3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Tire news, and time for new ones

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 11:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire news, opinions and options?

Well, my BFGs are at 36,000, not too bad. So the plans where to order new ones this summer and replace them, and after recommendations here I was planning on the Nitto TerraGrappler. Although, I was still kinda thinking about the Toyo M/Ts, but I have to go to size 35s and I'm using 285s. I called a tire dealer here and found some news:

- He said that BFG is now making the A/T tire in an E rated tire. I questioned him and he confirmed it was new. I went to their web page and they do list that the tire is new and improved, bla blaa, but did not see the E rated tire.

- I'm still leaning toward the Nitto, was going to go up to 295, but I see on their web page that the 295 is a D rated tire, and the 285 is E rated. I'll probably go the E rated 285 route, anyone suggestions here?

- too bad Toyo doesn't step up with some 285, 295 or 33 size tires. I really wanted to consider the M/T but don't think I want to go 35 and have to get all new wheels, lift, etc.

Anyway, thought I'd pass on the news on the BFGs and see if anyone else heard this. Is everyone still happy with the Nitto they have?

PS: I don't want to get another D rated tire, so please no comments on all the D and C rated tires....
Old 06-19-2006, 04:41 PM

I had a set of the nitto At's and could only squeeze about 25,000 out of them. I am now running a set of 315/70/17 BFG At's and love them. I think Toyo has come out with a 33 M/T now, just not sure about the load range.
Old 06-19-2006, 06:08 PM

I have the Nitto 295s and though they are only D rated if you look at the load rating they are over 3000 lbs......if you have them at 65psi you wont have problems.
Old 06-19-2006, 06:24 PM

Gibby57 is right on the $$$$ about the Nitto's. The compound is too soft & 25,000 mi.'s is all your gonna see out of them. I, too, am int. to see if the BFG's have now made an E rated tire. I have had the best experience w/ BFG's ( I have tried ALOT of tires), so that's where I'll be puttin' my $$.
Old 06-19-2006, 10:07 PM

When you say Nitto At's is this the same tire as the Nito Teragrappler?

I would sure be interested in the Toyo M/T 33, but I just can't find that size. Toyo are probably the best all around tires, in fact their old M55 would be good also, but they stop at 16 inch wheels.

Another question for you Nitto guys; when I looked at the tire, no snowflake. My BFGs are snow rated, but w/o the flake the tires would not be legal when chains are required. So how is the Terragrappler in snow?
Old 06-20-2006, 06:25 PM

Re: TerraGrapplers

Not sure about the snow. They are really LOUD!! They also need to be balanced and rotated regularly or they will wear unevenly. Other than that, no problems and they do have a very aggressive look.

PS.... I have them on my Suburban not the pickup.
Old 06-20-2006, 07:21 PM

What bout the new DUNE GRAPPLER looks alot cooler than the terra and I think it said E range.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a few miles now on some Goodyear Wrangler 'Silent Armor', and will buy them again if they end up lasting as advertised. I have 265/70-17, don't know if they come in other sizes, they're an AT with decent grooves for rain, load range E, 50k treadwear warranty, and are severe snow rated. I've not seen any other tire with that set of attributes. They're quieter than the stock Michelin A/S, even the wife noticed, are smooth if the road is smooth, but you feel the road more if it's not. About the only off roading that I do is short distance on gravel roads or parking in fields, so I can't tell anyone how many stuck tractors I pull out each week, but it's nice not having to engage 4wd when parking on wet grass. They should do better in snow than the stock tires, but that's a couple of seasons off.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:59 PM

Toyo makes the M/T in size 295/70/17 that is "E" rated. It's not listed on the toyo website for whatever reason, but they are in fact out there (Ive come across multiple websites that sell them, like treadepot.com). If you do a search, you'll find plenty of posts on this website about them.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:04 PM

And yes, the D rated tires may have a similar weight capacity as the stock E rated tires, but you certainly will not have the same stability as the E rated tires. Part of it is that E rated tires have thicker/stronger sidewalls, and the other part is that you can air them up higher than D rated tires (80 psi as opposed to 50) - the higher pressure will of course make the tires much firmer, and reduce side to side slop.

So for pulling a trailer, D's may be OK, but for maxing out your payload capacity, and/or for better handling whether loaded or not, it's a no-brainer if you ask me.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:27 PM

I was just on the tire rack site and saw dueler revos w/ E rating
Old 06-21-2006, 11:51 PM

Notto's have a max psi of 65lbs, this helps with stability.
Old 06-22-2006, 08:35 AM

My truck came stock with the BFG Rugged Trail T/A's. And, they are E rated. The Dodge item was listed as: LT265/70R17E OWL On-/Off-Road Tires. They are not as aggressive as the BFG T/A KO's I had on my 1/2 ton Chevy, but they are decent looking and have good traction off road. And, most importantly they are E rated.
Old 06-29-2006, 12:18 AM

BeaverMike, I was at Les Schwab yesterday and bought a set of Toyo Open Countrys. They told me they do in fact have the M55 in a 17" now. Just under $1,100 for the set. I am tired of the road noise and wet-weather traction of the mud tires, so am going to try the less aggressive tread. MUCH quieter! I was running Cooper Discoverer S/Ts. Got 40,000 miles out of them, which was less than I had hoped. (I run lots of curvy secondary highways and gravel logging roads.) The killer with the COopers was the 7 flats I have had in the last 2 months, including 2 events with double flats. Needless to say, I am packing 2 spares now!
Old 06-29-2006, 08:53 AM

Check out the Hankook tire inbetween mud and all terrain comes E rated in a 35 or 315 cant remember which but one in the same and a nice lookin tire many sizes to choose from especially if you are hung up on having to have an E rating

Quick Reply: Tire news, and time for new ones