3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Steering Recall (H56) - What did they do?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 07:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering Recall (H56) - What did they do?

Last fall I got a recall notice - said if my truck had a steering repair between a couple of dates that it might have bad parts installed. My truck has never been back to the dealer (except oil change #1) so no chance it has the problem, but I got a 2nd notice last week so I took it in. The service writer said it would take about 2 seconds - just a visual check.

Took it in (needed the state safety inspection, too) - was there just under two hours. My receipt says the following:

"RH46 RECALL INSPECT STEERING LINKAGE IN WRITE UP AREA 19H46181 NC, INSPECT LINKAGE AND REPLACE INNER DRAG LINK jOINT ONLY 19H46182 .40, INSPECT AND REPLACED PITMAN ARM ONLY 19H46183 .50, INSPECT REPLACED PITMAN AND INNER DRAG LINK 19H46184 .6"

When I question the service writer he said they had to take things apart to see if I had the correct parts, and then put everything back together and line it up - said my truck had the right parts, good to go. No charge.

When I look at the steering parts they don't look like any nuts or bolts have just been taken apart - things still have that light coat of rust that seems typical for a 5 year old Dodge - but that doesn't mean they didn't really do something (tho' I think I know what the Pitman arm is, not so sure I know which is the inner drag link). I don't think I could wrench under there for an hour and not leave any signs....

What just happened to my truck? What are those codes (like 19H46184) and what do they mean? Did they really do any work, and was it needed for this recall? Did they just do this so they could bill Chrysler for some time, or was this legitimate (and when the guy told me on the phone it was a 2 second visual check that he was wrong)?

Has this happened to anyone else on this recall?
Old 06-05-2010, 11:27 PM

i just had this and i looked under mine and had a brand new "tie rod end" looking deal in the center of the truck. Maybe that what they call the drag link.....but it was brand new......I posted in another post how ****** i was cause when I drove away, my steering wheel was at the 9 oclock position heading straight. 90 seconds later I was back and they were extreemly embarrased.....
Old 06-06-2010, 02:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Basically some folks have had the new 2009 steering installed. The first version of this steering setup, called the "AD" version, was recalled.

Later versions "AE" and "AF" are ok.

If you've never had the steering update done your truck should have been ok.

The old style steering is basically an inverted Y setup and the new steering is an inverted T. The new steering setup is a lot beefier and a lot of folks have had it installed to help with steering issues and to help prevent the death wobble.

There is a lot of reading on the forums about this, just look at the sticky at the top of the 3rd gen non-drivetrain forum. https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...8-t230988.html

Here is a picture so you can get the idea of the inverted Y and T.

http://sourceautomotive.biz/2003-200...nglinkage.aspx

The source version has grease zerks installed but is otherwise the same as the new steering setup.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-06-2010, 03:27 AM

Thanks for the replies - after the dealer visit my truck has nothing that looks replaced (like the upgraded photo shows) or even taken apart and put back together. I think they made me sit around for 2 hours for nothing - did nothing to my truck that I can see - so they could bill time & get paid by Dodge for recall work. If that is the case I hope they get caught & punished. Maybe I'll send a note to Dodge so they can look into it if they care. Love the truck but hate going to the dealers.
Old 06-06-2010, 04:48 AM

From what you describe, it definitely sounds like a case of warranty fraud. I'd send Dodge a letter with your observations including the invoice and a few pictures.

It never ceases to amaze me what people think is OK.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:48 AM
There is no G. There is no G. Repeat after me, THERE IS NO G!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To execute the H46 recall they just have to look underneath. Takes as long as the person needs to get down there and back up.

If you got billed for that start making some calls.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:14 AM

I took mine in and the tech walked out with me, craweld under, looked and said good to go I had the right parts. 30 seconds total. Sounds like they are padding the bill.