3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Speakers in the door don't work anymore

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 11:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speakers in the door don't work anymore

Hello guys,
One of our company trucks, an '08 2500 Megacab Diesel 4X4 fully loaded, has no more sound coming out of the speakers in the front doors. The two little ones up in the dash work as do the ones in the very back. Sounds like a cheap fisher price radio now... The guys say it was cutting in and out and then stopped working altogether. I'm just wondering what the likely cause might be and if it's something we can fix ourselves as the truck is out of warranty by several thousand KMs...
Thanks.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:58 AM

Sounds like a broken wire. Pull back the black rubber boot that goes from the door to either the A [pillar (front) and B pillar (rear) and look for some broken or bare wires. May have to pull the boot all the way back towards the door to find they break in the bend of the harness.

Shawn
Old 11-04-2010, 09:37 AM

Pull of the door panel (really easy) and investigate further if the black boot looky doesnt let you see anything. i replaced all of my speakers with after markets ones.. man what a difference.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:30 AM

if the sound was going in and out on both speakers, then either a connection on the back of the radio is loose or its chaffing and finnally cut into the wire. it wouldnt be near each speaker if both are doing it, it will have to be at the back of the radio.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Sevir
if the sound was going in and out on both speakers, then either a connection on the back of the radio is loose or its chaffing and finnally cut into the wire. it wouldnt be near each speaker if both are doing it, it will have to be at the back of the radio.
Yeah that's what I thought, the guys driving it at the time said they went in and out and finally quit, both at exactly the same time. The one fellow loves his death metal a bit too much and cranks it so loud you wonder how he can still hear, we teased him all week long that that was the reason they quit working. He's off to Ft. Collins with the truck so won't be able to look at it for about a week or so...
Thanks for the tips so far, we'll get this thing fixed eventually...
Old 12-15-2010, 04:27 PM

Sevir is mistaken. Mine did the same thing, one of the wires actually going to the cone of the drivers door speaker was very crappily soldered and it takes both speakers out of the loop. I tested it and could make both speakers come on and go off by barely touching the wire (actually on the speaker itself). I soldered that one and put it back in, all was fine for about 3 months and now it's doing it again (I was in a hurry and for some reason didn't resolder both of them).

I just bought some new Pioneer 6x9's and will install them this weekend.