3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Squeak

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 11:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Squeak

So, I have this erratic squeak that for the life of me I can not locate. No particular movement, turning or braking seems to cause it. I've driven down rough roads, speed bumps and nothing. Then drive down a stretch semi-smooth and bam, rapid fire squeaking. I've been crawling around my truck, greasing, tightening, poking, pulling and moving Edit to no avail. I have not been able to duplicate or cause the noise on my own. It's a high pitched squeak like metal on metal and started suddenly. One day all was well and the next day there it was. Any help would be great, squeaks you've had, other areas I should check, anything. It's killing me!

Thanks,

Jacob
Old 01-10-2014, 08:37 AM

check your brake calipers, I have a squeek also and I beleive its the sliders or similiar, just need to find the time to check it out
Old 01-10-2014, 09:02 AM
"How in the heck do I change the phrase in between my user name and avatar?"

Is it isolated to the front end? If so, don't rule out the u-joints. When my axle-shaft joints failed they only squeeked intermittently.....took quite a while to finally track down where the noise was coming from. There was no sloppy movement when I checked them....until I pulled them apart. What was left of the needles and piles of rust fell out of the caps.

Just something to think about.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:36 AM

I've recently install a whole Thuren/Carli system, but had the squeak before the suspension work. I've checked my ball/u-joints and all seem fine. I've had Dynatrac's manual hubs for 40k miles or so and a steering box brace too. Truck is an 05 with 48k.

Thanks guys.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:12 PM

Check the little rubber things that stop the hood when it closes. Put some silicone grease on the top of them where they contact the bottom of the hood. Mine squeak all of the time and it is very loud in the cab.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by 00Dog
Check the little rubber things that stop the hood when it closes. Put some silicone grease on the top of them where they contact the bottom of the hood. Mine squeak all of the time and it is very loud in the cab.

Greased, still squeaking... I did take a power washer to my truck, more attention given to the undercarriage, and the squeaking disappeared for about 20 minutes. Then after everything dried, I'm assuming, the squeak returned.... The hunt continues...
Old 01-17-2014, 05:02 AM

Check and see if you lost one of your leaf spring clinch clip isolators. I had and it would squeak at the weirdest times.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Vots
Check and see if you lost one of your leaf spring clinch clip isolators. I had and it would squeak at the weirdest times.

Rear leafs are good, new Carli packs and had the squeak before the new Carli's. Thanks for idea though.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:27 PM

Sound like one I had. It drove me nuts. Only noticed it when on smooth road with window open. Louder when echoed off of parked cars or solid walls next to road. Finely went to dealer and they found a bad rear u-joint. replaced under warranty and no more squeeeeek. I did look for looseness in the u-joints and all seemed O.K. to me, prior to going in. Dealer said sometimes they dry out and squeak before they wear out. ?
Old 01-22-2014, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by jhenson
Is it isolated to the front end? If so, don't rule out the u-joints. When my axle-shaft joints failed they only squeeked intermittently.....took quite a while to finally track down where the noise was coming from. There was no sloppy movement when I checked them....until I pulled them apart. What was left of the needles and piles of rust fell out of the caps.

Just something to think about.
Originally Posted by shep1
Sound like one I had. It drove me nuts. Only noticed it when on smooth road with window open. Louder when echoed off of parked cars or solid walls next to road. Finely went to dealer and they found a bad rear u-joint. replaced under warranty and no more squeeeeek. I did look for looseness in the u-joints and all seemed O.K. to me, prior to going in. Dealer said sometimes they dry out and squeak before they wear out. ?

I've said it once already! It drove me nuts trying to find it. First time was rear joints, second time around it was front axle shaft joints.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by shep1

I've checked and had a diesel mechanic friend check my ball and u-joints and he felt they were fine. I don't have any vibration at freeway speeds or at any speed. He did say I had a tad of play in my tie rods, but not enough to replace. Would that cause any noise? There is no increase with the squeak during turning movements. The only time it occurs is when I drive over expansion type bumps, small choppy type stuff, and the whole truck is bouncing, but just slightly. Big stuff doesn't cause it. Think I'm going to just follow my wife's advice and turn my stereo up...... She thinks I'm nuts....
Old 01-24-2014, 06:46 AM

have a look at your shocks and body mounts, had the rubbers pound out on 2 sets of shocks, maybe yours are starting and are just getting enough play to squeak.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:40 AM

Check your spare tire and make sure it's tight against the bed.
Old 01-26-2014, 06:46 PM

Those telling me to check my u-joints, besides the noise, is there any other signs I should look for? I tried using a GoPro, for the heck of it, truck drowns the squeak out.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:58 PM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
You need one of these, http://www.ebay.com/itm/SOUND-DIAGNO...p2054897.l4275 our shop has one and I use it all the time.

Quick Reply: Squeak