3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Stereo Buffs? In dash NAvigation

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 09:22 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stereo Buffs? In dash NAvigation

I am looking for a new IN DASH, Touch screen NAv unit. I believe the LAramie DOdge mega cab 2500s are dobule din.

I am looking at this one

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...264980,00.html

THey also have this one
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...585964,00.html

I am confused though. D2 seems as though it came out later then the D3. Did it? Which one is better and why? Any other you would recommend?
Old 03-18-2007, 09:42 PM

used to be in the biz

personally I would look at the alpine or jensen modles

that is my humble opinion
Old 03-18-2007, 10:26 PM

The way I understand it is only the trucks with nav have a double din, otherwise it is din and a half. You would need to buy the radio bezel from the nav trucks to switch. This is what I am going to do but I am holding out for Alpine's new IVA-W205, which is coming out in about May. It uses a seperate hand-held GPS that docks behind the screen for the navigation. Best of both worlds in my opinion - take it with you if jump in another vehicle.

Darren
Old 03-18-2007, 10:38 PM
Banned

AVIC-Z1 is the only way to go.

Pics in gallery and tons of info via search.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by scoggins
used to be in the biz

personally I would look at the alpine or jensen modles

that is my humble opinion
I was nto aware of eiuther company making a touch scren nav not to mention jenson making anything of quality
Old 03-18-2007, 10:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jrussell
AVIC-Z1 is the only way to go.

Pics in gallery and tons of info via search.
I cannot find where this one is touch screen or not. is it?
Old 03-18-2007, 10:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by vegashd
I cannot find where this one is touch screen or not. is it?
Yes sir!

I've heard you can get them for ~$800 new these days.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:58 PM
Banned

Yes sir!

I've heard you can get them for ~$800 new these days.
I just read it is touch screen. But on EBay the cheapest I found them for was 1300 or so. THey are endi every 20 minutes for this price.

I really like this one as it seems to have Sirius already just need to activate it. DO nto need to add a tuner for sirius. i am ordering one up.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:01 PM
Banned

I just read it is touch screen. But on EBay the cheapest I found them for was 1300 or so. THey are endi every 20 minutes for this price.

I really like this one as it seems to have Sirius already just need to activate it. DO nto need to add a tuner for sirius. i am ordering one up.
Check Amazon.com. That's where I heard you could get them for less.

AFAIK the Sirius tuner is not built-in. I believe it's an optional module like the Bluetooth, Ipod, and TV tuners.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Strokedelky
The way I understand it is only the trucks with nav have a double din, otherwise it is din and a half. You would need to buy the radio bezel from the nav trucks to switch.
All of the new trucks have double din space but you would need to purchase new dash trim to get the best finished look.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:22 PM
Banned

Check Amazon.com. That's where I heard you could get them for less.

AFAIK the Sirius tuner is not built-in. I believe it's an optional module like the Bluetooth, Ipod, and TV tuners.
hmmm the Website said all i have to do is call and activate it like our trucks. The D2 D3 you need a tuner it says... could be wrong though.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:35 AM

I am looking for a new IN DASH, Touch screen NAv unit. I believe the LAramie DOdge mega cab 2500s are dobule din.
Just want to mention that all currently available indash units are a compromise in GPS function and performance. No problem in wanting form over function, but in dash form has a heafty premium to pay for mediocre GPS features.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:30 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ColdCase
Just want to mention that all currently available indash units are a compromise in GPS function and performance. No problem in wanting form over function, but in dash form has a heafty premium to pay for mediocre GPS features.
I disagree. How many different in-dash units did you try before coming to this conclusion?
Old 03-19-2007, 09:42 AM

I disagree. How many different in-dash units did you try before coming to this conclusion?
All of them. But then again they may provide all the function you need. I would caution to just not get caught up in the "in dash" hype. I almost did a few months ago and am glad I did a little more research and reason took over. I hear that in a few months there may be models with much better capability without the limitations and for a better price compromise.

Sorry my PC crashed while composing and what was posted originally was a bit flippant, hope no one read it.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:55 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ColdCase

what is so mediocre about the indash units? What have you tried? What are they lacking? I have had in dash units of the pastand they had every feature needed. My aftermarket and factory nav units, Pioneer, Lexus, Infiniti, Nissan.

The reason I want a touchscreen cause if you have ever used the toggle switch like most factory units come with it is a pain in the but when you have a Lexus with the touch screen. i can enter an address in about 10 seconds on the LExus, about a minute on the toggle style. Let me tell you, when your looking at properties everyday for investments and you look at 20 address per day you would want touch screen?

Quick Reply: Stereo Buffs? In dash NAvigation