3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2003, 09:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speakers

I did not get the upgraded package and was wondering where they hid the sub woofer. I am considering adding one but don't want to sacrifice the back seat area.

Daren
Old 10-21-2003, 02:45 PM

Re:Speakers

I've been looking into the 6" powered Bazzoka to mount under the back seat in the right side storage. I also have the factory sound system standard pkg. I had the Infinity upgrade in my last truck and miss the better sound.
Old 10-21-2003, 02:53 PM

Not to go off topic, but here's some info regarding the front door speakers. The 03+ rigs have 6x9's up front, but the mounting depth is very shallow. Make sure that if you are changing the speakers up front that the basket (magnet) does not interfere with the glass. I replaced my stock speakers with a set of Kenwood KFC-6969IE. They made a huge difference. The treble is much better than the factory speakers. The back doors use 5 1/4 inch speakers, but I haven't changed them yet. I didn't really see the need to yet.

Another note worth mentioning is regarding the speaker holes in the dash. Some models have the optional 7 speaker system. If you pop the plastic panel off the top of the dash, you will see 3 speaker cutouts. They are 3 1/2" openings. Taking a quick peek, I didn't see any wiring, so if you wanted to install speakers here you would probably have to run the proper wiring.
Old 10-22-2003, 12:40 PM

RamDan,
I also am considering an upgrade to the speakers. The Kenwood web site lists the KFC-6969ie has having a 3-1/16" mounting depth. Did yours fit with no modification? Is that the maximum depth that will fit an '03? How do you get the old ones out?
Thanks for any info you can provide.

The Boss Hog
(Cubs? . . . what Cubs?! ;D)
Old 10-22-2003, 12:53 PM

[quote author=The Boss Hog link=board=17;threadid=21230;start=0#msg199785 date=1066844421]
RamDan,
I also am considering an upgrade to the speakers. The Kenwood web site lists the KFC-6969ie has having a 3-1/16" mounting depth. Did yours fit with no modification? Is that the maximum depth that will fit an '03? How do you get the old ones out?
Thanks for any info you can provide.

The Boss Hog
(Cubs? . . . what Cubs?! ;D)
[/quote]

Boss Hog,

The Kenwoods were a perfect fit in my '03. Personally, I wouldn't install anything much deeper, but you may have just a tad more space to play with. The other nice thing with the Kenwoods are that they have relatively small baskets. I tried fitting an old set of Pioneer 6x9's with no luck. I would have needed to fabricate a spacer for them to work.

Removal couldn't be easier. I love the door designs on our '03+ trucks. Here is what you do. Remove the inside door handle with a 10mm socket. Don't worry about losing the bolt, as it will stay attached to the handle. Next remove several screws from the door panel. There is one screw up top by the mirror and two at the bottom of the door panel. After this, carefully lift up on the door panel and pull it toward you. Make sure the lock **** gets pushed through and unclip the wiring harness from the power switches. The speaker comes out with 4 screws. Take the plastic surround off the factory speaker and transfer it to the new one. This will ensure the mounting depth is good and minimize vibration.

If you look at the door panels, you will see that DC elimated those cheesy plastic snap clips that are notorious for breaking. Everything is very well designed in the door.
Old 10-23-2003, 01:27 PM

I'm looking to upgrade speakers as well. Thanks for the instructions for the door removal. I was wonding how tuff that would be.

From what I've found, it looks like the max depth is at least 3 3/16s. I could even be 3 1/4". Anyway, at 3 3/16's there are several 6x9s that fit. Some are made by Infinity, Polk, Sony, JBL, and of course Kenwood.

I'm thinking about the Inifinity Kappa 692.5i model. They actually come with a crossover, so they should sound really good. On the other hand, the crossover makes installation a little more trouble (have to mount it somewhere fairly safe from water). Looks like the 692.5i's run about $95.00 on ebay (brand new).

The new Polk db690's may have an actual crossover built right on the speaker housing, which would elminate the mounting problem (checking on that...).
Old 10-23-2003, 01:38 PM

No problem. The Infinity and Sony speakers should fit too. The only thing i'd look out for is the speaker basket size. The opening in the door isn't big enough for some 6x9's with oversized baskets and magnets.
Old 10-23-2003, 07:58 PM

How much power can the stock speakers take? I was thinking about just changing the stock cassette HU for an MP3 HU. The MP3 HU says it puts out 22 RMS and 50 PEAK. Will the stock speakers handle these ok? Trying to do this on a budget for now with room for upgrades (amp and new speakers) later.
Old 10-23-2003, 08:49 PM

[quote author=njoverkill link=board=17;threadid=21230;start=0#msg200581 date=1066957121]
How much power can the stock speakers take? I was thinking about just changing the stock cassette HU for an MP3 HU. The MP3 HU says it puts out 22 RMS and 50 PEAK. Will the stock speakers handle these ok? Trying to do this on a budget for now with room for upgrades (amp and new speakers) later.
[/quote]

The stock speakers should be able to handle it, just be careful. This is how I started...I changed the HU first. I just got fed up with the quality of the stock speakers...they had hardly any treble and sounded really muddy.
Old 10-23-2003, 10:08 PM

[quote author=njoverkill link=board=17;threadid=21230;start=0#msg200581 date=1066957121]
[/quote]

Actually, you are much better off having too much power than not enough. What blows speakers apart is trying to run too much bass without enough power to drive the bass notes resulting in destortion. If the destortion is bad enough for a long enough period of time, kaboom...time for new speakers.

If you are going to use the stock HU, then you want replacement speakers that have a high efficiency rating. I would not go less that an efficiency rating of 90db. With todays technology, most good aftermarket speakers are 90+db.

The factory HU is pretty week at 18 watt/channel. I don't know if thats RMS or Peak. I like the factory look, and it's a pretty good unit, despite the lack of power. Rather than replace the head unit, I'm going to add a 4 channel amp (eventually) so I don't destroy my speakers when I crank it up...
Old 10-24-2003, 04:09 PM

I do like the factory look but on this ST im getting its got nothing more than a cassette deck and I would like some satellite radio and MP3 support so that's why I'm going in that direction.
Old 10-24-2003, 05:04 PM

Here's a picture of my JVC KD-SH99 installed in my rig. There's another pic in my gallery on page 48.
Old 10-24-2003, 05:32 PM

Cool I had the SH99 in my Jeep. I'm going to try out this cheapie Kenwood KDC-MP222. Comes with Sirius controller and antenna all for like $220 shipped.
Old 10-24-2003, 05:39 PM

[quote author=njoverkill link=board=17;threadid=21230;start=0#msg201053 date=1067034751]
Cool I had the SH99 in my Jeep. I'm going to try out this cheapie Kenwood KDC-MP222. Comes with Sirius controller and antenna all for like $220 shipped.
[/quote]

The KDC-MP222 is a nice unit. One of my buddies at work has one.
Old 10-28-2003, 12:16 PM

RamDan,
Did you have the Infinity speaker set up before replacing the front speakers ?
I have this option and have been a bit disappointed in the mid-high range sound quality at moderate volume levels. Getting used to it - Would have hoped to have had better quality when playing CD's.
thanks....

Quick Reply: Speakers