3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Tank vent mod question

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 05:12 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Expat Alaskan
I've been trying to figure out what that [5.5 Additional gallons of Diesel] line is in my build sheet for my 2008. Could that be the factory doing this mod from the get-go?
Not too sure on the 08's, and what that would mean. If you can see the top of your tank easily you can see where the 3/4" factory vent hose connects to. If you see a higher part on the tank then you still have room for more fuel.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does the long-bed trucks have the same tank and if not, will this mod still work?
Old 04-14-2008, 09:31 PM

the long beds have a 35 gallon tank. yes this mod works for the long bed. i did both of our trucks. faster fueling and more accurate fillups each time. when the nozzle clicks off maybe 2 more clicks and the tank is up to the brim. money well spent...
Old 04-14-2008, 09:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The best part

Old 04-14-2008, 10:12 PM

Are there detailed instructions for this mod here? I think I'd like to do this to my truck.
Old 04-14-2008, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by hoot
The best part

Yup. That is how I did it also. Just a slow speed with the cordless to avoid getting junk in the tank.

Here is a link to the instructions I based mine off of.
Tank Vent Mod Instructions
Old 04-14-2008, 11:17 PM

When I did mine I held a 48 oz juice can under the spot I was drilling to make sure I didn't get anything into the tank. The hard part was finding a day it wasn't pouring rain so I could do it. Didn't have the same luck putting in the Walbro the next day, I was laying in about 2 inches of water hooking that all up.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:09 PM
RRC

I just did mine. Ran it till it said low fuel on the overhead and then about ten-twelve miles more. LUCKY I made it home, when I dropped the tank there was MAYBE a half a gallon left in there! I put two gallons in a gas can, dumped it in there and drove about 12-15 miles to the closest station and put 39.8 gallons in there and topped it off in about 15-30 seconds! Other than the $208.xx price tag for the 39.8 gallons this is a GREAT mod!!!
Old 05-27-2008, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by RRC
I just did mine. Ran it till it said low fuel on the overhead and then about ten-twelve miles more. LUCKY I made it home, when I dropped the tank there was MAYBE a half a gallon left in there! I put two gallons in a gas can, dumped it in there and drove about 12-15 miles to the closest station and put 39.8 gallons in there and topped it off in about 15-30 seconds! Other than the $208.xx price tag for the 39.8 gallons this is a GREAT mod!!!
Congrats!! I am very happy I did mine as well
Old 05-27-2008, 11:45 AM

wasnt there someone on here selling a "kit" with all the needed parts for @ $60. i know that with a trip to the hardware store i could save a few bucks but to know i didnt forget anything would be worth a couple of bucks to me.

anyone in northwest va want to give a hand for beer and pizza? i should have any tools we might need. if you ask the wife i have way too many. if you ask the snap-on guy i dont have enough.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by bambam47
wasnt there someone on here selling a "kit" with all the needed parts for @ $60. i know that with a trip to the hardware store i could save a few bucks but to know i didnt forget anything would be worth a couple of bucks to me.

anyone in northwest va want to give a hand for beer and pizza? i should have any tools we might need. if you ask the wife i have way too many. if you ask the snap-on guy i dont have enough.
Got mine from Diesel-Max for a lot less than $60 shipped to my door in a couple days. Now I just have to find the time to install....
Old 05-31-2008, 09:39 AM

Just ordered mine up from Diesel-Max the other day. Gonna try to get it on before we leave for Florida this coming Thursday.
Old 05-31-2008, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Expat Alaskan
I've been trying to figure out what that [5.5 Additional gallons of Diesel] line is in my build sheet for my 2008. Could that be the factory doing this mod from the get-go?
This does not mean the factory put a fuel tank vent mod in your truck, but did fill your fank up with about five and half gallons of Diesel #2 that you are paying for in the retail price of the truck. This fill probably allowed the factory to drive your truck around the yard and prime the fuel system. So, you still will need to do the fuel tank vent mod if you want more fuel in your tank.

Shawn
Old 06-01-2008, 04:55 PM

My kit came in yesterday via priority mail. Went ahead and put it on today. Pretty straight forward, but just leave it to me to make a 2-hour job into an all day affair. I ended up just siphoning the fuel out of the tank instead of driving it all out. That was the easy part. The front tank strap nut refused to come off, even with my 1/2" impact gun (thank goodness for PB Blaster and breaker bars). It took me an hour to get the small fuel line disconnected, another hour to get the electrical plug to push on far enough to get the little red slider thingy to slide. Tore my head open on one of the exhaust clamps while sliding around under the truck on the gravel driveway while fighting with above fuel line.

Anyway, I'm dirty, bloody, tired (I work midnights. It's almost 6:00PM. I worked last night. Go in tonight. Ain't been to bed yet), and I smell like a diesel refinery. The project is done and it works great. Don't let my utter incompetence deter anyone. It's not that bad of a job, just don't do it when you should be in bed sleeping!
Old 06-01-2008, 06:18 PM

You are not alone. When I tried to bust loose the front strap. It was very tight and when it finally broke loose, I busted my knockle. I did not notice how bad it was till my walked out to se what I was doing and she started to scream that I was dripping blood. I was just glade the nut came loose. This mod is well worth every penny and drop of blood.

Quick Reply: Tank vent mod question