3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Toyo Open Country MT's

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 10:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KWKING
How are Toyo MTs in snow and on the highway? A tire shop near me talked me out of the MTs because of all the highway driving I do,he said they would wear out quick and also have poor traction in the rain.So I ended up getting Toyo M-55s from another shop.They are fine ,but kind of small,but they look great in a 16", 285 on second gen. trucks
I had a set of Toyo M-55's on my Powerstroke and found them to be too loud on the highway. I too am looking at the MT's for my next set of tires. I am just hoping that they aren't as loud as the M-55's.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:34 PM

A little update: I just put 2500 mile on them in 6 days. I can't believe how quite the are. The one quirk I have is that the 285/75/17 rub my control arms. Oh well it is only noticeable if you look at the control arms. You don't feel the rubbing.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:59 PM

Does anyone have a mileage that they got from these? I have 19000 on my Pro Comp Xtreme A/T's. Looking at the tread I could make it to 24000-28000 very easy...except...I got hung up on a turn on a gravel road and chunked a couple of the lugs. At that spot I just noticed the steel belt so I need new tires ASAP!!! I'm not worried about noise, I'm more concerned with mileage and manner. I was looking at Cooper Discoverer STT but I don't know if those would hold up under my truck. I'm also thinking about some Goodyear tires with cut and chip resistance tread compound.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Baltimore Joe
A little update: I just put 2500 mile on them in 6 days. I can't believe how quite the are. The one quirk I have is that the 285/75/17 rub my control arms. Oh well it is only noticeable if you look at the control arms. You don't feel the rubbing.
Your's rub? I've got the exact same tire and no rubbing here. I'm thinking about moving up to the 295's or 35's next.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:12 PM
Banned

update on tires. so for so great. they are nice and quite on the highway. even with driving 1000 mile legs. took them off road on some rough CN railroad roads to access communications huts and they did great. they have great traction. heck maybe even a little too much. they like to dig. I have another 1000 miles back home so we will see how they have held up after 3000 miles in one week.
What pressure are you running them? I am looking to down size for on road and looking at these. They are rated at 3195lbs E rated at 80 psi and also a tad taller than the AT's in this size.

Yeah, they do have an aggressive sidewall. They (Toyo M/T's) been known to grab too good in the soft stuff (sand) and do some carnage to the driveline in 4 hi.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:17 PM

Mark another down for a new set of Toyo Open Country MTs. I am putting 35s on my new 20" wheels tomorrow. Was going to go with Discoverer STTs like I have now, but I couldn't get them for a couple weeks. I then was going to put on Mickey Thompson MTZs, which were supposed to be in today. No such luck. Backordered. The tire shop said that this was the more expensive, but in their opinion best tire going for the look and driveability plus off road function. I questioned on tire life and they said if you keep them rotated every 5,000 and correct tire pressure they should hold up over 25,000 miles - which I would be okay with. Price is fairly expensive (I like they're 340 per tire for 35x12.5x20), but hopefully get what you pay for . . . will let you know. Will also have pictures up tomorow - finally.

Thomas
Old 08-28-2008, 06:01 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Thumbs up MT's=quieter than M-55's.

Originally Posted by Thundercloud
I had a set of Toyo M-55's on my Powerstroke and found them to be too loud on the highway. I too am looking at the MT's for my next set of tires. I am just hoping that they aren't as loud as the M-55's.
Noise-wise the MT's are very quiet compared to the M-55's I had on my '99. I wish Toyo would come out with a quieter version of the M-55's in expanded sizes. It would be a good compromise.
Old 08-31-2008, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Nightowl
Does anyone have a mileage that they got from these? I have 19000 on my Pro Comp Xtreme A/T's. Looking at the tread I could make it to 24000-28000 very easy...except...I got hung up on a turn on a gravel road and chunked a couple of the lugs. At that spot I just noticed the steel belt so I need new tires ASAP!!! I'm not worried about noise, I'm more concerned with mileage and manner. I was looking at Cooper Discoverer STT but I don't know if those would hold up under my truck. I'm also thinking about some Goodyear tires with cut and chip resistance tread compound.
I repeat this entry, what kind of mileage are you all getting out of these tires? I never get anywhere near what some folks are quoting but sure would like to have the more aggressive tread and get some decent mileage.
Old 08-31-2008, 08:47 PM

Finally got new tires. Toyo Open Country MT ( 285/75/17). They look great on the truck, lets see how the hold up.
I am getting those exact same tires when mine wear out. I have been wanting them for so long and I don't put enough miles on. I only have 25000 miles now on my stockers. Soon though.

Josh
Old 09-02-2008, 12:25 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Danderson
Noise-wise the MT's are very quiet compared to the M-55's I had on my '99. I wish Toyo would come out with a quieter version of the M-55's in expanded sizes. It would be a good compromise.
Good to know.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:36 PM

The MT will wear faster than the M55 ( I think thats why they are quiet SOFT. ) I wish I could get an M55 in a 285 / 17.
Old 09-12-2008, 06:02 AM

How would you rateToyo MTs in the snow? poor ,fair .good? also can you notice any power loss going from 265 to 285 with a 3.73 rear end .
Old 09-14-2008, 03:11 PM

My Toyo's were great in snow , one of the best tires I have seen in snow if not the best . I have pushed snow over the front bumper and kept going in my truck . When the pile get's to big up front she will wheel hop and you may need to back up and hit it again , so far never been stuck with them . I pulled a loaded Duramax around the field with brand new BF Goodrich's on this summer with my Toyo's that have 35000 on them . I have pulled out many trucks with different tires and would rate these very high and this fall I will put them on again .
Old 09-14-2008, 08:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the Toyo MT's 35" on stock rims and a 2" leveling kit... Slight rub on the control arms when on Max lock to lock...

They are quiet, compared to other MT tires, but do still have a low hum and slightly louder when driving with the windows down...

I have 37,639 miles on mine I balance and rotate every 7500 miles when I change the oil... I don't have tread depth gague, but I'd say I am at about half tread or slightly over... I figure I can get about 60k out of them! Which for a MT is Rediculously GOOD!

I put about 150 miles of highway driving each day... and While I don't go mud bogging with my truck I have driven down some impressive power lines during hunting season... and I usually just drive through holes with ease while others have to gun it, goose it, and try and figure out where the ruts are...

I love these tires, and the only thing I'll change on the next set will be a lighter set of 20" rims and stick with 35's on the 20's... Trying to reduce the rolling mass.

I did go to the dealership and have the speedometer and odometer calibrated for $30... and It's within 1mph...
Old 09-14-2008, 10:33 PM

I have about 32,000 on mine. Lots of hunting and highway miles getting to the hunting spots. I'm going on 2 1/2 years with them. Pretty happy with them so far. I will be buying new ones in the spring.

Quick Reply: Toyo Open Country MT's