3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Steering wander

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 01:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Steering wander

I've got a 2006 2500 SLT short bed, my steering feels as if it wanders, one moment it is far left, then far right. Usually I have to keep the wheel far left. I have 20K miles on it. I took it to the dealer 3X's and they refused to put it on the rack (they don't get paid for warranty work). The dealer only test drove it and said it was fine. I did notice that one time they adjusted the pitman arm. Any suggestions?
Old 01-22-2007, 01:50 AM

I dont have any suggetions for that, but it sure sounds awful. Maybe you could take it into a shop that offers free estimates, and have them check out the front end, then bring that info back to the dealer and see what they say then,,, might work..

Kevin
Old 01-22-2007, 05:06 AM

pgcountycop, Ready to get under your truck? Have you rotated your tires, at all? is the tire pressure correct in them? If thats all ok, have a friend or significant other get in your truck. Start it. Have them slowly move the steering wheel back and forth, a few inches both ways. The pittman arm is the arm that comes off the steering gear box. There is a tie rod end there. Watch to see if theres any play in that tie rod end or any other tie rod end. Any play at all in any of them, tell your dealer. Also, watch if theres any hesistation or movement of the pitmann arm as the steering wheel is steadilly moving back and forth, Your steering gear can be out of adjustment or bad. Also as the whell is going back and forth watch for any hesitation at all in either tire. ( steering wheel is still going back and forth but one or both tires hesitate at a certain point). Check this then post your results.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:51 AM

Thanks, I'll have my wife jump in tomorrow morning when I get off work. I'll let you know what I see.
Old 01-23-2007, 07:56 AM

AirGrabber, I noticed that when my wife moved the steering wheel to the left, the whole front axle moved towards the left with the tires, control arms and tires move properly. If she moved it immediately to the right, there was hesitation before any component moved. If she released the steering wheel from the turn (either right or left) it snapped back in the opposite direction, causing the axle to center with the tires staying in place. I have not rotated my tires, as I'm getting new rims and tires in a few days. But I have had this wander problem since day one.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:26 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Possibly a track bar problem?
Old 01-23-2007, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by pgcountycop
I've got a 2006 2500 SLT short bed, my steering feels as if it wanders, one moment it is far left, then far right. Usually I have to keep the wheel far left. I have 20K miles on it. I took it to the dealer 3X's and they refused to put it on the rack (they don't get paid for warranty work). The dealer only test drove it and said it was fine. I did notice that one time they adjusted the pitman arm. Any suggestions?
Dealers do get paid for warranty work. The movement in the axle you stated is probably normal. There are rubber bushings in the track bar, steering linkage, control arms etc that will give, especially when you are turning the wheels without the truck moving. As long as they are moving together. It is when there is independent movement of any individual component of the steering system that you have a problem.

1st thing- I would get that thing up on a 4wheel alignment rack. That is probably the problem. I can't believe your dealer won't do this for you.

2nd thing - The steering gear box loose/leaking. Does the steering shaft that the pitman arm attaches to have any play? That can be adjusted and that will tighten up the feel at the steering wheel. I had to do that on mine last fall after 10 months and 40k miles.

3rd- Check your stabilizer end links. That is another item I have replaced in the last year. You can grab the stabilizer at each end and try and move it up and down. If it clunks, then the end link is bad. That is an easy fix, but a little pricy $60-80.
Old 01-23-2007, 01:03 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Go to a different dealer, you may be amazed at the results.
Old 01-23-2007, 04:52 PM

thats a trac bar problem, unless its lifted then your trac bar/steering component angles are not right. to be honest tho, im not sure what your used to driving, but as much as i love these trucks, they dont track as well going down the freeway as something with IFS.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:20 PM

pgcountycop, going by what your saying about a hesitation, follow whats not moving when it hesitates, starting at the shaft going into the steering gear, pitman arm, tie rod end, ect...... For example, If you see the shaft going into the steering gear moving and the shaft coming out hesitating, your gear may need adjusted or replaced. I'll have to bet you'll find play in either the gear or the tie rod end.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like a combination of problems. Having just tackled all of this myself:

1. Start with the track bar end bushings...they are probably shot. I've seen this happen on different trucks at different times...doesn't shock me that they only lasted 20K. You should get them to replace the bar, or spend your $$ and get an upgraded track bar.

2. Check the pitman arm and steering shaft...if there is play there in the shaft get them to replace your steering box. Play in the shaft is a sign that the box is already wearing out. You can also eliminate the play with a DSS steering brace, but I'd replace the box first if there is a lot of play.

3. Check the tie rod ends on the knuckles. Have someone turn the wheels back and forth while you watch the tie rod ends. If the ends move in the knuckle (even the slightest movement) while turning you need to replace the ends. Same deal with the rod end at the pitman arm. Have the dealer replace the ends or spend your $$$ on a better setup like a crossover steering setup.

Let us know more of what you find out.
Old 02-02-2007, 06:39 PM

Ok, finally got dealer to look at/fix problem. I feel semi-ignorant though lmao. My truck did need an alignment, but I needed 25lbs of air in my tires, and I have driven rack and pinion suspension all my life. This ball and joint just doesn't react the same. So, yes it drives better, and I have a host of new things to pay attention to now, thanks to all the advise from this site. Thanks for your responses guys, I appreciate it, even though I am a partial dumb (donkey). LMAO
Old 02-02-2007, 06:46 PM

Don't feel bad man. I had a simular experience with my wife's POS volvo. Believe Volvo's (after ferd bought) are HUGE POSs don't get me started.

Anyway, my wife was complaining the volvo was always favoring left. It got pretty bad where to make a sharp left hand lane change, all that was needed was to let go of the steering wheel.

I took it to a wheel works to have them check the alignment. They told me the sub frame was damaged and the could not get the car aligned. I was like, snuh? This volvo POS was never in an accident.

Well I decided to finally check the airpressure. She had a nail in the left front tire and it had about 20 pounds of air in it........Patched tire, inflated, POS volvo tracked straight again.