3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Splash guards

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 11:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Splash guards

I have searched and found some info on this topic, but have a couple more questions. I have ordered a set of Mopar Splashguards... because.. this 40 thousand dollar truck cant be driven down a gravel road without destroying itself (I love it though)..... My question.. How hard are they to install? The dealership wanted 160 bucks to install them... do they use the at least 2 of the factory holes? How many do you have to drill?? Also, do they really work??
Old 08-01-2005, 11:15 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
All I'll mention to you is if these are the molded ones, be ready to always keep them on. If you mount them, I would try to put a protective strip where they butt up against the body. Reason being, they will rub your paint off, I found out the hard way. On the truck I have now, I put the flat cummins/dodge ones on and they seem to work well. The draw back is I have the BFG A/T's and them buggers grab everything, especially down gravel roads.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:29 AM

Yes, they are the molded ones... I will go with the tape, I do not want the paint all rubbed off...
Old 08-01-2005, 01:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just got rid of the molded plastic Mopar splash guards for exactly that reason! It took less than 1000 miles for them to start rubbing-off the paint where they wrap around the fender lip. Luckily I caught it at a very early stage thanks to this site, and had installed only the rears using only the existing holes. Anyway, here's the complete hole count to answer your question.

fronts: 1 existing hole, 2 drilled into plastic, 2 into painted metal
rears: 3 existing holes, 1 drilled into plastic, 1 into painted metal

I now have the flat rubber ones from Mopar which do not wrap around the fender lip and do not require drilling into painted metal. Also, their overall fit is better and I think they make for a cleaner look.
Old 08-01-2005, 01:54 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I have the flat rubber ones, which I like fine. The dealer installed them, and I noticed that the bottom screws on the fronts wanted to back out/pull a dimple in the sheet metal.

When I bought the rear fender liners, I took the little clip/screw ancors off the stock plastic shield things from behind the rear wheels, and I drilled out where the screws were into sheet metal for the front mud flaps, slipped the clips on the plastic front wheel liners, and have found them to be much more secure...

I'm sure you can buy just the screw ancors if you don't want rear fender liners.

I would also put a bit of clear silicone on the screw threads, to prevent any rust.
Old 08-01-2005, 05:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have thought about adding the splash guards, but I think im just going to wait a while and have my rocker panels sprayed with the spray in bed liner stuff kinda like "medicshawn"s truck in his gallery pics.

I personally don't like the "look" of the splash guards. So far, I really haven't had a problem with my paint chipping, but then again my truck hasn't been off road very much.
Old 08-01-2005, 06:53 PM

I have the Husky molded flaps, they are the same as the Dodge except they come with the 3m tape to protect the paint.

Front 1 existing hole 1 drilled into metal and one drilled into wheel well liner
Rear 1 existing hole 1 drilled into metal and one drilled into wheel well liner

They dont seem to have rubbed any paint yet, been on for about a year. They also have done ok in protecting from the rocks thrown by the BFG 315 A/Ts. They Cummins Badge I added to all 4.

Old 08-01-2005, 07:37 PM
Muted User

Location: "The Peoples Republic of Illinois".....behind enemy lines
Originally posted by TexasCTD
I have thought about adding the splash guards, but I think im just going to wait a while and have my rocker panels sprayed with the spray in bed liner stuff kinda like "medicshawn"s truck in his gallery pics.

I personally don't like the "look" of the splash guards. So far, I really haven't had a problem with my paint chipping, but then again my truck hasn't been off road very much.
I think I will go with the Line-x sprayed rockers as soon as I can find the time to get it into their shop. Already had the bed done and it's great. These factory Michelin tires sling every stone they run over. The Line-x should solve that problem!!!!
Old 08-01-2005, 08:55 PM

I bought a set of the molded ones for the front--there's dealer-installed mudflaps on the rear (complete with dealer name and phone number). I took them out to install them and immediately had second thoughts. I don't like the looks of them or the design at all. I think I'll get some cheap flat ones from an auto parts store instead. The molded ones don't look like they belong on a truck.
Old 08-01-2005, 10:27 PM

I put the molded Mopars on the front and rear of mine. I don't have any probs with them rubbing on the paint. I do have a slight problem with my BFG 315s rubbing on the front flaps at full lock, both left and right. I may have to devise a rig to hold the flaps back just a hair to keep them from rubbing.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:09 AM

Good to hear it is not rubbing everyone's off.. I am going to use some 3m or something similiar.. What about getting stuck with these things on? If I get into mud, and set it down, and have to get drug out.. will these flaps fold over, tear off with no damage to the truck.. or just bend the crap out of my fenders...?? Because, I will get stuck.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:09 AM

Good to hear it is not rubbing everyone's off.. I am going to use some 3m or something similiar.. What about getting stuck with these things on? If I get into mud, and set it down, and have to get drug out.. will these flaps fold over, tear off with no damage to the truck.. or just bend the crap out of my fenders...?? Because, I will get stuck.
Old 08-04-2005, 03:36 PM

I got the flat rubber flaps from the dealer AFTER much stone chips.
They are cheap to buy and very easy to install.
No holes to drill, at least I don't remember drilling any, and you don't have to take the wheels off.
They look better than you might think when you first see them.
Work pretty good and don't rub the paint as molded flaps do.
Actually I think I might of drilled two hole in the fender liner....very easy.