3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

snow tires and rims

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 11:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
snow tires and rims

A couple of months ago I got my first cummins (4x2). I have since discovered that the stock tires stink in snow(I live near Green Bay, Wisconsin). I'm looking for advice on what kind of snow tires I should get for the winter. Also does anyone know of a good site to order some rims. I'm only planning on using these 4 months each year so they don't have to be pretty just cheap and functional.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:28 AM

http://www.tirerack.com/index.jsp
Old 12-02-2005, 12:55 PM

Only problem I know of is that at this point there don't seem to be any snow tires available for our trucks in 17". I have called tirerack about this and they said there are no solutions available at this point. My favorite are blizzak 965's on my '02 Ram. Great on both snow and ice.
Mishkaya
Old 12-02-2005, 01:04 PM

It seems there is now a snow tire available in load E for our trucks:
Toyo Observe GO-2 plus Tires

found at:
http://www.1010tires.com/tire.asp?ti...ve+GO%2D2+plus
I don't know anything about them at this point though, and they seem very expensive.
Mishkaya
Old 12-02-2005, 01:27 PM

Your best bet is to look for tires that have the 'snowflake in the mountain' symbol on them. These will be severe snow rated. I think BFG AT are rated that way. Otherwise, a 2wd cummins needs some weight over the rear tires.
Old 12-02-2005, 02:07 PM

Get 4 rims off ebay or such. Mount BFG AT 285's (only size available) . Put 600 or 800 lbs in the bed and it will go almost anywhere a 4wd will. I paid 800 for 4 tires and 100 bucks for 4 takeoff rims (steel). The michelin tires are fine for summer but useless in winter.
I have always found local shops give better prices than tirerack etc. Or very very close. The BFG AT do have the snowflake signal. They are load range D.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:50 PM

Get yourself a set of Cooper Discoverer M&S winter tires, and stud them. http://www.coopertires.com/us/en/Pro...ht+Truck+Tires

I have used these tires before and they are an excellent snow tire.

Carl
Old 12-03-2005, 11:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The advantage to a severe snow rated tire is that it meets one of the criteria when they start requiring traction devices, although in worst case conditions they can still require chains. The BFG ATs are popular are have a severe snow rating, they seem to do fine in snow and on 'hard ice', but on 'soft ice' I've seen 4wd Jeeps with BFG ATs stall on the steep street in front of our house and start sliding backwards. Coworkers with siped BFG ATs commented that they also had problems on ice.

Nokian has a 17in load range E, the Hakka LT, which is studdable, probably the best winter tire available for our trucks, but also hard to find.

I couldn't find any last year so I bought a set of Cooper Discoverer M&S, had them studded, and so far they've worked ok in all conditions, even on soft ice on the highway where cars were in the ditches, doing 360s in front of us and such, but on some 'virgin soft ice' on back roads I still needed to chain up. It was the worst conditions that I've been in, as I was waiting for a truck to try to pull a car out of a ditch, and sitting there with the studded tires, and the truck started sliding towards the edge of the road. The ice was too soft for the studs to work, as rain was falling and then freezing. After chaining up and heading home the only vehicles that I saw were larger 4wd with chains. At work the next Monday I overheard some coworkers saying that even with chains their cars were sliding, which I assume was due to using cable chains on lighter vehicles.

During that storm I85 was shut down, and when opened was chains only as was I90. I'm still looking at the Hakka LTs, but I'll always carry chains.
Old 12-04-2005, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by 1sttruck
The advantage to a severe snow rated tire is that it meets one of the criteria when they start requiring traction devices, although in worst case conditions they can still require chains. The BFG ATs are popular are have a severe snow rating, they seem to do fine in snow and on 'hard ice', but on 'soft ice' I've seen 4wd Jeeps with BFG ATs stall on the steep street in front of our house and start sliding backwards. Coworkers with siped BFG ATs commented that they also had problems on ice.

Nokian has a 17in load range E, the Hakka LT, which is studdable, probably the best winter tire available for our trucks, but also hard to find.

I couldn't find any last year so I bought a set of Cooper Discoverer M&S, had them studded, and so far they've worked ok in all conditions, even on soft ice on the highway where cars were in the ditches, doing 360s in front of us and such, but on some 'virgin soft ice' on back roads I still needed to chain up. It was the worst conditions that I've been in, as I was waiting for a truck to try to pull a car out of a ditch, and sitting there with the studded tires, and the truck started sliding towards the edge of the road. The ice was too soft for the studs to work, as rain was falling and then freezing. After chaining up and heading home the only vehicles that I saw were larger 4wd with chains. At work the next Monday I overheard some coworkers saying that even with chains their cars were sliding, which I assume was due to using cable chains on lighter vehicles.

During that storm I85 was shut down, and when opened was chains only as was I90. I'm still looking at the Hakka LTs, but I'll always carry chains.

I think I will stay home if it gets that bad.

Remember studs are not legal in some places.
Old 12-04-2005, 04:01 PM

I've used BFG AT's in the past and was VERY unimpressed with them! I use 235-80-17 Cooper Discoverer M&S's studded on my 05 and the things are by far the best snow and ice tire that I have ever used and at 21 4x4's I have used a bunch. I will be putting the 235-85-16's on the 98 tomorrow. I really like the tall skinny tires for the winter. The tires really bite in (Lots of psi) and you don't get pulled into the ditch when ya hit a pile of slush left by the plow.
Topper
Old 12-04-2005, 04:08 PM

If ya want to see some cool looking tires check out GREEN DIAMOND tires. (They have them in our sizes's) They have little pieces of carbide formed into the tred of the tires. So lots of grip on ice.(frection) There's been alot of test and they seem to hold up well against other snow tires.
Maybe the way of things to come.
Topper
Old 12-05-2005, 06:57 AM

I have the Toyo GO2 plus 265 17 E rated snows on my 2004 2wd long box.
They make a huge differance....plus a bunch of weight in the back.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:44 AM

"I think I will stay home if it gets that bad."

Around here that means staying home if gets below freezing, as an ice storm can blow up at anytime, or water can be flowing across the road and create large slick spots. We were in northern Washington when the storm hit, and had to drive to southern Washington.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by 1sttruck
"I think I will stay home if it gets that bad."

Around here that means staying home if gets below freezing, as an ice storm can blow up at anytime, or water can be flowing across the road and create large slick spots. We were in northern Washington when the storm hit, and had to drive to southern Washington.

Man that sucks.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:59 PM

Well guys I put on my snow tires on the 98 today. I put on the 235-85-16 Cooper Discoverer M$S's. Man these thing bite in and get traction. Starting and stoping in snow or on ice is no trouble. The only thing I don't like is the way they look. They look like old army trucks with these tall and skinny tires on them. I'll get some pics up soon.
Topper

Quick Reply: snow tires and rims