3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Tint strip at top of windshield

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tint strip at top of windshield

I noticed that my new '06 doesn't have the blueish tint strip at the top of the windshield like some of my other vehicles had.

In light of my weak A/C unit, I have been considering tinting the upper portion of my windshield (and reluctantly the side windows) to help.

Anybody have any solutions that don't look "ricer"?

* Pics are always appreciated...

TIA
Old 07-19-2006, 10:56 AM
Chapter President

I elected to just tint the side windows 5% on the front and 20% on the back sides. I have two sheets of 5% on the back glass so there is no light coming through. I don't like the look of the tint strip at the top of the windshield. I don't know if you can get by with it in your state but I'm thinking about getting the whole windshield tinted 50%.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by SolarYellow05
I elected to just tint the side windows 5% on the front and 20% on the back sides. I have two sheets of 5% on the back glass so there is no light coming through. I don't like the look of the tint strip at the top of the windshield. I don't know if you can get by with it in your state but I'm thinking about getting the whole windshield tinted 50%.
I would never consider going darker on the stock tint. And I'm not really big on tinting the front sides since I like good visibility at night while towing.

As far as tinting the windshield I consider that a safety issue...
Old 07-19-2006, 11:05 AM

There should be a mark on either the passengers or drivers side that says AS1 , by law thats all you can tint, from that line up to the top. I have seen lots with it lower , but if a cop wants to ticket you he can. As for tinting the whole windshield, that would definately get you ticketed. One reason most wont do it, is cause how do you get a piece of tint that big into the truck and keep it dust free? Another reason is, it would be very difficult to do it in 1 piece, so any cop could see it was tinted, and 50 % tint at night is to much for night driving,, its fine on side windows, as you dont look out them like you do a windshield.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by LanceK
I would never consider going darker on the stock tint. And I'm not really big on tinting the front sides since I like good visibility at night while towing.

As far as tinting the windshield I consider that a safety issue...
You can get a 70% tint which is a very light tint, prob wouldnt even know its on the truck.. or you can even get a clear tint that will block 99% of the uv rays... basically any tint will block 99% of the uv rays,its not the darker the better.

As for the windshield I myself would consider it a safty issue as well
Old 07-19-2006, 11:33 AM

Solaryellow,

You are lucky if you can get by with that tint combo in your state. Here in TX (as hot as it is), we can only go 35% on the side windows. The rear seat sides and rear glass can be as dark as you want, but drivers side windows cannot be dark at all.

They test during vehicle inspection every year and certain cops will pull you over for it.

I am a former law enforcement officer so I do know that it is hard to see what is going on in a vehicle that you are approaching when the windows are blacked out. But, it sure does make a difference on the temp of the cab.

I went for a couple years running it illegaly and having to get it redone everyonece and a while, but that got old.

I am legal now, but I do miss darker tint on the side windows. If you can do it in your state, you are lucky.
Old 07-19-2006, 01:26 PM
Chapter President

You guys consider the windshield a safety issue and I too used to feel the same way until I drove a vehicle with the windshield tinted. Don't knock it til you've tried it. It is actually easier to see at night because it cuts down on the glare of headlights but other than that you don't even know it's there. 50% is the darkest I have seen through a windshield. As for the 5% on the side glass. I have no problem seeing out at night and seeing my mirrors. Most of the time I ride with the windows down anyway even if I couldn't see out good. I'm bad to ride around in the winter time with the windows down and the heat cranked up because I like fresh air. Most of the law enforcement here don't mind window tint. They all know me from working with them on a daily basis being a firefighter and now my truck since it's the only yellow dodge around here. I have asked several of them about tint and they don't mind as long as you're not breaking the law or being suspicious.
Old 07-19-2006, 01:49 PM

Smile

I do not know all your local laws, but I do know that my side window tint is technically illegal here in WI.

Anyhow, my mega cab came with the rear windows and back window tinted to about 20%. I know they are around 20% becasue I did 20% on the driver's and passenger's windows and they match. I also did a 7" or 8" strip along the top of the front window. Here the cops look at the tint on the front window as PC for a stop. I originally didn't like the idea, but a partner of mine did his Ford Expedition and it looked good. I now love the look of the dark strip along the top of the window. The 20% matches the stock tint very well and I really like the look. I also really like how it keeps the interior cooler. I just crack the back two windows 1/2", and when I get back in it is not hotter inside than outside.
Old 07-19-2006, 01:50 PM

Thumbs up

I have 20% all around with a 5% strip on the windsheild. I can tell you the temperature difference is HUGE over no tint. I can now run the A/C on low speed after the interior gets cooled off. I couldnt do that without tint.
Old 07-19-2006, 05:29 PM

Here ya go.. This is very hard to see out at night .. Sure helps during the day.. I know he has gotten at least 4 tickets on his tint

Old 07-19-2006, 06:49 PM

... and some of these guys are worried that their cab lights will leak? Wow?!
Old 07-19-2006, 11:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
all I know is without tint it would be misrable here in louisiana what I got is 20% on drivers and passenger side and rear window matches back doors now with the windshild i went 20% across the top comes down 1 inch below the rearview mirrow.like the texas truck,now what i do if and when i get pulled over is drop the front windows before i even stop for are finest peace officers,not that it will stop them from giveing me a ticket or scraping it off no the side of the road like in miss.but so far so good have had dark tint on my trucks for at least 20 years and not had a problem yet,not to say tomorrow i get pulled over and have a issue.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by Nick660
... and some of these guys are worried that their cab lights will leak? Wow?!
He has had them for like a year and no leaky yet
Old 07-20-2006, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by MX429
Solaryellow,

You are lucky if you can get by with that tint combo in your state. Here in TX (as hot as it is), we can only go 35% on the side windows.

It is now 20% in Texas. Most people are not aware, and I belive TX just recently removed the exception to the "Tint" Law exempting Vehicles manufactured before 1987.

But as long as your tint doesn't fall below the "AS1" line marked on your windshield you are perfectly legal(IN TEXAS).
Old 07-20-2006, 06:13 AM

LanceK

Originally Posted by LanceK
I noticed that my new '06 doesn't have the blueish tint strip at the top of the windshield like some of my other vehicles had.

In light of my weak A/C unit, I have been considering tinting the upper portion of my windshield (and reluctantly the side windows) to help.

Anybody have any solutions that don't look "ricer"?

* Pics are always appreciated...

TIA

Dude just go with it. I dint want it at first but after I did it, I'll never go back. So much difference in glare....its actually safer b/c u can see and not be BLINDED by the sun or lights. mines 5% on the front
[IMG][/IMG]

Quick Reply: Tint strip at top of windshield