3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Stripped A-Pillar Insert, JB Weld??

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2004, 08:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stripped A-Pillar Insert, JB Weld??

I have stripped one of the inserts that are in the A-Pillar. There are 2 bolts on each A-Pillar, these bolts thread into metal inserts that are in the A-pillar sheet metal of the truck. I have stripped one of these inserts and now it just spins and I cannot thread the bolt into it to hold the A-Pillar on. A friend suggested JB Weld, but I have only heard of this product, never used it. Should I take it to a body shop and see what they say? Would JB Weld work in this situation, the bolts for the A-Pillar are to be tightened to only 55 inch pounds. Does anyone know if this insert is removable and replacable, someone at the factory had to put it in, it's not welded in place as far as I could tell.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 11-17-2004, 08:49 PM
Banned

JB weld the sucker in there. That stuff is awesome. I've fixed everything with that. My friend used it to glue the sole of his boots back on.
Old 11-17-2004, 09:03 PM

that stuff is so good you may never get the pillar back off again. Make sure you wont want to change it at some point before you glue it.
Old 11-18-2004, 03:05 AM

I did the same thing on mine. I just ended up with a very shallow socket and pushed up with all my might while turning it and it finally threaded in enough. I did not get it super tight but I can still use the handle. Of course it was the top bolt that decided to spin and I pretty much destroyed the A-pillar enough to where I had to put a big washer under the bolt to hold it on......

I didn't have the time but if you can, take it to a welder and have them throw a spot weld on it and it won't spin anymore....
Old 11-19-2004, 04:24 PM

The first time I used JB Liquid Weld I was repairing a carb on a motorcycle. I eventually sold the motorcycle, so I knew it worked, but didn't get a chance to see how long it would last. I was with my father who was trying to spend as little as possible to get an old BMW motorcycle through DMV inspection to register it. He had a friend come up and weld some holes in the canisters on the mufflers, that had caused him to fail the first inspection. He thought that all the holes had been repaired, but found two more. I told him to give the JB weld a try, that it had worked on my carb, and what did it matter as long as it went through the inspection.

That was about 8 or 9 years ago. The pipes of course are still on the bike!! The welds had rusted around the pipe and are holes again. The funny part is the holes that we patched with the JB Liquid Weld are still sealed and solid. I would give it a try. I have used that stuff on dozens of projects and it always comes through!