3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

stolen tailgates

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 08:44 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am still kickin the idea of getting one of these locks, they work off of your power door locks. Seems pretty cool but a hose clamp is a lot cheaper.
http://www.pickupspecialties.com/pow...lgate_lock.htm
Old 01-20-2007, 08:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gatekeeper. they are very easy to install and relatively inexpensive. cheap insurance.
Old 01-20-2007, 10:21 AM

Pace edwards makes a bed locker. It is essentially a bolt that comes forward to not alow the handle to open. Now if they brake the handle, well.. but 9X out of 10 they will walk to the next guy. Can be driven of the oem electrical system to work with power locks.

Did it to a couple of F150's.

BTW, would this be the same cujo from ftw?
Old 01-20-2007, 11:21 AM
jps

Hose clamp

Anyone have a source for a hose clamp with the allen wrench screw? Thanks, jps
Old 01-20-2007, 11:44 AM

I've been thinking about these for a while now. I don't how easy they are to defeat though.

http://www.popandlock.net/
Old 01-20-2007, 02:15 PM

Talking

If anyone catches these guy's I need tailgate and a bumper for a mineral grey truck.
Old 01-20-2007, 02:30 PM

Thanks Commatoze and shovelhead. Now I see. I do have the pop and lock,(looks good after you peel their ad sticker off) but I think I'll do this too, then it should be too aggravating for a lazya$$ thief.
Old 01-20-2007, 03:25 PM

I have the bully lock and while its probably not a complete deterrent it is as many others have offered enough to have the dirt bags move on to another vehicle. Dealer installed option, and believe it or not it was only $20 on the window sticker. Probably the only aftermarket part in recorded history that the ******* doesnt gouge you on!
Old 01-20-2007, 06:17 PM

I installed a bully tailgate lock on mine. Installation was easy and the job looks factory. The key lock is up inside where you reach to unlock the tailgate. You should be able to find them for under $30. Great deal.
Old 01-20-2007, 07:11 PM

I bought a electric tail gate lock on ebay for $69 it locks the tail gate when you lock your doors.
Old 01-20-2007, 07:20 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts
Most hardware stores stock hose clamps. Just check around until you find the right one. Hose clamps that use an Allen key may be a bit hard to find, so instead use a SS hose clamp with a hex head. Locate the hex head in such a manner that it can only be reached using a 1/4 drive socket and an extension. Better still, twist it so that a box end wrench is the only tool that will tighten (or loosen) the clamp. This is a bit of a pain, but worth it. No lock will stop a determined thief, especially if he has some time, but the hose clamp on my truck will definitely discourage him enough that the will probably leave my tailgate along and go and steal yours.
Old 01-20-2007, 08:53 PM

What size hose clamp works?
Old 01-20-2007, 09:53 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts
Can't remember what size I used, but think it was a 1.25 inch. Just measure the diameter of the largest part you want to place the clamp over. A 1.5 inch will work for sure, but there will be a tail sticking out after it is tightened.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Mexstan
Most hardware stores stock hose clamps. Just check around until you find the right one. Hose clamps that use an Allen key may be a bit hard to find, so instead use a SS hose clamp with a hex head. Locate the hex head in such a manner that it can only be reached using a 1/4 drive socket and an extension. Better still, twist it so that a box end wrench is the only tool that will tighten (or loosen) the clamp. This is a bit of a pain, but worth it. No lock will stop a determined thief, especially if he has some time, but the hose clamp on my truck will definitely discourage him enough that the will probably leave my tailgate along and go and steal yours.
Good idea on making the slot in the hose clamp not work with a regular flathead screwdriver....I'm going to weld some filler rod into the slot....have to use a socket or wrench then.
Oh yeah, I've had a hose clamp on mine for about two years now....it gives a little more piece of mind. Now if they steal the whole truck I guess a hose clamp isn't going to matter
Old 01-29-2007, 03:55 PM

RPrice not to be a smart A$$ but did you feel anything hit you in the back on the way out, after picking up your new tail gate? I had to replace mine on a 03 and didn't pay but half of that even after having the spray on liner done to it.

Quick Reply: stolen tailgates