3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Someone stole my truck today

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2005, 08:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Thanks for the heads-up on the local dealers. I'll definetly check them out.
Old 03-26-2005, 05:24 AM

i can't say for sure that your ins, is the same as mine here in Canada, but when my 2 trucks were stolen, i had to wait 31 days before they would do anything. after that, if they didn't find the truck, they went to the drawing board and started to make offers. the offers were way low, and i had myn trucks appraised for just under the amount that i had spent on them.
first truck, no appraisal, just reciepts, this is no good, mad me cry to hear the offers on the table. never take the first offer, they will always go higher.
second truck, over $70,000.00 into it, apprasied at $50,000.00, made first offer of $28,000.00.
told them they were on crack, came back with $29,000.00, hung up the phone.
they called me back a couple hours later, and told me that it would take a couple of weeks to work things out.i told them i would be talking to somebody at the ins bureau, and the call me back 1 hour later with $41,000.00 plus taxes, due to the facxt that my appraisal was just over 2 years old. i took that one. pays to have it appraised every year as they will still take moneys off each year it gets older and more mileage.
on a side note, i was told after the fact that if you have loss of use, damaged, fire , stolen, etc, that when you get a rental , and the term goes longer then the rental is covered for, they are responsable for the rental, and have to cover it for the duration of your time period with them making their decision with you, settlement , etc.
don't quote me on that one, because it was too late for me at that point, handed the rental back before i had to start paying and bought a beater until they settled with me. wish i would have known that sooner , because i would have made them pay until they settled up with me.
anyway, just a bit of info on how it all worked out for me.
again, contents of the truck is covered by the home ins, and they cancelled me after making a claim.i try not to make a claim now, due to the fact that when they cancel you, it is real hard to get ins again with that on your record.
Old 03-26-2005, 06:26 AM
Banned

my advice would be go drive around for a few hours hitting the areas close to where you had it stolen, a lot of times them theiven bastards will grab it and move it a short way then ditch till the smoke clears and to see if the po po come by via lo-jac. if it sits for a day they will come back at night and it will be gone for good. if there are a lot of similar looking trux as yours drive by with your remote and just keep hitting the panic button, hundred feet away that thing will start honkin.
Old 03-26-2005, 01:57 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I was walking up to my truck one day and heres this guy trying to break in on the passenger side. So I asked him if he locked his keys inside and he said yes. I said here...let me help...I proceeded to [censored] and [censored] his head and then [censored] til he hit the pavement.
Then I called the police and told them I found this guy beside my truck with a jimmy for breaking into vehicles.
I waited around for the cops, they 'knew' what happened and then said; Looks like he fell.
Old 03-26-2005, 02:11 PM

Originally posted by Scotty
I was walking up to my truck one day and heres this guy trying to break in on the passenger side. So I asked himif he locked his keys inside and he said yes. I said here...let me help...I proceeded to [censored] and [censored] his head and then [censored] til he hit the pavement.
Then I called the police and told them I found this guy beside my truck with a jimmy fro braking into vehicles.
I waited around for the cops, they 'knew' what happened and then said; Looks like he fell.
Now that's a funny story. I wish I had that opportunity.
Old 03-26-2005, 05:15 PM

DanRam, I paid 360 installed at the dealership. That included the installation of a shock sensor that will detect a window break. The system uses the stock horn as an alarm. I suppose the thief could pop the hood and cut the wires to the horn, but according to the dealer, the only way they could start the truck is to replace the computer.

Of course, as bad as car theft is here in Phoenix (1 in 20 vehicles stolen every year, I have had 2 stolen in 2 years) I wouldn't put it past someone rolling up a tow truck and taking it that way. It's so bad, I went out and bought 30 feet of 1 inch cable and I literally will chain the truck to a light pole if I have to leave it somewhere for more than an hour or two.
Old 03-28-2005, 06:04 AM

Originally posted by CaughtinmyGrill
DanRam, I paid 360 installed at the dealership. That included the installation of a shock sensor that will detect a window break. The system uses the stock horn as an alarm. I suppose the thief could pop the hood and cut the wires to the horn, but according to the dealer, the only way they could start the truck is to replace the computer.

Of course, as bad as car theft is here in Phoenix (1 in 20 vehicles stolen every year, I have had 2 stolen in 2 years) I wouldn't put it past someone rolling up a tow truck and taking it that way. It's so bad, I went out and bought 30 feet of 1 inch cable and I literally will chain the truck to a light pole if I have to leave it somewhere for more than an hour or two.
That might work for an ordinary vehicle, but the Cummins might just take the pole with it.
Old 03-28-2005, 03:13 PM

Originally posted by danram11
Now that's a funny story. I wish I had that opportunity.
yep, only bad though though, my thumpin stick is inside in the drivers side door pocket [4D maglight].. i may need to mount a few 24" long 3/4" rebar pieces in a few locations on the truck so i can quickly grab a re-educational tool to teach the crook
Old 03-28-2005, 05:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It's so bad, I went out and bought 30 feet of 1 inch cable and I literally will chain the truck to a light pole if I have to leave it somewhere for more than an hour or two.
I'd imagine that if they have a towtruck, they can probably manage a bolt cutter to handle the cable. I suppose that might be enough extra to make them move on to the next truck instead though.
Old 03-28-2005, 06:50 PM

The thief would have to have one heck of a bolt cutter to get through this cable. That thing would need to have 6 foot handles on it to get the leverage for one man to be able to cut it. But it's main purpose is just to stop the "lift and go" thief who has access to a tow truck. It's probably overkill but at least I know that they will bypass my truck for some easier mark.

It seems like once a week, someone I know or a friend of a friend has their car stolen here. Most alarms are pretty worthless as they know how to bypass whatever killswitch may be installed. It's no wonder that we are paying $1000 or more a year in car insurance.
Old 03-31-2005, 06:52 AM

Just noticed where you are posting from. I'm guessing that was the Lowes in either Clinton or Bowie then?

Stinks either way, I park at both frequently.

fwiw - I ordered my truck w/o the special key setup due to concerns about getting extra keys made. Everyone suggested I lojack the truck - but honestly if it gets stolen I don't even want it back, I'd rather just take the ins. money and buy another one.

As a heads up - Upper Marlboro is now the worst area of PG county in terms of vehicle theft.
Old 03-31-2005, 06:43 PM

Originally posted by LJRoy
Just noticed where you are posting from. I'm guessing that was the Lowes in either Clinton or Bowie then?

Stinks either way, I park at both frequently.

fwiw - I ordered my truck w/o the special key setup due to concerns about getting extra keys made. Everyone suggested I lojack the truck - but honestly if it gets stolen I don't even want it back, I'd rather just take the ins. money and buy another one.

As a heads up - Upper Marlboro is now the worst area of PG county in terms of vehicle theft.
It was the Lowe's in Clinton.
At least when it's at home its locked in the garage.
Where you from anyway?