsj04
i used some 2in square tubing .250 wall thinkness. took sway bar mount off marked holes drilled all the way thru both sides of the tubing. use factory bolts to bolt square tubing to frame and some 3/8 grade 8 bolts to mount sway bar mount to square tubing. kind of what XLR8R set up looks like. workes good for me

I think it will work great. I saw XLR8R's up close, and I can't see any reason that it wouldn't work very well. With that, work on my track bar (or replacement from Thuren) and a better stabilizer shock it should solve all of my front end problems.