3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Sirius Satellite Radio installed...

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2004, 10:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sirius Satellite Radio installed...

This isn't your typical sirius install... I bought the unit that can be plugged into a boombox, specifically for work. Being a fed ex driver, and not having a radio in my truck, means Im allowed to bring a boom box to work, so I have some tunes to listen to while driving my route. That being said, here are a couple pics of my install... First, the car docking kit and reciever mounting spot. This was the flattest spot on the dash, and although its far from my reach, its the most visual appealing spot on the dash that I could find... and Ive got a remote, so it wasn't really a concern. I should also mention that there are plans to re-route the power cord so that it doesn't look so sloppy.. but its got to plug into the cigarette lighter, so thats the way its gonna be for now, till I figure something else out. I bought the audiovox unit, and the car dock has the built in FM modulator. All that was required for install was the power cord, and running the antenna wire from the roof, through the third brake light, under the headliner, through the door seals, and down to the dash.. then I plugged it in to the back of the docking kit... I then snapped the actual reciever into the dock, and wala.. it worked.. I can get more pics if necessary.. total install took about 45 minutes, and we were going slow, took the dash apart, thinking we'd need to get to the back of my stock stereo, when in fact we didn't. I know, without a doubt, that we could do the same install in 20 minutes now... and we're planning to, in my brothers scion Xb when his stuff gets here...
On to the pics:
reciever setup

Antenna on the roof:

One wierd thing.. I installed it, fully expecting it not to work yet, because I hadn't paid for the service, but we turned it on, and it worked.. and its still working.. and Im getting all the stations.. Im not sure what to do about that....

Scott
Old 12-15-2004, 02:06 PM
DTR's Self Appointed Beer Advisor

Re: Sirius Satellite Radio installed...

Originally posted by Dieseljunkie
One wierd thing.. I installed it, fully expecting it not to work yet, because I hadn't paid for the service, but we turned it on, and it worked.. and its still working.. and Im getting all the stations.. Im not sure what to do about that....

Scott

Don't tell anyone!

Looks good! I really enjoy my XM radio. I would imagine that both services are about the same. You will really like it.

Britt

Old 12-15-2004, 08:00 PM

Does the unit have to be mounted on a flat, level surface? If not, how about something like the CB mount Big Bob did? Here's a pic: https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...cat/500/page/2
Old 12-16-2004, 12:41 AM

Hey, looks almost like you took pics of mine. I guess I'll have to upload one of mine
Old 12-16-2004, 07:39 PM

I had my Pioneer XM Satelite receiver hooked in to the factory radio too. I was going to have the factory radio ripped out and my Pioneer MP3 XM deck installed but the way the Infinity speakers are...according to 2 different installers I was told I would have to pay them for about 7 hours work to re-wire the whole truck speaker system..according to them, the Infinity speakers have pre-amps or something attached to each one of them and blaah blah so, I took the short root. Also I didn't want the factory dash set up all ripped up. I find the Infinity speakers really bass heavy even with the bass completely off..Anybody find a way around this set up?
Here's a picture of myset up https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...cat/500/page/1
Old 12-16-2004, 07:46 PM

Originally posted by Palmtree
I was going to have the factory radio ripped out and my Pioneer MP3 XM deck installed but the way the Infinity speakers are...according to 2 different installers I was told I would have to pay them for about 7 hours work to re-wire the whole truck speaker system..according to them, the Infinity speakers have pre-amps or something attached to each one of them. Anybody find a way around this set up?
[/url]
I had this same problem when I went from my Infinity system to a Pioneer CD player. A local shop did it and said they had to do some research on it, but was able to do it. I dropped of my truck in the morning and it was ready that afternoon. I wish I could tell you what they did. I'm not sure how different the Infinity's they put in the 95's are different from what you have. In your case, it sounds like it would be cheaper to replace the entire system instead of paying the extra labor cost.