3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Some dealers just crack me up

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have only met one service writer that was qualified to do his job. he quit cool guy though, got me a new filler neck out of warranty, always made good on the stuff his mechanics would mess up.

I would really like to see the ad they put out to attract service writers, I think the new hire screening involes being able to fill out a coloring book.
Old 02-16-2008, 01:40 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by J BODY
...and I was simply stating that there is no written procedure for changing this data and it's not something that everyone knows unless they have done some web reading, heard from a friend, or played with the data. As usual I'm sorry I brought it up.
As a former Dodge tech, I'm with J Body on this. Some years ago, I spoke with Dodge engineering on this (speedo calibration for larger tires) and was told: "Dodge does not recommend or endorse any modifications that Dodge doesn't build or engineer, and as such, won't support their use." It makes perfect sense to me, and I don't blame them. I found the alterations because I knew the ins and outs of the electronics, but it wasn't taught by Dodge.
Old 02-16-2008, 01:43 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Raspy
I could not believe the incompetency of the service manager. He knew far less about engines or vehicles in general than any of the mechanics. People paid big bucks for busy work tracking down simple problems because of the wild goose chases he sent us on at customer expense. That dealership was seriously struggling in an environment where they could have been wildly successful. The service writer can build the business or destroy it

I don't want to bad mouth all dealerships. But, in many cases there is a lot of room for improvement. Just read other comments on this site.

John
Wow, I can sure identify with that. I got a chill when I read it.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:14 AM

Here's a good one. A few years ago I bought a Ram 1500 from my local dealer. I won't name them, but they have many stores throughout the western states and their corporate HQ is in Medford, OR. Anyway, the e-brake light would remain on after I released it. Thinking it was an ABS problem, I took it in. They said the e-brake needed adjustment. They adjusted it, supposedly, but when I got home there was smoke coming from the rear brake drums, so I took it back, they "adjusted" it again. This time I drove it around the block...more smoking drums and the light is back on. I take it back in; now the service writer tries to blame the problem on me, saying the problem is caused by my depressing the e-brake pedal too far; that I only need to push it about half-way. I get out the owners manual and show him where it says to depress the pedal to the floor. He comes back with something like "I used to turn wrenches so I know better blah blah blah. So I tell him he should teach his techs how to adjust an e-brake. Finally I have enough and tell him to just adjust it back out so it isn't dragging and I'll leave him alone. Anyway I take it to different dealer in Bend, OR, where they install new pads and drums adjusted correctly, no problems. They also gave me a complaint form to send to DC. I filled it out in detail and sent it off. Not long after that the local dealer cleaned out their service dept. including my favorite service writer and e-brake tech. They've been much better since.
Nick
Old 02-21-2008, 07:55 PM

add Admin removed name of Houston to the list of edits dealers. Edit i'll drive elsewhere after my experience with them.

Last edited by madhat; 02-22-2008 at 12:22 AM. Reason: bashing
Old 02-21-2008, 09:41 PM
Banned

Come on T-Rad you have another one to edit! Why edit out the bad dealers. It may save a potential good customer from going with an inferior truck.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:24 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Nah, T-rad went to bed already...

Gents, I can understand the frustration that we have with dealers. Please express your displeasure without naming them or bashing them too hard.
Thanks!

mad
Old 02-22-2008, 07:32 AM
Administrator

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
Originally Posted by hovisimo
I would really like to see the ad they put out to attract service writers, I think the new hire screening involes being able to fill out a coloring book.
It is not only those jobs....... You should see some of the "applicants" we get when we advertise for Maintenance Mechanics............

Forget College, this country needs 50,000 new Vo-Tech centers!

They wonder why Manufacturing is leaving America.......
Old 02-22-2008, 09:35 AM

tell ya what

i worked at a dodge and jeep dealer as a service writer. im in a small town in idaho so we take care of our customers. we would have jeep people from 80 miles away come to us because we rocked. i can tell ya this........ the dealer has to PROVE that the aftermarket part caused the problem. its in the owners manual. and last time i checked they dont have labs to do that and money to pay for it. i tell people , when it starts to get nasty, ask for the chrysler reps phone number and name............. THAT WORKS! shows you are ready to do battle. and if it s 5 star dealer, they will cave. they can have there 5 star rateing pulled. i was at a dodge dealer that did. turns out the owner had a PT crusier with none factory posi. and a customer did............ he had the tech swap rear ends............ i guess he thought the old chick would not notice........... wrong was he! that was funny ****!
Old 02-22-2008, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Ducman82
i worked at a dodge and jeep dealer as a service writer. im in a small town in idaho so we take care of our customers. we would have jeep people from 80 miles away come to us because we rocked. i can tell ya this........ the dealer has to PROVE that the aftermarket part caused the problem. its in the owners manual. and last time i checked they dont have labs to do that and money to pay for it. i tell people , when it starts to get nasty, ask for the chrysler reps phone number and name............. THAT WORKS! shows you are ready to do battle. and if it s 5 star dealer, they will cave. they can have there 5 star rateing pulled. i was at a dodge dealer that did. turns out the owner had a PT crusier with none factory posi. and a customer did............ he had the tech swap rear ends............ i guess he thought the old chick would not notice........... wrong was he! that was funny ****!
I thought PT Cruisers were front wheel drive.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:54 PM

nope, rear
Old 02-22-2008, 01:51 PM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
"6 sets of tires in 100,000 miles"

Are you sure? That's a set every 16,666.66 miles. I can't imagine anyone doing that. I'm right at 81,000 on the tires I've got now and I'm expecting them to pass inspection in about another wee. They still have plenty of meat left.
Old 02-22-2008, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Ducman82
nope, rear
I am not from missourri but you are going to have to show me a rear wheel drive PT Cruiser I think you may have inadvertantly proven something about service writers

Bob
Old 02-22-2008, 03:02 PM

Umm, no rear wheel drive PT Cruisers. The closest thing I'm aware of was an all wheel drive "concept".

Bryan
Old 02-22-2008, 03:02 PM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bob4x4
I am not from missourri but you are going to have to show me a rear wheel drive PT Cruiser I think you may have inadvertantly proven something about service writers

Bob
Yeah, I was trying to think of a polite way say the same thing that you so eloquently stated.

Pictures and documentation would be great to see in support of this RWD PT cruiser.

Quick Reply: Some dealers just crack me up