3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

small problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2004, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question small problem

Just wondering if anyone out there has this same problem.

It is really wierd. I cant explain it. Here goes... Some times, and I never know when it will happen, my "door ajar" light and door locks automatically lock continuously over and over.(when I go 15mph and over) The only way I can stop it is by pushing the master Unlock button while driving and it finally locks everything one more time and then thats it.

It isnt a real big deal but I cant figure it out and it never is happening when I take it to the dealer. It happens mostly when it is warm out and in the afternoon. Anyone else who drives it pulls over and calls me thinking there is a door ajar and they cant figure it out. I have to tell them to do the master unlock thing and that I dont know why it does that. I already disabled the autolock feature but it still locks after I go 15mph or greater.

Anyway, sorry for boring you but if anyone has a fix, let me know. I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

PS- Cant say enough great things about the rest of the truck. The mileage is getting better and I only have 4800 miles. I took it moderately off-roading with my buddies Hemi "off-road" 1500 and he bottomed out behind me on the same trail/mound that I just climbed. He had bought it 2 days prior and was pd-off. I had to pull him off the hill.
Old 12-04-2004, 10:29 AM

if it is still happening after 15mph, are you SURE you disabled it?
Old 12-04-2004, 11:49 AM

kinda sounds like a wiring problem to me. Might be a bad ground or bad connection with the logic module which controls the auto lock feature.

Sounds like it's gonna be tough to figure out.

Good luck
Old 12-29-2004, 11:20 AM

This has happened to me as well. Just started. Cold out though. Doors will sometimes lock when not moving too.
Old 12-30-2004, 08:08 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The next time it happens try giving a good pull inward on each door and see if that will stop the cycling. You'll need a helper since it only happens while moving. I'm wondering if there is a faulty Door Ajar Switch. The Door Ajar Switches are part of the latch mechanism and are not servicable but pulling inward on the doors might narrow down your problem.

Try changing your autolock feature back on to see if that changes anything.
Old 12-30-2004, 08:55 AM

Reading over on the tdr site i see quite a few problems with the drivers door locking by itselves in some cases locking the driver out while the truck is running , can't even unlock it with the key. the problem seems to be with the mechanism in the drivers door.

rob
Old 12-30-2004, 11:02 AM

What is the TDR site?
Yes I was locked out a couple of times now . At least it was not running. It can lock at any time, sometimes right after you open it. Seems like it has a mind of it's own. Wish I knew what this was, I am worried that the dealer will not be able to find it because it is very intermittant. will sometimes go a couple of days with no problems, but is definetly getting worse.
Old 12-31-2004, 08:58 AM

Unhappy

Same thing has happened to me. So infrequent though that I thought maybe I was hitting the lock button jumping out. Luckely one of the other doors has always stayed unlocked so it sure looks like a driver door thing. It even happened once after I got out at the dealer. He gave me a "what are you stupid look" and just opened one of the other doors. Paranoia is now setting in so where is a good place for a hide a key?
Old 12-31-2004, 09:15 AM

t.d.r.-----www.turbodieselregister.com, is a dodge cummins site same as this one.You can brouse their forums but you can not participate in anything unless you are a member, they charge an annual fee to become a member.

rob
Old 12-31-2004, 09:42 AM

E Janssen---When the door locks by itself even the key will not unlock it according to what i have read and the passenger side door has no key hole, the door will open from the inside with the door handle but continue to lock itself once shut. Only the drivers door is doing this and as i am in and out of my truck quite often with it running i unlock the doors with the auto door lock button after it has done its auto lock thing at 15mph, as long as the truck is not shut off it will not auto lock any more leaving all the other doors open for entry should the drivers door start locking by itself.
You can read more about it on the tdr site in the 3rd gen forum no engine drivetrain section page 4 " drivers door wouldn't open"

rob
Old 01-12-2005, 11:23 AM

Actually this is turning from a small to a large problem. I took the vehicle to the dealer and they said itb was related to the driver door lock mechanism sticking. So they lubed everything and driving home it worked fine. Later that evening I could hear the locks triggering about 10 times per minute and this would go on intermittantly. This morning left vehicle in driveway and was walking away and could hear the doors locking again on their own.
Any advice appreciated. This is really annoyoing!
Old 01-12-2005, 11:02 PM

This is my first vehicle w/ power anything. After I saw the auto-lock happen obout 15mph. I disabled auto-locking per the manual. Something is still going on though. I walked out to the garage this morning and heard a chirp from my truck. The doors were locked w/ the driver window down. I left the window down but not the doors locked. I'll drive it tomorrow for the first time in 3 days. I'll look for more clues. Hope something isn't draining the battery.
Old 01-13-2005, 06:31 AM

Originally posted by mestdagh
This is my first vehicle w/ power anything. After I saw the auto-lock happen obout 15mph. I disabled auto-locking per the manual. Something is still going on though. I walked out to the garage this morning and heard a chirp from my truck. The doors were locked w/ the driver window down. I left the window down but not the doors locked. I'll drive it tomorrow for the first time in 3 days. I'll look for more clues. Hope something isn't draining the battery.
Any chance someone in the house had their hands on the remote? If the remote was in your pocket, it is possible another source of RF was causing the doors to lock/unlock. If it continues try parking the truck outside the garage. And if it continues outside the garage and you live in a neighborhood where other houses are closeby, watch for a neighbor's garagedoor moving or someone unlocking/locking their car, perhaps their freq is close enough to disturb your truck.
Nat
Old 01-13-2005, 07:21 AM

natstayl, good point. maybe it's my own garage door opener ....