3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Thinking of buying a diesel

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 02:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Kentucky Mopar
Thanks for all of the help. As I mentioned, a diesel isn't something that I need, but something that I think I might want, and it would be really nice to have when I was towing something.

Coming from only ever owning gas vehicles, I am not very familiar with them, but the people that I know that have them don't really treat them any different from a gas powered vehicle when it comes to warm-ups, cool downs, etc., and they don't ever seem to have any problems. I am just trying to determine the additional maitenece and costs associated with the diesel trucks.

As far as buying a used one, all of the ones that I ever see for sale have over 100,000 miles on them. That doesn't really seem like low miles to me, but I guess I am thinking in terms of gas vehicles.

DON'T DO IT!!!!!! DON'T DO IT!!! I am warning you now.

Once you get it, you will be broke constantly from now on. You will spend all your spare time on this website and never get anything accomplished. You will spend all your hard earned money on truck mods. Geesh this site and our trucks are addicting!!!
Old 12-11-2006, 08:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Diesel Dodge is a heavy duty and expensive truck, and will not make practical sense, I think, unless you need a heavy duty vehicle, in particular for towing, high mileage, or scaring small car drivers out of the way. It is a much heavier truck and you need to plan your maneuvers accordingly... i.e drive with more attention. There is not as much margin for error. You need a place to park it and be thinking about exit strategies.

Now I don't know of anyone that purchases a transportation appliance (vehicle) purely for its practicality. I'm sure there are some out there, but others just want the biggest and baddest toys.

The 06 and up are a bit more civilized, comfortable, quiet. The megacab is great for long distant family cruising. Nothing special about operating moden Diesels. Basically you need to wait for the intake heater is warm before starting and idle a bit after highway runs to cool off the turbo. If you live in an area that routinely drops below -15 you need to worry a little about the fuel.

Diesel fuel prices do not appear to vary as much as gas, right now its considerably higher. I get 19 mpg in mostly highway driving, where I was getting 15 mpg with my 4.7 liter Dakota. 600 miles on a tank is typical. Oil change is about $65 on special, $110 when not, but then you can go 15000 miles between changes. You should not be puchasing a diesel based on fuel saving unless you plan to run it on used cooking oil.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:34 AM

If you're the kinda guy who changes out vehicles every couple years, don.t bother. If that 04 you're leaving was a diesel it'd hardly be broken in and you'd be taking it in the shorts to sell it. You don't tow enough to warrant a diesel and fuel is more expensive than gas and I think it's gonna stay that way.

just how I see it...........
Old 12-11-2006, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by TexasCTD
DON'T DO IT!!!!!! DON'T DO IT!!! I am warning you now.

Once you get it, you will be broke constantly from now on. You will spend all your spare time on this website and never get anything accomplished. You will spend all your hard earned money on truck mods. Geesh this site and our trucks are addicting!!!
It is way easier to hot rod a turbo diesel than a gasser, for sure. Plus, the normal (?) mods, don't hurt anything but other drivers feelings.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:18 AM
HOV

Diesel > Gas

1. Better fuel efficiency
2. Better power
3. Longer lasting
4. Choice of alternative fuels

I believe that the years following 2007 will bring a host of new diesel vehicles (cars and trucks) to the U.S. because now all Euro cars don't need to be outfitted with different fuel systems to be run here.

Demand for diesel vehicles will increase, and biodiesel will be more available.

The pre-2007 emissions vehicles will sell for a premium.
Old 12-11-2006, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by dieselfumes57
well, the truck isnt gonna get the fuel milage everybody is always talking about. i bought mine for mpg and i never get over 15 unless i drive 65 in a 70 on the interstate. Other than that 12 to 14
Have you had your truck reflashed? My worst mileage to date has been 15.2 and that was the first tank. I can drive it fairly hard 50/50 city hwy and get 16.4-16.8 religiously. On the hwy now is 17.5-18mpg (80mph) and up to 20.5mpg at 68mph. My 03 3500 4x4 gets 10-12 pulling 25k pound trailers and 18+ empty.
Old 12-11-2006, 04:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Towing would be a snap. Tow a boat #6100 when empty probably #6500 with gas & accessories. Went to Kentucky Lake KY and Osage Beach MO. Really nice to set cruise @70-75 and forget it, MPH would fall (1 mph max.)on some hills. Had a 1999 Suburban and could rarely could use cruise. Really rock solid with crosswinds didn't even notice one time until someone in front of me was shifting around a little driving under the overpasses. Towing so far with my truck @14k 11.5-12.5 mpg, Suburban was 10 mpg or less. Up here add some Power Service once or twice in the winter. I am going with my dealer recomendation, others use fuel additives.