3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Spray in Bed Liner in a dented Bed

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 01:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Spray in Bed Liner in a dented Bed

I've been wanting to spray the bed of my truck from some time now (just been lazy ) and now that there's more dents and dings in it then i can count i'm wondering if there's any prep work that will need to be done before spraying. Most of the dents are minor, but i have a huge dent on the wheel well (Yamaha dealer drove my Rhino in too fast and came down on the wheel well...oh and smashed out my rear window.. but anyway) Will i need to prep the bigger dents with some kind of body filler or will the spray in liner fill that up?
Old 05-07-2009, 03:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Clane
I've been wanting to spray the bed of my truck from some time now (just been lazy ) and now that there's more dents and dings in it then i can count i'm wondering if there's any prep work that will need to be done before spraying. Most of the dents are minor, but i have a huge dent on the wheel well (Yamaha dealer drove my Rhino in too fast and came down on the wheel well...oh and smashed out my rear window.. but anyway) Will i need to prep the bigger dents with some kind of body filler or will the spray in liner fill that up?
If you can get to them, id try to knock some of the large ones back out a little, but the small ones I wouldnt worry about, truck bed is meant to be used, and its going to get more messed up the more you use it

As much as I hate the cheapo plastic liners, I love them for the simple fact it hides all those dents and easy to slide heavy stuff across too
Old 05-07-2009, 03:55 PM

If you have a HUGE dent in the wheel well , the liner won`t "fill it in"...and if you just fill it in with bondo , they may not warranty the spray in liner over what you`ve done.

Any large dents will need to be beat out as to as close to orig. as possible then repaired will a small amt. of body filler , then primed with a good 2 part epoxy primer.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:39 PM

Thumbs down

Forget about it!
Old 05-08-2009, 01:48 AM

My experience was that the bed liner followed the contour of the bed - dents and all. Mine was very dented, due to actually using the bed to haul a lot of wood.

Hal
Old 05-08-2009, 07:16 AM

I'm throwing in DODGE plastic liner in mine as i have DENTS too and like mentioned above, it not only HIDES dents and looks better, it's a HECK of a lot easier moving stuff around. I had one in my last dodge, it was GREAT! Whatever route you take, it's going to look better than it does, just keep that in mind
Old 05-08-2009, 09:21 AM

I did line-x in my 05. 1 day after I purchased the truck, I hooked my snowmobile trailer up to it, and noticed that when I let the tailgate down it hit the top of the trailer tounge jack. (about 1" from top of tailgate)
I told my father to be careful, but after a day of snowmobiling he had forgotten. He went to open the tailgate and dropped it right on the jack leaving a nice big dent. I had the line-x guy do over the rail low enough to cover the dent and he was able to fill it in.
My 07 has a drop in dodge line, as you can find brand new ones on craigslist for $50. I have the dodge liner on the tailgate as-well, but will remove it one of these days and have the tailgate sprayed over the rail. I see little scratches where the plastic liner flexes on the paint at the top of the tailgate where you put your hand to open and close, over the rail line-x will hide the existing scratches, and eliminate additional scratching.
Old 05-09-2009, 02:17 AM

I was thinking of cutting mine flush with the top of tailgate to prevent this. I have a tonneau to cover the top..
Old 05-09-2009, 02:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I figured it would fill in the small ones, but my main concern was the bigger on on the wheel well.

I had a drop in Dodge liner in my old half ton. It was nice but after a few year in the Las Vegas sun, it started to "shrink" and collapse in on itself. That and it was slick as (censored)..

Thanks again for everyone's input!