3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Stop me from getting a '09 Touareg TDI

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 07:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sabersix
I will respectfully disagree about the DSG "automatic" though. I.
Agreed. Most that say they hate or dislike the DSG, or will never own one, have never driven one. There great. Wouldnt have it any other way.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:55 PM

I was looking at TDI Jetta, but after not getting any better than $500 under the MSRP, I don't think I need one that bad. There is that $1300 tax credit that you get at the end of the year though...
Old 07-14-2009, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by sabersix

I will respectfully disagree about the DSG "automatic" though. I have owned both a manual 2006 TDI and now a DSG 2006 TDI. The clutch on the manual was just too touchy and was a serious safety issue with my wife as she was constantly stalling the car (she can drive a Honda stick no problem). We now have a DSG model. It shifts super quick and smooth. We have had no problems with it. I believe it is a fine transmission.
just keep the dsg serviced and it might last. you need a vag tool and the filler device. I did my own servicing because I didn't trust the dealer to change the oil.

the one thing that drove me nuts with the dsg was the lag time for getting the car moving quickly from a dead stop. it was flat slow. the car was also very difficult to drive in snow more than 1" deep. it would spin the front tires and dig two nice little holes, and that was it....stuck.....in those two little holes.
Old 07-15-2009, 04:50 AM

You might look at the cost to repair one of these things first as well as reliability reports.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:15 AM

I used to work at a VW, Audi, Posche dealer. The repair costs are crazy. I wouldn't own any of these brands it I couldn't fix it my self, or dump it at the end of the warranty.

Last edited by TedT; 07-15-2009 at 07:16 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-16-2009, 07:12 AM

DON'T DO IT, DON'T DO IT, DON'T DO IT. There, i said it. Hope this helps.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:27 AM

We have the Jeep grand cherokee with the 3.0 v6 Mercedes diesel in it. Really nice for my wife to run around with, and nice on road trips. Whatever floats your boat.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:11 AM

Buy the VW and keep the truck. If you can afford a $60,000+ VW you can afford the maintenance. Ed B
Old 07-16-2009, 05:10 PM

go to craigslist.org and find a 1980ish mercedes diesel. many to be had and easy to convert to run of fast food grease and oil.

david
socal
Old 07-17-2009, 09:52 PM

Dont do it, im a firm believer we need to take pride in things we make here in the States. Support our struggling economy here and dont send your money overseas. Sorry, just a believer we need to keep our money here where it belongs.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by rogerp51
I was looking at the '09 Touareg TDI..Stock 25 mpg they say..It drove awesome!!! I don't tow any longer, my truck is completely stock...Convince me to say with Dodge and my '06 Cummins.
PM me with you savings account number, your soc. sec #, name and address and you'll be all set within 2 days.
Old 07-18-2009, 08:38 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Guys - - let's stop and think - - our finances are in a mess because we insist on buying vehicles new, then suffering the horrible depreciations. Never buy anything that depreciates on time payments. If you can go pay cash, I will shut up. Second, our country is in a mess - - and a big part of it is we are all buying foreign cars. THINK AMERICAN. There are some wonderful American cars out there that give terrific mileage and are really fun to drive and have a great track record. Our country needs the help right now. THINK AMERICAN. Now, if we could only get our car manufacturers thinking the same way when they order in parts and assemblies, we might actually get back on the right track. Sorry for my rant.
Bob
Old 07-18-2009, 02:29 PM

you guys that sell that buy american crap is just that crap, vw , toyota, bmw they are all made in the USA , how about that american Ford ( Hecho in Mexico ) Chevy (Hecho in Mexico) Dodge (hecho in Mexico) come on you want to keep that money in the states buy a car that is built in the states by an american citizen not just an american name plate
Old 07-18-2009, 04:28 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by 03whitedually
you guys that sell that buy american crap is just that crap, vw , toyota, bmw they are all made in the USA , how about that american Ford ( Hecho in Mexico ) Chevy (Hecho in Mexico) Dodge (hecho in Mexico) come on you want to keep that money in the states buy a car that is built in the states by an american citizen not just an american name plate
You need to catch up on your reading. Especially catch up on the ratings of some of the new cars made by American companies in American factories that are beating the pants off those wonderful foreign bunnies. Plus, if we all supported the American companies so they made money again, guess who would be paying taxes into the American government instead of making some other country rich. THINK AMERICAN. As stated, now we need to get our companies thinking the same way - - they are doing better, but still not there.
Old 07-18-2009, 11:08 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Sorry FiverBob, If I was going to buy a new/newer car it would be another Nissan, preferably the ones assembled in Japan. All their vins start with a J. Ford, GM, and Dodge cars are for other people. I prefer only doing services, tires, and brakes when needed. Bash me if you want to. Dosen't matter to me.

Quick Reply: Stop me from getting a '09 Touareg TDI