3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

speaker boxes

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2004, 01:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
speaker boxes

Has anybody bought a sub box for the back seat? If you have let me know where you got it.
Old 06-25-2004, 07:10 AM

I bought a JL Stealthbox. it only comes in 10" version for our trucks. But it sounds awesome!!! I have a JL 250 amp and never had any distortion with that pairing.
Old 06-25-2004, 07:43 AM

click on this link to my truck site and check out what i did, The two 8's are more than enough for me and the system rocks.....
http://dtw.truckmoxie.com/mygallery....46-album-13197
Old 06-25-2004, 08:45 AM

two 10's under the seat...from Moose Audio in Florida? Great box...I stuck (2) Infinity's in and some poly fill...perfect!
Old 06-25-2004, 10:32 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Since my truck was broken into I am taking this as an opportunity to get some better gear. I just picked up the JL 500/1 for the JL subs. Initially I am going to run one sub until the MTX box arrives that holds two 10's under the rear seat.
I have JL XR 5.25's in the rear doors and MB Quart 6.5's in the front right now powered by a JBL amp...but that is going to change to JL XR's in the front and a JL 300/4 to replace the JBL

I also picked up an Alpine CDA 9827. 3 pre outs

I am going to take out the 12 disk alpine changer and just burn MP3 data disks from my collection of CD's here.

Now I will have three 12 disk magazines and a changer sitting here. There was just not enough room for the changer.
Old 06-25-2004, 01:01 PM

Here is a link that will help and....

QUOTE]Originally posted by Scotty
Since my truck was broken into I am taking this as an opportunity to get some better gear. I just picked up the JL 500/1 for the JL subs. Initially I am going to run one sub until the MTX box arrives that holds two 10's under the rear seat.
I have JL XR 5.25's in the rear doors and MB Quart 6.5's in the front right now powered by a JBL amp...but that is going to change to JL XR's in the front and a JL 300/4 to replace the JBL

[/QUOTE] SUB BOX MFG

All that you did is similar to what I did...

JL XR653's in the front doors and kick panels (they are 3 way, so you have a 4 inch speaker to mount also)

JL XR 650's in the rear doors

JL 450-4 Amp powering the door speakers

JL 500 -1 amp powering the 10" W-3 Subs

Nice sound and very powerful!!!

I also installed a large capaciter so the amp would not be affected by the grid heater and the lights wouldnt dance with the subs.

James

Ps. JL w-7 subs in a 8" variety would seem pretty good too!!!!
Old 07-02-2004, 12:18 AM

sub box

i found a company called pro box rocks that makes a box for under the rear seat of the new rams. there web site is www.proboxrocks.com. slice is your box a sealed or ported enclosure?
d12
Old 07-02-2004, 12:19 AM

mb quarts

scotty if you want to get rid of those mb quarts give me a shout i would be intrested.
d12
Old 07-02-2004, 10:59 AM
Top's Younger Twin

For sure...once I decide to do the changes I will PM you.

Scotty
Old 07-02-2004, 12:40 PM

I'm either going with the probox or the mtx. The cheapest I've found the probox is $240 at Custom Sounds. The mtx sells for $260 or $270 on ebay with two 10's included, I already have subs and am trying to get a bot thats not already loaded. Amp kits are pretty cheap on ebay are cheap too. Anybody running a "knockdown"(I think thats what its called) with the factory deck. If so, is it an easy installation?
Old 07-02-2004, 01:18 PM

That MTX box with 2 10's is kind of weak. They use injection molded plastic instead of fiberglass, and you can tell when listening that the enclosure isn't rigid enough... at least on the 2G model, not sure if they changed the material for the 3G's. A hand laid fiberglass enclosure would sound a LOT better...
Old 07-02-2004, 02:34 PM

Try the moose audio box...I think it is $125?????
Old 07-02-2004, 05:25 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Originally posted by thejeepdude
That MTX box with 2 10's is kind of weak. They use injection molded plastic instead of fiberglass, and you can tell when listening that the enclosure isn't rigid enough... at least on the 2G model, not sure if they changed the material for the 3G's. A hand laid fiberglass enclosure would sound a LOT better...
Thanks for the tip on that. Resonatimg from the plastic will not be for me.
Are you laying the fiber glass over the carpet or pulling carpet and building it? Or have you tried on the 3rd gens?
I like the idea of a hand laid box in the third gen. Perhaps I can retain my fold flat floor that way.
Old 07-02-2004, 06:02 PM
Banned

Go big get 12"s it pounds!!!see my sig.....also build your own box its simple serch dtr for subwoofers to see my box, go pick out your speakers and get the exact sealed encloser volume including the speaker cones and build to your specks do a search on yahoo for speeker boxes and theyll tell you the equations and what materials you should use big tip :::::: go sealed !!! and use poly fill to stuff to your prefrence and last but not least rockford fosgate !!!! their rf tech will tell you every thing !! and answer any questions to great detail .tell him what your looking for in a set of subs and hell hook you up! just my .02 buy the way speakers are like truck up grades if you get 8s after a while youll wish you got 10s then 12s but stop thier because the freq. required to really catch 15s in their prime is seldom hit unless you listen to getto rap or something.... later
Old 07-03-2004, 01:48 AM

Originally posted by Scotty
Thanks for the tip on that. Resonatimg from the plastic will not be for me.
Are you laying the fiber glass over the carpet or pulling carpet and building it? Or have you tried on the 3rd gens?
I like the idea of a hand laid box in the third gen. Perhaps I can retain my fold flat floor that way.
Yeah a friend of mine has the MTX box for the 3G and it sounds great to her, but it's not for me. I had the JL Stealth box which is fiberglass in my 2G, but they don't make a dual 10" version for the 3G. The last reply mentioned "get 12's it pounds", but you sound more to me like the kind that wants great sound QUALITY not quantity. Granted, 12's can sound great, but where are you going to put them? One of the reasons I like the 3G is the fold flat floor will give me a place to put my removable speakerbox. In my '99 it just sat in the back seat (the 2 10's under the seat sounded good, but 2x10 and 2x12 was more fun ), but there was only room for 1 person with it in there. I thought about going with hand laid fiberglass under the seat, but I like the storage space too much. And since the seat is 60/40 split in the 3G, I can build a box that will hold a 12 or 15 and 2 10's and still have enough room for 2 passengers if I need to, and easily take the box out if I need more room for some reason. If you don't care about the storage under the rear seat, I'd probably go with building a box(es) under there with 2 10's, and and keep it stealth. Could even add the JL Stealth box that replaces the center cushion up front too... 3 10's should "pound" enough, just make sure not to skimp on the amp.

Quick Reply: speaker boxes