3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

SQUEAKY, SQUEAKY, u joint? Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 03:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SQUEAKY, SQUEAKY, u joint? Help

My truck has a squeak that is driving my crazy. I think it maybe a u joint in the rear driveshaft. It is most obvious when I am in gear costing down a hill at slow speed. If I put it in neutral it goes away. It is just squeak-squeak-squeak-squeak. Gets faster with speed but generally goes away with some throttle. Almost sounded like a bushing or shock at first but Im not sure now.

Sometimes when I shift in and out of gears it also lets out alittle squeak at the point when the clutch is initally pushed and fully released.

I crawled under and looked and the forward most u joint next to the T case looks wet. While the other two look dry. Not sure what im supposed to see.

If thats what you guys think it may be can I limp it long? I think I may just get a one piece driveshaft and traction bars instead of throwing money at this shaft.
Just looking for imput hopefully nothing to do with the tranny. It never slips or has any issues as far as I can tell.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I used to have a squeak that drove me crazy also! I could never figure out what it was. Then I finally found it when I had my Dynatrac free spin hubs put on. It was my Carli track bar. Had to replace it because the jam nut loosened up, and eventually the threads stripped out. Replaced it with another one, and no more squeak! Not saying that might be your squeak, but it was the cause of the squeak I had.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:01 PM

I know that the sounds came come from somewhere other then were u think you hear them. But I'm almost posotive that this coming from under the cab back.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I use to have a squeak noise as well that came from the front. I found out what mine was. It was my brake pads that had uneven wear and they were warped a bit and were starting to show signs of cracks. I looked at them while they were still in the caliper so I assumed they were fine (the part I could see looked thick enough not to worry about and the warning clip wasn't even close to touching the brake disc). Then one day I took them out and inspected them in my hands and that is when I saw at what I described above. Now no more squeak..squeak.....
Old 11-20-2012, 09:57 AM

RamGazer... I have checked mine also, because of a squeak-squeak that was/ is intermittent... I never thought about a warped Pad...

--How much is the one pice Driveshaft?? I have the 2 piece (2wd), and its time for me to replace the u-joints... And having to do it myself-- I'm wondering if the long term benefits outweigh the initial cost of a one-piece...
Old 11-21-2012, 04:35 PM

Well a little update,

I put in neutral and crawled under the truck today. The rear u joint has a small amount of play. Also I wish I new what a new carrier bearing looks like. But I think mine is shot. When i shake the hole shaft up and down or side to side the sound the carrier bearing makes sounds similiar to what I here while driving. It almost looks burnt up.

Looks like I'm just gonna order a One piece friday or monday. Thanks Guys.