3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Some strange things with my new truck

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 09:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some strange things with my new truck

Well I've had my new 06 for 2 weeks and have had some strange things happen. Anyone else have this happen?
First thing, the other day it was 18* outside and my temp gauge on the overhead read -46*F. I stopped for fuel and restarted the truck and it showed -27*F. The next day it worked fine. This was the only time is has went crazy.
Second thing, today I was cruising about 70mph, it was somewhat windy outside (15mph winds) and there was a vibration in the whole truck, even the steering wheel. It almost felt like I was driving over those painted rumble strips they put on the roads before stop lights. It would come and go and when I did feel it I also noticed an increase in wind noise. I slowed down to about 60 mph and I didn't feel it any more.
Old 12-09-2006, 09:59 PM

Yes I have also had those two exact problems with my truck.

My thermometer has only went crazy once. And I am thinking the vibration is due to my Mopar winter front, since air going thru the grille gets trapped. But I need to experiment with this. I have felt the vibration on the last two trips out of town when it has been windy, especially when it gusts. I will try taking it off and see what happens on the next trip.

Are you using a winter front behind the grille?
Old 12-09-2006, 10:44 PM

Wow! I am using a Mopar winter cover! Very nice piece by the way. I have the 2 side flaps open and top & bottom flaps closed. I also just added Mopar mud flaps yesterday and was wondering if they were creating some sort of drag. You may be on to somthing with the front cover. Please let me know if removing yours helps. Although I will leave it on because the temp gauge finally makes it up to 190-200 on my short trips.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can't help you with the vibration, but regarding the overhead temperature reading of -40 when it's obviously not, there is a TSB out for this. Just tell your dealer and they will reflash to computer to fix it. That's what I did. The flash must have also reprogrammed the overhead fuel mileage calculations, because now it's it usually within 0.2 MPG of my hand calculated MPG.

Good luck
Old 12-11-2006, 05:52 PM

I can't imagine the winter cover is causing that bad a vibration on a heavy duty truck. I have had that cover on the last two winters with no issues at all.

If the vibration is in the steering wheel, you need to take it back to the dealer and make sure everything is aligned properly, tires are balanced etc. I get a slight vibration at 70-72mph. It ended being a bad sway bar end link. I replaced it and it is gone.

Also, if you do a search, there are tons of threads on driveline vibration with the 3rd gens.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:41 PM

Well so far I have made two trips out of town without the winter front, and no vibration so far.

djbikeman, it is definately wind related on my truck. Every time the wind gusts, the vibration suddenly appears or gets worse.