3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Stoopid Newbie DRW Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 09:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stoopid Newbie DRW Questions

OK, I'm in the market and been considering a drw, so humor me here:

How wide can you go on rear tires before running outside the wells? (I like big tires but only if tucked in). I know spacers are needed and the tire size choices are limited. How close to the outer edge of the fender are the stock tires? (Mega Cab DRW)

Why does the front wheel stick out? (convex rather than concave)
Hey, I said I was a newbie!

Does the front axle use a spacer? Otherwise is it the same as SRW? So, if the answer is yes, couldn't you find a wheel style that is made both in SRW and DRW like the Rockstar and use a regular (SRW) wheel up front with a big fat tire and 2 skinnier versions of that tire for the rear (assuming same diameter if you could find it)? (Pretend the spare isn't the issue here.)

Read here that the rear axle is wider than stock. How much wider? Why is that? (It doesn't make sense to me). Is that the only difference? If so, couldn't you swap in a SRW rear axle and gain some room to tuck wider tires in under the wells?

I'm specifically interested in the Mega DRW since only the enlightened few like them and you can get a killer deal on them right now since they aren't selling. I've also been toying with a slide-in camper in my future...

Thanks!
Old 10-28-2007, 09:56 AM

? dude you must be like 17?
JK

Not sure on how wide you can go but for your case it might be cheeper just to get a single rear wheel truck and stick your 44 irocks on it.
Old 10-28-2007, 10:05 AM

OK wiseguy, I'm 46, live on 22 acres in the mountains and am probably more man than you'll ever be.

I'm interested in tasteful mods like I've done to all my vehicles: 65 Chevy longbed, 74 Early Bronco, 52 Panhead. You got a problem with that?
Old 10-28-2007, 10:12 AM

No Prob. Just sounds like stuff a teen would say. I also like the drw. but only in 2wd. If your going just for looks I would just get the srw truck and jack it up. just think of buying 6 wheels and tires instead of only 4. With the right lift it should ride better with only the srw any how.

(I live in the city)
Old 10-28-2007, 10:18 AM

I don't know about how far the stock tires stick outside the rear wells on a megacab but on my reg cab the outsides of the stockers stick out just enough past the wells to sling dirt and mud up on the fenders. I would figure on both the dimension they stick out are the same. The front tires are tucked under the fenders though. To get the idea of a dually you stick the 2 outward facing parts of the wheel together on the rear so thats why the front wheel sticks out so you can swap all 6 tires to any position instead of having a different set for the front and the back. As far as I know you could just get the dually and buy a set of SRW wheels for it and run those but like "Ron R' said, it'd probably be cheaper to just buy a SRW unless the DRW Mega is cheaper.
Old 10-28-2007, 10:20 AM

Heheh. I could see that. But what about the slide-in camper part? Did you get that far before you spewed your coffee out with laughter!

It must have been the Rockstar part! Yea, I know that wheel appeals to the youngins, but it's the only one that came to mind right off the top (and that's easy to picture for everyone). Not my personal flavor.

Good Sunday morning to you.
Old 10-28-2007, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by 92'1stGen
I don't know about how far the stock tires stick outside the rear wells on a megacab but on my reg cab the outsides of the stockers stick out just enough past the wells to sling dirt and mud up on the fenders. I would figure on both the dimension they stick out are the same. The front tires are tucked under the fenders though. To get the idea of a dually you stick the 2 outward facing parts of the wheel together on the rear so thats why the front wheel sticks out so you can swap all 6 tires to any position instead of having a different set for the front and the back. As far as I know you could just get the dually and buy a set of SRW wheels for it and run those but like "Ron R' said, it'd probably be cheaper to just buy a SRW unless the DRW Mega is cheaper.
Oh, I get it now! Thanks for the explanation.

I would like to see an exploded diagram of the wheel assemblies... maybe a quick search will turn up something.

Like I said earlier, there's some rockin' deals on the duallys right now...
Old 10-28-2007, 11:10 AM

To answer you question about the front end.* Yes there is a spacer that allows the truck to run the dually wheels in the front.* You can easily take them off and run a normal wheel.* Look up Ramasaur's pics (My old 2003 dually) I was running a 17X8 in the front, it's as easy as removing the spacer.* You can run a 35X10.5 Super Swamper SSR without rubbing.* When I used to run narrow tires, I just took the outer stock wheels (that I replaced with aftermarket ones) and cut the center out of each one, grinded them round, then used the them as a 1/4" spacer.
Old 10-28-2007, 12:55 PM

Thanks.

I should have mentioned in the beginning of my post that I would want to go 'taller', not necessarily wider. The problem as I see it is that taller for 17" is very difficult to find, hence my speaking 'wider' since you'd need to go wider to get 33-35" tall, right?

In scanning pics, it looks like the stock tire width already fills up the fender width... any wider and you'd be poking out, right?
Old 10-28-2007, 03:46 PM

I am running the black Rockstar's and Toyo AT 285/75/17E. They ride better than the stock tires and look great. By the way, I'm 57 , ( going on 21, so the wife of 36 years says)
Old 10-28-2007, 09:02 PM

Thread is dead. Put a deposit on an SRW today. Thanks.
Old 10-28-2007, 09:38 PM

trader!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-29-2007, 05:28 AM

I have a mega dually lifted it put 37s on it....Hey I wanted a huge truck. I dont pull anything but a 14ft boat at most with it. But if I had it to do over again I think I would stick with single rear tires. Its going to be hard to go up in tire size without sticking outside the fenders.....unless you go with just one tires in the rear and put some type of fender flare on the front.