3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Thinking of buying a diesel

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 07:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking of buying a diesel

I've been considering making the move to a diesel truck, and was looking for some input and advice. I wouldn't say that I actually need the diesel, but would just like to have it. I currently have an '04 Hemi Ram 4x4, and pretty much the only towing that I do is pulling an enclosed car hauler less than 10 times a year. The Hemi does OK for this, but I know the diesel would do much better.

Are there any advantages with going with a new truck, any used model years to stay away from? I have a friend whose dad retired from Dodge, and I believe I can get his discount on a new one.

What kind of fuel mileage can you expect with the new ones? I will be getting an automatic if I make the jump. As I live in Kentucky, what would I need to add to the fuel where I live? Do I do this only in the winter? What about issues with the change to the new diesel?

Any input would be appreciated. I have lots of questions, and am not the type to jump in without thinking it through first.

Thanks.
Old 12-09-2006, 07:32 PM
Banned

Don't think about buying one just do it You will get between 17 and 23 mpg after its broken in maybe more. you will get twice the life out of a CTD as for years to buy if you buy a used one I think a 04.5 or newer.

CRIS
Old 12-09-2006, 07:36 PM

Buy '06 or newer. The '06 has an upgraded tranny with tow haul mode, or overdrive lockout. Even if you don't tow much, the lockout is nice for speeds under 50 mph (city driving). ('06 has the new interior and front end as well.)
Old 12-09-2006, 07:46 PM

If you go by the overhead then sure you will get 17-23 MPG. My overhead is consistently over by 1.2-1.5. I drove 500 miles the other day and kept my cruise set on 68. My overhead showed 19.6 but I hand calculated 17.9. I have 9800 miles on my truck so I hope that it does indeed get better MPG than now. I usually get 16-16.5 doing city driving. That is with what my Bully dog triple dog adds to my MPG.
Old 12-09-2006, 08:06 PM

Thanks for the replys. The overhead console on my Hemi Ram is always wrong as well. I usually average about 15 with it. Is the higher cost of the diesel offset by the better fuel mileage?

What about issues with the new diesel? Do you need to use fuel additives year round or just during the winter to prevent gelling?
Old 12-09-2006, 08:06 PM

My last two trucks have been diesel, but I don't think they are for everyone. The advantages are clear when it comes to towing and the life of the engine. However, you can't find diesel fuel as easily as gas. It usually costs more per gal. The quality of fuel is more variable between stations than gas. While the newer engines are better, starting and running in really cold weather is more of an issue than with gas. You have to drain the water out of the fuel filter on a regular basis. Fewer people know how to work on them. You can't (shouldn't) just turn them off immediately when you pull off of the interstate to go into McD's, etc. etc. etc.

All that said, if you like trucks, I would get two of them I'm addicted
Old 12-09-2006, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Kentucky Mopar
Thanks for the replys. The overhead console on my Hemi Ram is always wrong as well. I usually average about 15 with it. Is the higher cost of the diesel offset by the better fuel mileage?

What about issues with the new diesel? Do you need to use fuel additives year round or just during the winter to prevent gelling?
Right now, here in Omaha, diesel is 2.65 a gallon, 89 octane gas is 2.29 Based on those numbers, if you get 15mpg with your hemi, it is costing you $152.66 per 1000 miles driven. If you are lucky enough to get a CTD that AVERAGES 17mpg City/Highway, then your cost per 1000 miles would be $155.88.

The diesel option costs more up front and more to drive and maintain. I'm not trying to talk you out of it, but the numbers are real. The only reason I can see to own a diesel truck right now is towing/hauling capability and durability of the motor, and the fact that you can build a truck that smokes the tires in a heartbeat for a relatively low cost. The mileage these trucks get and cost of fuel no longer offsets the additional cost to buy a diesel equipped truck.

If I were you I would look at an 03/04 HO equipped truck (305hp/555tq) The 03/04's get the best mileage. They are old enough now that you can pick one up for 20-28k and save some upfront dollars. There are a ton of aftermarket upgrades out there. The 48re automatic transmission has been reliable for all model years, there have just been some changes in how the tow/haul works from 03/04.5-05-06. There are 3 different versions of the tow/haul mode.

If you are looking for a newer truck, then definitely an 06 or 07. Get the 5.9 motor while they last. I read somewhere that they have officially stopped ordering the 5.9.

There are several QC changes to the 06/07:
48re Tow/Haul works great
Much quieter cab - laminated side glass, extra insulation etc.

The only bad part is last month they were just about giving the 06's away, and so far there are no rebates this month. Since you can get EP, that is probably not a big deal.

Good luck in your search!
Old 12-09-2006, 08:43 PM

IMO opinion its not worth paying the 5555.00 for a diesel engine if you don't necessarily need it. I discussed that with my work and decided to go ahead and get one. The MPG figures that the dealers give you are misleading and not exactly on. If I had it to go over again I would've bought a Hemi instead of Cummins. In Oklahoma gas is 215 and diesel is 244 around or about. It just doesn't pay for itself in the long run.
Old 12-09-2006, 11:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The diesel engine costs more up front, but you get it back when you trade it in.
Buy diesel at a truck stop and you wont have any fuel problums
oil changes cost more but you don't have to change as often
I change my fuel filter every 15,000 miles. I have had a diesel car then diesel pickup and I have never drained water from the fuel filter.
A diesel isn't for everyone. But to me the power of the cummins Priceless!
Old 12-10-2006, 09:55 AM

When I got mine, diesel was cheaper than gas. Now that has gone away, I've considered whether it's worth keeping. But for the life of me, I can't find a vehicle that I like more. This truck does everything I want, so I'm not planning on making a change. If I had never bought this truck and was looking to buy a new truck, I don't know what I would buy. Thankfully, I have it and that's one less thing I have to worry about, for a long time.
Old 12-10-2006, 01:37 PM

If you are looking to buy a diesel strictly based on fuel savings, its not worth it. For me, it was worth the extra 6k or so just because its something I WANTED, and I have never regretted the decision, even with diesel fuel now being 45 cents per gallon more than 87..
Scott
Old 12-10-2006, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Kentucky Mopar

You don't really have to buy new. I think the Cummins is the cheapest to buy new out of the three, but it's still a lot to pay. Have you considered looking for a really nice low mile used truck? I bought mine with about 92k and other than the odometer you really wouldn't have known it was used. You can save about 10-15k out or your pocket. My sticker (which was still with the truck believe it or not, lol) was a little over $36,000 and I paid 22 for it. Also manuals seem to get better overall mileage as i'm regularly over 20 mpg.
Old 12-10-2006, 04:18 PM

I talked my salesman into getting me free oil changes for as long as I own my truck. That saves alot right there. I drive 35-40k miles a year and change my oil every 5k. Every little bit you can save is nice.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:28 PM

Thanks for all of the help. As I mentioned, a diesel isn't something that I need, but something that I think I might want, and it would be really nice to have when I was towing something.

Coming from only ever owning gas vehicles, I am not very familiar with them, but the people that I know that have them don't really treat them any different from a gas powered vehicle when it comes to warm-ups, cool downs, etc., and they don't ever seem to have any problems. I am just trying to determine the additional maitenece and costs associated with the diesel trucks.

As far as buying a used one, all of the ones that I ever see for sale have over 100,000 miles on them. That doesn't really seem like low miles to me, but I guess I am thinking in terms of gas vehicles.
Old 12-10-2006, 11:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well, the truck isnt gonna get the fuel milage everybody is always talking about. i bought mine for mpg and i never get over 15 unless i drive 65 in a 70 on the interstate. Other than that 12 to 14

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying a diesel