3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Thanks and goodbye

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 07:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have no brand loyalty and when something better comes along I will jump but I see nothing to make me jump yet . I hope it is Ford since I get a nice discount with them after working there 20 years but they have a long way to go . At the present time I would put Dodge in the lead , Chevy closing fast after being last for years and then Ford who has taken big steps in the wrong direction lately . I do wish you luck with your new Chevy but your reasons for changing leave me confused after what I have seen .
Old 06-16-2006, 08:12 AM

Im guessing for amount negative he went into the duramax he could have easily bought a built auto from HTS/ATS/DTT/SUNCOAST...

Good luck with the allison. I have 2 buddies with 04+ trucks that ahve roasted them.The name Allison goes a long ways in the big trucks...but not these.
Old 06-16-2006, 08:27 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by supersonictoys
seems I heard the tranny in the chevy was designed by allison but not built by them .
I have heard the opposite-that they're built by allison, but designed by gm, or at least that gm had a heavy influence in the design. It may be that neither is true, I dunno.
Old 06-16-2006, 11:48 PM

I did not want to start a brand bashing here, but I know all you guys drive a dodge so you have to stand up for what you drive and what you like, I did the same thing when I drove dodge and my boss and alot of people I work with drove gm trucks. But honestly after seeing what they all do to there trucks and what they all tow around with this so call "BAD SETUP" I am not to worried about my new duramax. So with me not towing a lot all the time I did not need a manual trans, so this is the best set up for me. Beside this thing is fast and a lot funner to drive.
Old 06-17-2006, 07:25 AM

If I was buying and not a Dodge it would be a D/max for me.Ford would be NOT even be in the line up.Now if Ford can prove NO major issues etc.Maybe.But I think the 6.0 is/has been a consumer's nightmare.EVERY Ford 6.0 owner I meet at Horse functions,feed stores,farm use etc.has had ISSUES even late model 05's.Most D/max owners even early ones are mainly ok with the product and the 05 owners I meet LIKE theirs.Some used really hard with lots of miles on them.
Old 06-17-2006, 07:55 AM
Banned

good luck with the truck, I like the way the insides of the allison's look, I see them almost everytime I stop over to visit some dealer employee frieds of mine, I like picking up the metal shavings and trying to figure out where the metal came from, and how it got that wonerfull blue color...... As for my tranny I have a slowly building fund for future use if and when I upgrade. at least you chubby will be easier to climb in and out of, cya
Old 06-17-2006, 08:23 AM

You claimed the Dodge transmissions is no good and that was why you were switching and now you say that you don't tow that much and have said nothing about yours giving you a problem one . Then you said that you needed more room for a the child seat so you are going to the Chevy and the new Dodge crew cab is the biggest so I guess I am confused . As for a brand war the other two came to a gun fight with a sling shoot and no rocks in my book . The Cummins is hands down the better engine and so is the new 48re but if I wanted a car truck and did not haul that much the Japanese diesel is not a bad number two truck . I keep my truck a long time and work it hard and expect it to hold together for high mileage that just doesn't equal a Chevy . High mileage Dodges are all over but I have never seen a high mileage Chevy diesel , maybe you can enlighten me on one . A truck needs to hold together a lot longer than two years for me and 200000 miles . I have worked on diesels for years and have never seen a V8 diesel that could hold up to a strait 6 in any application . It sounds like you fell to the Chevy hipe from the people you work with , and are not the first and will not be the last . The Chevy guys I know will push their truck down the road by hand and brag about it being the best and always hide the true information about their trucks . I guess no one likes to admit to making a mistake in their choice when they spend the kind of money it takes to buy a truck these days . When Chevy or Ford Or , please may I never see the day , Toyota makes a better truck I will be first in line but until then from all I have read and seen Dodge has got the top dog and it looks like they will keep it for a while . I got to admit the new engine has me worried some after seeing Ford shoot them self in the foot but time will tell and maybe some day Chevy will be number one .
Old 06-17-2006, 08:26 AM

Ford is junk these days, chevy is in the middle, and dodge is at the top...ive driven them all, owned them all (except the later models of chevys) and the late model dodge is by far an over all better truck. this is coming from a guy who is unbiased and drives a ford (which will be gone soon for various reasons).
Old 06-17-2006, 11:13 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up 49re

I have to weigh in on all this tranny talk

I've listened to the Ram autos get thrown under the bus for years, and even though there were issues with the converter stall speed being mismatched to the engines' torque, and shift programming that caused the tranny to hunt gears at certain speeds - I never experienced any reliability or durability problems. That was a 47RE behind a modded V10 which normally grossed @ 10K # It did plenty of towing, not to mention working out at the ranch - one time, I even used it to pull a 19K # Cat 'dozer out of a hole he dug after high-centering on a massive rootball The driver said "ain't no way that Dodge will budge this thing!" We had to dig 3' deep in the back of his hole just to get my logging chain hooked on his pintle. Well, with 488 cubic inches thundering & all 4 tires shredding the hardpack - it was quite a sight. His Ford was there, to haul the dozer/lowboy combo, so it counted when he said he'd never have a bad word to say about Dodge again
Anyway, I put 215K miles on it like that, changed the fluid & filter for the 1st time at 173K miles which I deserve a good flaming for... , but the 47RE never let me down! I wanted an efficient, bulletproof trans, so this tired old 47RE took me out to CA from TX to pickup a new 49RE (yes - that'd be better than Dodge's 48RE) for about $5K. The 49RE is rated for over 700 HP & 1150 ft-lb of torque which is way more than I'll ever need - I wanted the triple-redundacy level of reliability, since these trucks feed my family & cannot afford to be "down".
My point is, the 48RE are pretty good, and for those who need a bit more from their trannys - are easily modded to be absolutely bulletproof.
Old 06-18-2006, 10:15 PM

The "allison" name given to the GM truck transmission is exactly what it is, just a name. Trans is built by GM turbo hydromatic. Using their own allison name is the second best advertising tactic to sell more trucks with the number one being the dodge hemi. Glad dodge did though or we wouldn't have the funny commercials with those 2 hemi guys!
Old 06-18-2006, 11:41 PM

The izuzu/Allison combo is undoubtedly a great set up but the rest of the truck is designed like a car. I use a truck for offroad capabilities at times and a chevy will just about get high centered on a pine cone. They all make nice trucks but GM is last on my list of choices.

To each their own
Old 06-23-2006, 12:12 AM

I have no room to talk I guess. My family has been all Dodge since the late 50's even though two of my uncles worked for Chevy for 30 years I'm not going to say what they think about chevy trucks or dealers.
Best of luck and chatch you later.
DM01