3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Tailgate Spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 09:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just got mine from my local dealer yeasterday and have not had a chance to put it on. They call it a spoiler but I bought it as a tailgate protector, well a little late cause my ATV loading ramps alread put 4 small dings in the top of my tailgate. Can cover that up now.

Another Dodge Diesel site said youcould get about .5 miles to the gallon improvment with it on. I did not buy it because of that.

I will install it when the weather gets a bit warmer, not sure if I am going to use the factory fasteners of something more simple.

Hub
Old 02-01-2007, 10:45 AM
DTR Detective

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
B-man, looks nice, I like the set-up on your truck.

P.S. Someone left the door to the building in the second picture open, all the heat is escaping. Just a heads up.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:50 AM

Wink

Originally Posted by welndmn
When you guys have installed them, are you using the nutserts that the factory did, or just normal button head sheet metal screws?
I removed the cover, threw the insert nuts away and installed it with nuts and bolts.. I also used silicone to seal everything. I`m a fanatic about water/rust on my truck from bare metal. The supplied insert clips are garbage and require bigger holes. edited by admin

Last edited by Totallyrad; 06-26-2007 at 06:50 AM. Reason: Profanity by creative writing
Old 02-01-2007, 10:56 AM

how hard is it to put one on if you already have line-x?
Old 02-01-2007, 11:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To each his own. . .Looks tacky to me. . . .and I suppose it might help VERY slightly with airflow. . .
Old 02-01-2007, 11:46 AM

Wink

Originally Posted by Texasimport
To each his own. . .Looks tacky to me. . . .and I suppose it might help VERY slightly with airflow. . .
I did it for the protection of the gate....
Old 02-01-2007, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by sakisaki400
how hard is it to put one on if you already have line-x?
Is your line-x over the rail? if it is then you would need to remove some of the line-x or trim the spoiler.

The way it attaches is with double stick tape on the front of the spolier (inside the bed of the truck). It goes over the top of the tailgate, when it is closed about an inch or so.

EDIT: after looking at this again I see the guy who posted the pic Has his line-x over the rail and has the spoiler over the linex. Look at the pic real close.

Hub
Old 02-01-2007, 07:04 PM

I put mine right over the line-x...the install took about 30-45minutes but I didn't follow the instructions, just drilled and painted the holes, added the crush inserts, screwed it on and applied the 3m tape over the line-x. If the tape ever comes off ( hasn't yet) I'll just replace it with some RTV or black silicone.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:28 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys, I am glad to here I can throw the hardware away, the dealer said I can have the spoiler for $49, BUT the hardware was $20 (some kind of special spring nuts)
What exactly do I ask for when I go to Home Depot to get the hardware to install?

Rockram, there is a company here in Houston, Tx that have brush guards, you can also find them on ebay, great price $379 with free shipping.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodge...mZ110062124768

Let me know what you think, I will most likly drive over there in spring to take a look.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:19 PM

Update.

Installed the spoiler this morning. Easy install. Had only one issue with the "kit". The bolt with the supplied spacer used to crush the wellnuts was too short. I had to resort to using a nut and washer in place of the spacer. Other than that it took about 30 minutes or so.

I was going to go with a Line-X spray liner but ordered a BedRug instead. I will be taking out my "drop-in" liner this week.

Anyone interested in a drop-in liner that is in the Central FL area PM me.
Old 02-16-2007, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Jus Cruisin
Update.

Installed the spoiler this morning. Easy install. Had only one issue with the "kit". The bolt with the supplied spacer used to crush the wellnuts was too short. I had to resort to using a nut and washer in place of the spacer. Other than that it took about 30 minutes or so.
I had that exact same problem with mine. Did the same thing but I had a problem getting the nuts to crush down. I had to remove the tailgate cover and hold the crush nut with vise grips to get it started crushing then I was butter after that.

Hub
Old 02-16-2007, 11:26 AM

Wow, you guys got an Install Kit? All I got was the Spoiler whith the tape already attached. I had to go to another dealer to get the same type of Tork Heads that are used for the bed liner, turned out really good.

Stealth
Old 03-23-2007, 09:45 PM

I put the spoiler on my truck. The hardest part was getting the courage to drill four 7/8” diameter holes in the tailgate for the anchor nuts. I looks good and makes the tailgate real easy to open/close. Can/t hurt if it helps mileage too.
Old 03-24-2007, 10:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
anybody install one over line-x that is sprayed over the rail??
Old 03-24-2007, 10:40 AM

I was at my dealership the other day, time on my hands, so I took a good look at the spoiler install they have. The one I was looking at had the factory bedliner/tailgate cover. They cut off the tailgate cover where it meets with the liner cover. They did use the sticky tape, but also added a couple of small screws to the inside edge. The screws were a countersunk type with a wider washer-like edge. Almost reminded me of a marine head screw. They also did the sticky tape to the liner cover and screws.

It would seem to me that if you had line-x or some other type of spray-on you could do you end-line to match up with the spoiler on the outside/back of the tailgate. Then, it's thickness would be about that of the sticky tape, kind of a tradeoff in thickness. So the liner material would compensate for the thickness of the sticky tape, and you could just use a little silicone underneath. The silicone would ultimately 'glue' it down like the sticky tape.

I like the idea of using the anadized pop-rivets instead of the screws. Smaller hole needed for the rivets. If you needed to remove the spoiler it would be easy to just drill off the rivet heads and peen them loose with a small punch. The spoiler would be a good advantage for the 'drop dents' that can happen to the top of the tailgate. I also like the idea of installing one of those 'lowering' devices, sometimes the tailgate does get heavy, and if it does not get latched right and you are hooking up a trailer it can come down and smash you. The lowering device would at least slow down the dead blow of the gate hitting you.

CD

Quick Reply: Tailgate Spoiler