3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Spare tire for 285/75R17

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 10:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spare tire for 285/75R17

What is everyone doing for a spare tire when you put the Toyo LT285/75R17 on the truck. I'd rather not have to buy 5 of these but I think there is a problem running different sizes incase of a flat. I could justify a 5 tire rotation but I'd have to get a new wheel first. The current spare dosent have the chrome cover.

Thanks
Old 06-14-2008, 03:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Can't you just keep your current spare, but mount it to the front temporarily until you can get the flat fixed? I have a 285 BFG for a spare currently, while running 35's. I was told it won't hurt to run a different size for a short time on the front only. Can anybody answer that question with certainty?

Old 06-14-2008, 05:25 AM

I spent the extra $$$ on a 5th tire because I would not want to run a different size tire if I had a blowout while towing or hauling anything. Running around empty I wouldn't be worried about different size tires but you just never know when it's gonna happen.
Old 06-14-2008, 07:09 AM

How well does the 285 spare tire fit in the standard location.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:27 AM

285 will fit no problem. Had a buddy an we squeezed the 315 down there. However, he had the stock exhaust, if you get the aftermarket exhausts, especially the duals, then all bets are off on what you can get to fit down there.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:54 AM

Correct. I had a 315 under my 03 and it fit with no problem while the stock tailpipe was there. If you run a larger diameter aftermarket exhaust then you might have issues with a 315 but I would bet you would still be fine with a 285/70-17 tire under there...
Old 06-14-2008, 12:53 PM

I hjad a flat on my last trip, front right corner. I run 285's and my spare was a 265 and I didn't notice much of a difference. I had to buy another 265 as a spare for the trip home cuz they told me the cords got wrecked driving too long with low pressure but I pulled over as soon as I felty it and it was already down on the rim, no air at all.
When I got home I bought 2 new 285's and used my most worn 285 as a spare, now I'm stuck trying to sell 2 - 265 "long trail TA's.

I don't think you'd wanna run 2 different sizes on the rear though with ltd slip do you?

When I get my H2's with 315's I'm going to look for a set of 5, not sure about putting a chrome wheel up where the spare goes though, anyone doing this?

If I can't find a set of 5 I'll look for a used 315 and put it on the spare steel wheel, doesn't ake sense to have a brand new tire sitting up there.
Old 06-15-2008, 10:18 AM

What is the process for a 5 tire rotation. If I go with the 285 spare I might as well get some use out of it.
Old 06-15-2008, 10:09 PM

i wouldn't drive with a different size tire, or a too much of a difference between the 2, from a 265 to a 285 i would, but not much more, and not for too long either, the reason i believe not 100% sure, is because the rotation, when your wheels turn if they are different one would spin faster than the other one and you would mess up your diff gears and/or axle shafts, this is only on solid axle trucks like ours, on IFS it doesn't matter.
don't know if this is the right way to explain this but you get the idea, maybe somebody else can explain better.
Old 06-15-2008, 10:24 PM

I decided to go ahead and buy 5. I don't plan on doing a 5 tire rotation though. Just plan on sticking with these tires.
Old 06-15-2008, 10:34 PM

Just find a used 285/75 for the spare. Make friends with your local tire shop and one will turn up.

I wouldn't run a smaller spare up front on a 4x4 without a locking hub kit.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by JohnnyH
What is the process for a 5 tire rotation. If I go with the 285 spare I might as well get some use out of it.
I found a matching spare wheel on ebay right after I boght my '04 new. Actually I found a pair within pick up distance. Sold the extra for near what I paid for the pair. Stock wheels are pretty easy to find. I had my new spare OEM Michelin put on the chrome spare.

As far as the process. I just do an "around the clock" rotation. First, I drop the spare, put that on the LR, LR to LF, LF to RF, RF to RR, RR to spare. It's actually easier to do a five tire than a four as you only need to jack up one wheel at a time. I don't think the actual process is really important as long as you rotate at the same mileage each time to equalize wear across all five. I rotate every time I do an oil change.

With a five tire rotation, you increase your tire mileage out of a set by about 25%. I've got 80,000 on my OEM Michelins and still have LOTS of tread left. When I do get around to replacing the tires, I'll only buy four and keep the best of the five for the spare. I'm not planning on changing size so not an issue for me. That may be a long time for me. With diesel prices what they are, I've started using the hot rod Mustang for a daily driver. The Ram is only used for hauling or towing my bike trailer now.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:39 AM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Johnny,

I have five on mine too, but I decided not to bother with the 5 tire rotation because it's so much harder. As long as you stay with this size it won't hurt to have the fifth one just riding along. If you get your tires from Les Schwab they will lifetime rotate them including the spare.

My spare fits with an MBRP 4" exhaust but now I've changed the pipe to run out the side for other reasons and made even more room.

Previously I had 285/70s and when I switched to 285/75s I ended up with a brand new 70 and nothing to do with it.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by moterhead
With a five tire rotation, you increase your tire mileage out of a set by about 25%. I've got 80,000 on my OEM Michelins and still have LOTS of tread left.
I used to use the Michelins too, but it seemed they would sqirm a bit in the rain after 30k miles were on them. I took them to 80k miles but white-knuckled it if I had to drive empty in the rain.
Dually came with General's, which I have never been a fan of from previous 18 wheeler days, but they have been the best wearing tires of 4 different brands that I have tried for over 450k miles on two duallies.
Old 06-16-2008, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by ozpall
i wouldn't drive with a different size tire, or a too much of a difference between the 2, from a 265 to a 285 i would, but not much more, and not for too long either, the reason i believe not 100% sure, is because the rotation, when your wheels turn if they are different one would spin faster than the other one and you would mess up your diff gears and/or axle shafts, this is only on solid axle trucks like ours, on IFS it doesn't matter.
don't know if this is the right way to explain this but you get the idea, maybe somebody else can explain better.
The front diff is open. You're fine with a different sized tire up there as far as the differential goes.

Don't know how it would handle.

I have a Putnam XDR hitch and can't fit a 315 spare up there... Tried it and it didn't work.

I'm not worried about my 265 spare, I'll save my money and time.

Quick Reply: Spare tire for 285/75R17