3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Steering wheel worn already?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 08:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering wheel worn already?

Hey guys,

I just turned 66K miles on my truck, and the 'finish' on the steering wheel is already starting to wear off...?

I don't have a cover on it because I don't like the way they make the wheel so big around. 90% of my driving is done on a highway, not a lot of backing/maneuvering, or anything that would excessively wear the steering wheel.

Any idea if this is common?

Would a warranty (extended) cover something like this?

If not...ebay has a few wheels...guess I'll get one and put a cover on it.

Just seeing if anyone else has the same problem...

SQ
Old 06-11-2007, 09:03 AM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My top half is smooth! No little squigglies left in it. Doesn't look too bad to me though. 140k
Old 06-11-2007, 09:29 AM

The wheel seemed big when I put a cover on. I got used to it though and it feels natural now.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:51 AM

Mine is smooth, but the gloss is also gone...this happened on my old dodge as well. Before long, I ended up getting rubber particles on my hands and lap after each time I drove it.

The sad thing is that the steering wheel is wearing out before I have even done a brake job on the truck..lol, guess I can't complain about that too much!

SQ
Old 06-11-2007, 10:21 AM

My steering wheel feels rough as well after 67k. I have had two covers on it, but it makes the wheel bigger and uncomfortable at times. I wish that I didn't have the leater-wrapped wheel, but I guess its too late now. Anyone take the leather off the wheel? I wonder if I could get a steering wheel with the cruise controls on it with no leather.....
Old 06-11-2007, 10:28 AM

Ebay has 2 right now with cruise and no leather...but one has a slight 'bend' in it probably from an accident where they held the wheel during impact.

They are $25.00 + $13 shipping as of right now...not bad.

I will end up buying a replacement if the warranty wont cover it. I'm afraid it's considered normal wear/tear though...

SQ
Old 06-11-2007, 11:53 AM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
You will be hard pressed to get warranty to cover it. There is no physical damage or mfg flaw. They will chalk it up to normal wear. Have been that route when I was writing service at a dealership for over 3 years. Good luck though. Let us know if they do cover it, I have seen stranger things with warranty companies.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:57 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
I had 4 replaced under warranty, all before 36k. They never said anything about it, just gave me a new one every time. This one seem to be doing good. Just make sure that there is nothing on your hands... bug spray, gas, ect. It will take that finish off.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:16 PM

I have been using Lexol leather conditioner and treatment on both our steering wheels since we got the trucks. So far they both look like new. I used it on my old 01.5 and the wheel still looked new when I sold the truck with 89k on it.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:45 PM

Mine is not leather...so I really never put anything on it, just wiped it clean.

I may have the dealer look at it next time I go in...knowing them, they'll blame the premature wheel decay on the the aftermarket exhaust and oversized tires/leveling kit

SQ
Old 06-11-2007, 02:20 PM

Just curious, you ever have diesel get on your hands while at the pump and hop back in the truck? (even when you wipe it off, it still stays on your hand a bit)

My last truck had a cover over the factory wheel and STILL did it.
I usually wear gloves, but sometimes ill forget or be in a hurry.
Old 06-11-2007, 02:26 PM

I definitely get diesel on my hands from time to time...but if diesel was doing the damage, it would happen all over the wheel, as I usually have to maneuver in/out of the gas pumps, thus using the whole wheel to turn it.

SQ
Old 06-11-2007, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by ShawnQ
I definitely get diesel on my hands from time to time...but if diesel was doing the damage, it would happen all over the wheel, as I usually have to maneuver in/out of the gas pumps, thus using the whole wheel to turn it.

SQ
Maybe just from your hand sitting in one spot?
Im not saying the diesel did all the damage, just might have helped it.

The sun gets bad in Texas too, not sure if you use a sunshade or not. Im guilty of rarely using mine, and mine is starting to show wear on the top of the steering wheel, since thats usually where I grab it(I drive one handed usually, at 10/11oclock)
Old 06-11-2007, 02:47 PM

I have had a wheel replaced under warranty. The second one lasted about as long as the first one. Not long enough. I am over 50k now so I am not sure if the 100 bucks is worth it or if it is even covered. The dealer did not even blink when I asked for a new one last time though. Good luck.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:52 PM
Banned

This guy I work with did the same with his Powerjoke.

You guys need to invest in a little Jergens.

Quick Reply: Steering wheel worn already?