3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Tank vent mod question

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 09:43 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Tank vent mod question

I have searched about every thread here about the tank vent mod and they all seem to talk about using 3/4" hose. I plan on doing this tomorrow and was going through stuff in the garage and actually have everything I need to do it using 1/2" hose.

How important is the 3/4"??
Old 04-04-2008, 11:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rockcrawler304
I have searched about every thread here about the tank vent mod and they all seem to talk about using 3/4" hose. I plan on doing this tomorrow and was going through stuff in the garage and actually have everything I need to do it using 1/2" hose.

How important is the 3/4"??
I bet the 1/2" will work just fine...I dont see why not....Have fun it's a great mod.
Old 04-05-2008, 11:24 AM

Thanks Mark!!
I'm headed to the garage right now
Old 04-05-2008, 05:04 PM

Well it's done!! I decided to get a new bulkhead fitting and just do the 3/4" hose. Made it much easier I think. I am also not sure how I made it home yesterday. I bet I had only about half a gallon in the tank!!. Time to fill the 5 gallon can to get me going so I can make it back to the liquid gold store.

I also T'ed the 2 smaller vents together and put a filter on them. Figured I'd kill 2 projects at one time. Overall took about 1 1/2 hours of work and 2 hours finding some of my tools LOL
Old 04-13-2008, 10:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rockcrawler304
......Overall took about 1 1/2 hours of work and 2 hours finding some of my tools LOL
Sounds like one of my projects ...... I've probably got 2 of everything 'cause I always find the old 'whatever' as soon as I've used the new one that I just bought!
Old 04-13-2008, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by mj007
Sounds like one of my projects ...... I've probably got 2 of everything 'cause I always find the old 'whatever' as soon as I've used the new one that I just bought!
same here, and i wonder why the wife rolls her eyes when she goes into the garage.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by 2006Mega
same here, and i wonder why the wife rolls her eyes when she goes into the garage.
Yup. Everytime I clean the garage I find all my "Extra" tools. And the wife just laughs. And it is time to clean the garage again
Old 04-14-2008, 12:04 AM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm gonna do mine too, but I've been wondering about dropping the tank. Is it tricky? I have a tranny or motorcycle jack that looks like it will work fine but is it difficult to deal with the wires and hoses as it comes down?

John
Old 04-14-2008, 02:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Raspy
I'm gonna do mine too, but I've been wondering about dropping the tank. Is it tricky? I have a tranny or motorcycle jack that looks like it will work fine but is it difficult to deal with the wires and hoses as it comes down?

John

Dropping the tank is realy easy as long as there isn't much fuel in it. Try to run it down until the over head on DTE stops showing numbers and flashs "fuel low". Then you know it's getting down there. Then you just support it with a floor jack and take the two bolts holding the tank straps off and lower it down. When you're down slide it back under the pickup jack it up and bolt it in.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by 95ram
Dropping the tank is realy easy as long as there isn't much fuel in it. Try to run it down until the over head on DTE stops showing numbers and flashs "fuel low". Then you know it's getting down there. Then you just support it with a floor jack and take the two bolts holding the tank straps off and lower it down. When you're down slide it back under the pickup jack it up and bolt it in.
Exactly. This makes it very easy. I started to use my floor jack but once I got the straps removed completely from the frame rails I just lowered it by hand. Once the wires and hoses are removed from the top (do this first) and the hoses removed from the fill and vent tubes it just drops basicly straight down.

Just note the wire connector has a little red tab that must be pulled towards the rear of the truck to "Unlock" it and then the plug can be removed.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Has anyone in So Cali done this and can help me? I can't get my hand between the bed and frame to un-do the wiring.
Old 04-14-2008, 02:14 PM

i got up between the driveshaft and tank to disconnect mine it was pretty tight. let down the tank some to gain more room.
Old 04-14-2008, 02:23 PM
D45

Ummmm what is this mod and why are you guys doing it?
Old 04-14-2008, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by D45
Ummmm what is this mod and why are you guys doing it?
This MOD relocates the vent hose to a point on top of the expansion hump. It allows much faster fueling and fuels the ENTIRE tank (40 gallons total in the "34 gallon" short-bed tank). It will also allow more accurate MPG calculations due to you can fill the entire tank each time and not have the fudge factor of the air in the hump. From what I have researched, gassers and diesels use the same tank and the expansion hump is there to allow for expansion of gasoline in the tank. What usually happens if you try to fill an unmodded tank is you try to fill to the top of the neck, the fuel bloops down you fill some more, and so on taking about 10 to fifteen minutes to get a "full tank". I can fill my tank to the brim in less thank 5 minutes. Another benefit is it doesn't give the wife time to buy useless souvenirs and junk when we travel.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:06 PM

I've been trying to figure out what that [5.5 Additional gallons of Diesel] line is in my build sheet for my 2008. Could that be the factory doing this mod from the get-go?

Quick Reply: Tank vent mod question