3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Stop me from getting a '09 Touareg TDI

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stop me from getting a '09 Touareg TDI

I was looking at the '09 Touareg TDI..Stock 25 mpg they say..It drove awesome!!! I don't tow any longer, my truck is completely stock...Convince me to say with Dodge and my '06 Cummins.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:03 PM

How about you keep the Dodge and get an 09 Jetta Loaded up like many of us have done???? 40mph is better than 25 unless your wanting the status symbol.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't spend the money!

What you 'might' save with 25mpg vs. 19mpg will take a few years to realize.

As dslpwr81 said, 40+mpg will be recouped faster! Matter of fact, buy the Jetta and keep the truck! Use the Jetta for daily driving, and use the truck when you need to tow, or just run around and have fun.

That's what I am doing with the Passat; it's my DD. There are times when I only drive the truck 5-10 miles on the weekend, just to keep the fluids moving and up to temp to boil off any condensation. Sometimes I drive like that for 6-8 weeks; there are other times when I drive 100-500 miles on the weekend, then the truck sits.

In my mind, the truck is a tool. Just like the car is.

Tony
Old 07-13-2009, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by rogerp51
I was looking at the '09 Touareg TDI..Stock 25 mpg they say..It drove awesome!!! I don't tow any longer, my truck is completely stock...Convince me to say with Dodge and my '06 Cummins.
How bout you stop yourself! These threads are bit annoying, "stop me from buying a ford" "stop me from selling my truck" "talk me out of trading in my ctd for a Toyota" trying to get other guys to make a decision for you. I thought I was the only one with that problem...only I have to make the decisions for my lady. The most aggrivating thing is that when I give her the input, she has her mind already set. If my biggest concern was fuel mileage, tire noise, or even exhaust noise..."trust me I wouldn't be driving a cummins"
Old 07-14-2009, 06:08 AM

txarrowhunter--sorry your wife was bigger ***** then you..If you're getting tired of reading all these threads here's a thought "STOP READING these thread!"

To everyone else I thank you for you input...
Old 07-14-2009, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by rogerp51
txarrowhunter--sorry your wife was bigger ***** then you..If you're getting tired of reading all these threads here's a thought "STOP READING these thread!"

To everyone else I thank you for you input...
Thanx but I never said I was married, are you sure it's not you that needs some to help you make your own wise decisions. Let me guess you have some hangin from your truck too.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Come on guys...on topic, please?

This IS a family show!

Tony
Old 07-14-2009, 09:48 AM

Alright I apologize, I was just being aggrivating.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:21 PM
HOV

OK. Remember when you were buying your truck - you were all excited and thought, "man I can do anything in this bad boy and the warranty will last for 100K miles, and I like Cummins better than Duracarp or Powerjoke because it has connecting rods the size of watermelons, and it's a medium duty engine and I'm going to keep this thing forever, drive the wheels off it, this is an awesome truck I gotta have it. No problem that I'm going to get jacked on my trade-in because I'm going to own this truck long enough that I'll recover no problem woo hoo yea buddy let's do this thing!!"

Just try to put yourself back in that frame of mind.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:46 PM

Ha Ha! That's pretty good HOV. I can say this. I went for about two months without a truck after having to sell my nice 08 CTD. While I was looking for the right truck I picked up a cheapo Ford Taurus and although it runs and drives fine, I just don't like cars. I really missed having a truck. Maybe it's the noise it makes, the awesome power, the fact that I can see over or around most other vehicles on the road, or even something else. But the fact is that I just really like driving a big truck. Driving a car is a nice change of pace on occasion but give me the truck even if I haven't towed anything in six months.......

And please, I hope none of you are driving around with those things hanging from the backs of your trucks. They are the dumbest looking things ever.........
Old 07-14-2009, 03:18 PM

txarrowhunter--I'm sorry I guess wasn't in the correct frame of mind..

HOV--you're correct I have to get back in that frame of mind again...
Old 07-14-2009, 04:08 PM

the vw service department is the reason that would stop me. I sold both of our TDIs ('06 jetta and '05 passat) because of vw's crap service. go to tdiclub.com and read all about it. Don't buy one unless you plan on doing all the service work and getting the associated tools to do the work, and definitely DO NOT get a jetta with a DSG. Stick with the manual transmission.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:31 PM

I think there is a substantial difference between the Toureg and most diesel cars and SUVs available. If I remember correctly it is a V10. What are the HP and torque ratings? I think I would be tempted to trade as well if I drove one. Thanks.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by rock-rod
the vw service department is the reason that would stop me. I sold both of our TDIs ('06 jetta and '05 passat) because of vw's crap service. go to tdiclub.com and read all about it. Don't buy one unless you plan on doing all the service work and getting the associated tools to do the work, and definitely DO NOT get a jetta with a DSG. Stick with the manual transmission.
You are spot on with your comment about VW service. TDI owners need to be prepared to do their own work or find a guru. VW service is worse than worthless. They cause problems! Read all about it over at tdi.com

I will respectfully disagree about the DSG "automatic" though. I have owned both a manual 2006 TDI and now a DSG 2006 TDI. The clutch on the manual was just too touchy and was a serious safety issue with my wife as she was constantly stalling the car (she can drive a Honda stick no problem). We now have a DSG model. It shifts super quick and smooth. We have had no problems with it. I believe it is a fine transmission.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:31 PM

The V10 TDI was discontinued two years ago. The new TDI for the Touareg is a 3.0 V6 with 221 hp. The old V10 added $13,000 to the price of the Touareg.

Now... the Audi Q7 has a TDI option too -- it's a V12 TDI making 500 hp. It's insane, and also costs like $100k.

Rob

Quick Reply: Stop me from getting a '09 Touareg TDI