3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Thinking about buying a new truck...Need advice!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 07:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking about buying a new truck...Need advice!!!

Hi Guys,

I am considering buying the following truck. Can you give me any feedback as to opinions on this truck and the price. I will be trading my "Old Faithful" 1999 Dodge Diesel Dually Quad Cab 4x2. My truck is in excellent condition with 152,000 miles. The 3rd picture is my current truck.

Here is the potential new truck:

Dodge 3500 Quad Cab Diesel Dually
Price:$28,991
Year:2007
Mileage:31,553 miles
VIN:3D7MX48A07G796276
Engine:6 Cyl
Transmission:Automatic
Drive:4WD
Body:Pickup
Exterior Color: White
Interior Color: Gray
Fuel: Diesel
Features: 4-Wheel Disc Brakes, Adjustable Steering Wheel, Air Bags, Air Conditioning, Anti-lock Brakes, CD, Center Console, Dual Rear Wheel, Front & Rear Stabilizer Bar, Intermittent Wipers, Power Steering, Privacy Glass, Quad Cab, Running Boards, Split/Folding Seats, Tachometer, Tinted Windows, Towing Package, Trailer Hitch, Power Sliding Rear Window, Snow Plow

Last edited by JimonaWing; 07-20-2010 at 07:31 PM. Reason: picture added
Old 07-20-2010, 10:19 PM

I'm assuming your current truck is paid off, in this economy I'd probably keep the 99. If you really want to upgrade and that one is a 5.9 then it looks fine too. I don't know about the price good or bad for your area.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:25 PM

Hmm, sell your current truck for 8 grand. Walk out the door with the other truck for 27 grand after negotiating. That's a $19,000 note.

That isn't too bad if you use the truck often, if its just to tow occasionally on the weekend I'd pass on it.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hope this helps. Auto dealers have one day you can take advantage of. The last day of October. Why ? Because that is the day that they must start getting rid of that years models. Now that they are not selling that many cars and trucks this makes this day even better for the consumer. Plan on spending at least 6 to 10 hours there. Find yourself a hungry sales person preferably one you know. Tell them you will take care of them on the side later. (they are liars anyway so you can lie to them). Now get him to get the invoice on the vehicle you want. You will also know that you plan on giving the dealer at least 800 for profit and then a grand if you really want to for the salesman. don't give up, keep after them, tell them continuously to "write it up, lets see what the GM says". But you must get that invoice amount. When you first sit in the room with the salesman and his supervisor they will have a few sheets of paper on the desk. On the bottom or top of one of the corners there is going to be a number written ever so small. that number is usually , basically what they have in it. get that number. start lower than that. you can always go up. they need to move cars like NOW ! You may also tell the salesmen right when you walk on the lot (they will be on you like vultures that haven't eaten in months), tell them this. "I want to tell you something before we even start the game, I use to work for a car dealer and I know all your bull and lies and games. If you so much as even think of trying it on me I am walking". He will be mad and might say "so go get a vehicle from them". Say fine, see you later, and find the next salesman watching all of this and so on. Good luck.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:49 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Swarthy Dago
hope this helps. Auto dealers have one day you can take advantage of. The last day of October. Why ? Because that is the day that they must start getting rid of that years models. Now that they are not selling that many cars and trucks this makes this day even better for the consumer. Plan on spending at least 6 to 10 hours there. Find yourself a hungry sales person preferably one you know. Tell them you will take care of them on the side later. (they are liars anyway so you can lie to them). Now get him to get the invoice on the vehicle you want. You will also know that you plan on giving the dealer at least 800 for profit and then a grand if you really want to for the salesman. don't give up, keep after them, tell them continuously to "write it up, lets see what the GM says". But you must get that invoice amount. When you first sit in the room with the salesman and his supervisor they will have a few sheets of paper on the desk. On the bottom or top of one of the corners there is going to be a number written ever so small. that number is usually , basically what they have in it. get that number. start lower than that. you can always go up. they need to move cars like NOW ! You may also tell the salesmen right when you walk on the lot (they will be on you like vultures that haven't eaten in months), tell them this. "I want to tell you something before we even start the game, I use to work for a car dealer and I know all your bull and lies and games. If you so much as even think of trying it on me I am walking". He will be mad and might say "so go get a vehicle from them". Say fine, see you later, and find the next salesman watching all of this and so on. Good luck.
If you do this, you definately will over pay, and you'll waste a day doing it.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Swarthy Dago
With all due respect,that is the worse advice that I have heard.The last day of any month is the best day to buy a car or truck.Know what your credit score is(hopefully good).Tell them your offer is 300 under invoice plus rebates and ask to see the dealers invoice sheet.They will do it or a little more.They need to make there numbers at the end of the month and can cut the deal and still make profit because of holdback,which is reimbursed back to them from the manufacturer.IF they meet that offer be prepared to buy the car!Treat people with respect,it go's alot farther,deal with a senior salesman,not a newby and have fun.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:29 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by BroncoAZ
I'm assuming your current truck is paid off, in this economy I'd probably keep the 99. If you really want to upgrade and that one is a 5.9 then it looks fine too. I don't know about the price good or bad for your area.
Its a 6.7

Thats pretty low miles for a 07, if its mechanically sound and you can afford it then sure go for it...

Esp if you can delete it.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:14 PM

Duallys do not have the AHD package (Snow plow prep) You seem to be looking at Ford dealer. Its a real nice rig. As long you have a Dodge dealer that isnt a ball buster. I would say buy it

I would offer 25k for that truck. And end up paying 26k.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:32 PM

Well...when I looked at this truck on Tuesday, I was told that before I could test drive it on the road, they would have to take off the plow. I went back today and I was told that they will not take the plow off because it is too much trouble, but I could drive it with the plow on. I actually wanted to drive it without the plow.

I walked out...I don't need a dealer like that!!!
Old 07-22-2010, 01:52 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by BigDave12768
Duallys do not have the AHD package (Snow plow prep)
Good point. I noticed that too and now they do not want to take the plow off...glad you walked.

Your 99 is a nice lookin' rig.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good, because noone in their right mind would buy a new dually, set it up with a commercial plow and then trade it in for a Ford with 30k miles, with the plow still attached. A good plow is worth way more sold separately than would be given on trade in.
That truck screams LEMON!
Old 07-22-2010, 07:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My dad told me once, never buy a used vehicle from a different brand dealer (I don't buy ANYTHING from dealers anyway). Most people are brand loyal and don't just hap-hazardly change brands, they do it when they have problems with their current brand.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:54 PM

All newer plows take about 30 seconds to take off. The worst that plow could be is 3 mins back on. It looks like its a Snow Dogg. Which puts it the same time frame as taking off a Fisher MM2. And reinstalling it in the summer on Pavement should be simple. Not to mention a garage full of tools behind you. So if it didnt like back up perfect just roll a jack under it and its on in 2 seconds. I would want plow off to check the front end. I am assuming you live in the Delware area. So that truck really could not have had a tough life plowing like something in the upper midwest or Up state NY. And Grit is right about the plow. Trading that truck with the plow hursts value of truck. Pull it off its a quick $2500 sale in the summer and he would have got more on trade in.