3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Soft tonneau cover on short bed?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 10:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Soft tonneau cover on short bed?

I've decided against having a tool box in my new truck. It's a 2004, quad cab, short bed, 2500. I thought I could do it with my gooseneck hitch in there...which I probably can, but I'll have to be careful not get it into my toolbox. So, now I have a nice tool box that I'm not going to use.

So, I'm thinking about getting a soft roll up cover instead. This truck is going to be used for travel more than anything. Would be nice to keep luggage "kind of dry" in the bed. I've decided against the Access covers that work with the tool box. Just not enough room.

What's the least expensive ones out there? The truck has diamond plate covers on the bed rails. I like the access ones and have seen a truxedo. It might be nice to cover those up a little since there are holes in them from the previous toolbox, but it might be nice to have it inside the rails too. Heck I don't know. I usually order from 4 wheelparts.

thanks,
dave
Old 06-16-2014, 07:59 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I have the EZ Roll from here
http://www.freedomtruckproducts.com/products.html

Several years of use and in the hot desert summer heat and it's still in great shape!

EDIT: Looks like they changed the design a little. My support bows are separate and this states they roll up with the cover. I would prefer that!
Old 06-16-2014, 11:04 PM

I've had an access roll up cover on mine since 2006, absolutely love it.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a fold up trifecta, works great, can use it when Im towing my 5th wheel, and takes under a minute to fold out when I unhook, cheers.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:27 AM

thanks for the replys.

Is that the Best top EZ cover?

Was the Access a low profile one?

I wonder if they make one that you could take out easily if you wanted to use a tool box?

thanks,
Dave
Old 06-17-2014, 10:23 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I have the tonneau pro roll up on my 2005 and it works great. In very very heavy rains or high winds there may be a tad bit of water at the tailgate thru the sides as there is a slight bit of daylight but its not bad and have used it a lot traveling. Its dry under normal rain conditions.

My only complaint is the cover picks up dust very bad and seems hard to wash. Unless you use the foaming brush at the car wash on it you cannot seem to get it clean.

Old 06-18-2014, 03:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Fiftygrit
I have a fold up trifecta, works great, can use it when Im towing my 5th wheel, and takes under a minute to fold out when I unhook, cheers.
Same here. Been on the truck for almost 5 years now. It is holding up great. Keeps the bed totally dry, on or off with it in one min, or can fold it up and snap it down for the unexpected loads when you cant remove it at home first.

It will hold at least 3' of snow on it without collapsing or damage.
Best "cheap" bed cover I've had.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I put one of these on a month ago, love it

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271143654219...84.m1439.l2649
Old 07-11-2014, 10:13 AM

I have a roll up with the Velcro down the side to hold it down. Been on about 5yrs now and the Velcro is wearing out. Had another one on a different truck it had like a zip-lock down the sides it worked great also. They both worked great in the cold. The Velcro one was a low pro it was level across with my bed I like this look more. The Velcro one was mounted on top of bed rails and the rails were curved so it was above the bed. The Velcro one has bars that are built in and roll up in cover. The zip lock one had bars that had to be taken out and stored when rolledup also you have to get in bed to unroll and install the bars. Neither of them leak and both work great hot or cold. I would stay away from the type that snap down.
Old 07-12-2014, 06:42 PM

I have an Access cover also and love it.Super easy to open and close and to keep adjusted if necessary.