3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Steel Chrome Clad Wheels vs Alloys?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 02:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Steel Chrome Clad Wheels vs Alloys?

Just picked up my truck (1-2-05) and found that it did not come equipped with alloys. It has the Steel Chrome Clad Wheels which is a steel wheel with a chrome cover. It was not stated on the invoice as having alloys, but most trucks that I saw at dealership had alloys so I assumed that it came with alloys. The truck was dealer traded with the sister dealership so i did not see it til I picked it up for delivery. I already purchased truck and told dealer I was not happy with steel wheels. After telling me that there was nothing they could do except to look for another truck with alloys, I agreed to keep them if they would pay for the cost ($350) of a spray bedliner. They agreed.

I'm now thinking I should have gotten the alloys. A friend tells me he would take the bedliner and purchase aftermarket alloys for a cost of about $150 per wheel. I could call salesman back and tell him I'm unhappy, but after signing, taking delivery, and telling him I was OK with deal, he may not be willing to do anything!

Since I have not owned a truck with steel wheels, how will they hold up? Should I go for alloys or just replace with aftermarket alloys at a later date?

Thanks!!

Boy, I need to get these little details over and done with so I can begin to enjoy my CUMMINS!!!!
Old 01-03-2005, 02:12 PM

i ran into the same thing, but i made them swap before i did the deal. i got the aluminum rims. see if they have a demo to swap them.
Old 01-03-2005, 03:06 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
I'd double-check the window sticker (also making sure the VIN of truck is the same VIN on said window sticker). Unless they have changed things around with the SRW Sport Package, it should have the polished forged alloy wheels. If it came from a "sister" dealer, maybe someone at the other dealer is to blame for the possible missing equipment.
I think you'll be OK with the steel wheels, but the alloys look best in my opinion. Check out the classifieds here on this site and others.....I'm sure you'll find a set soon if that's what you really want. I sold my OE alloys and bought a set of '05 alloys from a friend....they look nice.
Greg
Old 01-03-2005, 03:12 PM

Mine had alloy but looked too much like a work truck, I had em put on chrome. I got the chrome nerf bars and the rims continue the chrome line real well.
I know the alloy wheels cost more though and seem to have heard they are standard on Laramie. I've had no trouble with the chrome, just hit em with carnuba wax and they shinelike the sun.
Old 01-03-2005, 06:07 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
BAJA,

You might take a look at the H2 wheel option that a lot of us have gone with. It may be a bit early, so run yours for a while and decide if you want to go to 315's or not and if you end up liking the wheels you got or not. The steel wheels are not going to break. If you decide you want the Dodge aluminum wheels you could PM me as I have the new ones I took off when I went to the H2's.

Wetspirit
Old 01-03-2005, 09:00 PM

Thanks Wetspirit! What are the H2's and do you have any pics or is there a website where they can be viewed? The dealer is checking to see if maybe the Sport Appearance Group, when added to the SRW option, is supposed to come with the alloys. I'll know tomorrow. I had the 315's on my ford and it was lifted 2-3". I will not lift thgis truck, but may add a larger tire after these wear out. Do the 315's fit on the stock suspension? Also, can you get an E rated tire on a 315? Also, I believe I would need a wider rim for a 315?

Thanks!
Old 01-03-2005, 09:04 PM

I like my steel wheels, but Im an offroader, and I tend to be hard on wheels.. and steel generally hold up better for me.. and my wheels have held up well...
Scott
Old 01-03-2005, 09:24 PM
Chapter President

Baja,

I took mine with steel wheels, Last week I found a guy that lifted his truck after 4K miles and he sold me his tires and shiny aluminum wheels for 400 bucks. I can not tell a difference in ride at all.

Tom
Old 01-03-2005, 11:19 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
BAJA,

I don't have any pix posted but you can do a search and find some. Search for H2 wheels and 315's. The H2 wheels are a very good choice for these trucks. They have to have the center hole opened up a bit to fit (read my procedure on this, or go to a machine shop) but they are the perfect width and offset for our trucks. Some don't care for the way they look. I like them and think they look better than the stock ones, they are strong and cheap, and they work very well. The stock wheels will accept the 315's but they are a little narrow and they seem to rub on the inside while turned fully on some of the trucks. If you want a bigger tire the BFG 315's are the way to go. They are D rated and can carry 3,195 lbs each.

Wetspirit
Old 01-04-2005, 04:36 AM

I prefer the chrome wheels but you can always find new alloy take-offs for cheap. Check the classifieds here or go to e-bay. Buy some, switch them, and then sell your chrome ones for the same price...
Old 01-04-2005, 07:47 AM

I had a similar problem or issue. I ordered my 05 late august and the option for the aluminum showed as forged aluminum wheels. They couldn't show a pic of what they looked like, and I got a look at the crome clad and was satisfied. After a month or 2 the forged wheels started showing on the lot and I wanted to switch but it was too late. I was forcing the issue, but the dealer did me a few other favors and i decided not to push the issue and saved around 550 bucks on the wheels and tires. I'm real happy with the crome clad wheels now, and the look is fine. It appears that they switched from cast aluminum wheels to forged aluminum wheels to prevent failure or defects from the cast wheels I had on my 03. The forged are less likely to crack, and they are glossier. So if you buy used- be sure you get the forged not the cast aluminum.
I like the idea of running them a while and if not satisfied buying a used set. I'm gonna keep mine, and wear out this set of tires before considering any change. Once you start using the truck for a while, you'll be preoccupied whith all the other details and you'll forget about the wheels for a while.
Happy driving.
Old 01-04-2005, 11:23 AM

I do not think the allow wheels are available for the 9900lb truck.
Old 01-04-2005, 12:51 PM

The forged aluminum are available.
Old 01-04-2005, 01:45 PM

When you guys go to this 315 tire, which looks awesome by the way, what happens to you`re gas milage? also can we run the 315 on a stock rim?

thanks
Old 01-04-2005, 05:10 PM

Yes they fit on the stock rims with no lift. I lost over 1 mpg with them....

Quick Reply: Steel Chrome Clad Wheels vs Alloys?