3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Swap sliding rear window for solid w/defroster?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 10:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Swap sliding rear window for solid w/defroster?

Has anyone done this? I currently have the sliding rear window and I am considering swapping that out for the solid w/defroster. I know the cost of the window will probably be ~$600, or more ... but I think it's worth it to me.

Does anyone know if the wires are already ran back there even though I have the sliding window, or will I have to run them from the defrost button? Should I have the dealer handle all of it or should I just run the wires myself?

Also, for anyone that has done this .. have you had any problems with the new window leaking? I assume the risk is no more than replacing a broken windshield, since an autoglass shop will be doing the swap anyway.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:40 AM

This is a good question, I think that the factory sliding rear window is a waste of time, and if you hit it right in the car wash your seats get soaked, etc. I am very interested to see the answers for this too

Kevin
Old 02-21-2007, 10:50 AM

So my rear defrost button is just for the mirrors? I looked it up in the owners manual and it showed rear defrost even though the window doesnt have a grid.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:51 PM

i have the factory solid window, no defrost grid... boooo!
Old 02-22-2007, 06:01 PM

I have the rear defrosting window.. It is operated off the same switch as the mirror heaters...
Old 02-22-2007, 06:10 PM

I have the sliding rear window and the rear window defroster. They are both listed as options and it seemed to work. I thought you could have both!?
Old 02-22-2007, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by D.Wiggs
I have the sliding rear window and the rear window defroster. They are both listed as options and it seemed to work.
Really? Hmmm .. well, my problem is that they aren't both listed as options so I'm sure I won't have it (picking up the '07 tomorrow, '05 definitely does not have both). However, I really didn't think that was possible .. at least not via a heater in the window like the solid w/defroster has. If you have the solid window you can definitely tell if you have it or not by the grid pattern in the window.

Do you have any vents that blow onto the sliding window? I thought I read somewhere that selecting the sliding rear window also selects rear window defroster delete. Very interesting ...
Old 02-22-2007, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by jasnic02
Really? Hmmm .. well, my problem is that they aren't both listed as options so I'm sure I won't have it (picking up the '07 tomorrow, '05 definitely does not have both). However, I really didn't think that was possible .. at least not via a heater in the window like the solid w/defroster has. If you have the solid window you can definitely tell if you have it or not by the grid pattern in the window.

Do you have any vents that blow onto the sliding window? I thought I read somewhere that the selecting the sliding rear window also selects rear window defroster delete. Very interesting ...
Now I will have to go out and look! You have me interested! I know I have never had any problems seeing out of the back window.
Old 02-22-2007, 06:26 PM
DTR Detective

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Mega cabs may have vents for the rear, my rear slider has never fogged up on me, now my wife's boyfriend says my rear window has fogged up on them many times though?
Old 02-22-2007, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by D.Wiggs
Now I will have to go out and look! You have me interested! I know I have never had any problems seeing out of the back window.
Well, that's good information for me to know! Lack of visibility out the back would be the main reason I would want to swap the window out. The dealer quoted my $710 for the window w/defroster .. then I will have to figure out if I can use existing wires or run a new one from the defrost button. I'll probably shop around for a better price on that, but I probably won't have much luck.
Old 02-22-2007, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by steelblitzkrieg
Mega cabs may have vents for the rear, my rear slider has never fogged up on me, now my wife's boyfriend says my rear window has fogged up on them many times though?
Ahh .. of course! The Megacabs with their darn vents in the back! Must be nice! So, do the vents roar to life when you press the defrost button?

By the way .. you might have some larger issues than just a window fogging up ..
Old 02-22-2007, 07:55 PM

Bought my truck off the lot and it has the slider, I would have chosen the solid with defroster. But, after two winters (live in Utah, cold & snow) with the truck parked outside, I've never had ice or snow or fog on the back window. Often on the front and sometimes on the sides, but not the back. So I wouldn't pay that much to switch now. Are you having enough trouble to make it worth the extra cost?