3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Sick of DW

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 10:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sick of DW

I am so sick of hearing the complaints of death wobble,but I'm more sick of FEELING it on my own truck,according to some the cure is to leave the truck totally stock,replace track bar with an aftermarket(if this is the cure shouldn't DODGE BE PAYING FOR THIS !!!!!!!!!!),or a specialized way of alignment(which Dodge should also foot the bill for).While i have heard many Ford and Chevy complaints on their trucks,I have not heard them complaining of such a safety problem.I know this dw has to have caused a few wrecks,wondering if anyone was able to take any legal recourse against Dodge. Oh by the way........for sale 03.5 ram 2500 4x4 h.o. 95,000 miles.......or will trade for 6.0 powerstroke
Old 04-25-2006, 10:50 PM
Banned

when did you start to get it?? what have you done to the truck suspension wise??

later, dustin
Old 04-25-2006, 11:02 PM

did this

Have had leveling kit on for almost a year,got the dw 2 weeks ago,replaced shocks and steering stabilizer 3 days after the dw,thought it was cured(or at least "band-aided" for a bit)but nope,got it again today.Tires are good and balanced,front end is all checked out good,by alignment shop.
Old 04-25-2006, 11:40 PM

Have you ever had your trucks alignment done. Probably when the leveling kit was done. I think leveling kits are questionable to start with. Most shops that do the alignment do not get it right. They set if for a gasser pickup which is much lighter on the front end and has way softer springs. The snowplow pkg springs help as do a steering box bearing stabilizer. You changed the stock suspension with your little leveling puck and want to blame dodge. IF you didn't have dw until 2 weeks ago then obviously you have something out of stock specs. or a combination of things. Don't mean to rag on ya too hard but there is lots of info on here about how to cure the dw. Increasing the camber by a couple of degrees is one. Good luck, I have never had dw in my dodge but the f350 6 oh no we had was very bad for it on highway frost heaves in corner. The single shimmy shock was a piece of lightweight crap. ks.
Old 04-26-2006, 02:54 AM

Decent/balanced tires can and do cause death wobble.Try a tire swap.
Old 04-26-2006, 06:59 AM

Saddle,
What kind of tires are you running?
Old 04-26-2006, 07:30 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There was a recent post about the dw that was fixed by balancing one drive shaft and replacing the other. Done at DC expense.
Old 04-26-2006, 05:47 PM

My brothers Excursion had the death wobble something awful. We cured it by selling the POS Ford...

Seriously though, before selling it we added a Fabtech steering stabilizer and rebalanced the tires. That seemed to solve the problem. He sold it soon after that so I don't know if it returned or not. Like just about everyone else who has it, he had altered the stock suspension by installing a lift kit (Fabtech 6" lift).
Old 04-26-2006, 05:56 PM

A post from a week ago or so talked about Caster (or maybe Camber) angle being the culprit. On the CTD Rams, it has to be turned up fairly aggresively. Do some searches on the subject
Old 04-26-2006, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by saddle72
I am so sick of hearing the complaints of death wobble,but I'm more sick of FEELING it on my own truck,according to some the cure is to leave the truck totally stock,replace track bar with an aftermarket(if this is the cure shouldn't DODGE BE PAYING FOR THIS !!!!!!!!!!),or a specialized way of alignment(which Dodge should also foot the bill for).While i have heard many Ford and Chevy complaints on their trucks,I have not heard them complaining of such a safety problem.I know this dw has to have caused a few wrecks,wondering if anyone was able to take any legal recourse against Dodge. Oh by the way........for sale 03.5 ram 2500 4x4 h.o. 95,000 miles.......or will trade for 6.0 powerstroke
One thing about it. If you trade your dodge for a 6.0 power stroke. You will have cured the death wobble issue. Because the power stroke won't go fast enough for death wobble to happen on it.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:18 AM

Oh by the way........for sale 03.5 ram 2500 4x4 h.o. 95,000 miles.......or will trade for 6.0 powerstroke
Have fun with that powerstroke

Eric
Old 04-27-2006, 11:24 AM

maybe it'll be fixed

Ok,finally a shop found something wrong this mornin'(just got back from there).2 dodge dealers said the ball joints were within spec(and of course when they drove it the wobble didn't rear it's ugly head(although when i was drivin' from one to the other it did),but this mornin' a reputable tire dealer here said any hint of movement needs to be taken care of(they said some production tolerance on new ones is too much).they had one 03 and one 04 to do already so i'll have to wait till Monday mornin' to get it fixed.Oh and just in case any of you are thinkin' I've taken this to some dealers who know nothing about this truck,guess again,this is in north central Texas and both of those dealers sell more 2500 and 3500's than they do anything.Also if ya think the levelin' kit had anything to do with it,nope,both the trucks the shop is doing today are box stock with less miles than mine,and they are on stock tires.The 04 is at 40,000 and it has alot of slop in it.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:38 PM

cost is

Oh,by the way,the price quote is $632,upper and lower,labor,re-align,and check tire balance again(just did that last week though and the pro comps were perfect).Does this sound about right???????
Old 04-27-2006, 12:40 PM

Oh,by the way,the price quote is $632,upper and lower,labor,re-align,and check tire balance again(just did that last week though and the pro comps were perfect).Does this sound about right???????
so what kind of tires are you running?
Old 04-27-2006, 09:13 PM

tires

Pro Comp a/t 33/12.50/17,on the stock rims,fronts look great(almost like new)with 20,000 on them,rears wear alot in the middle(not overinflated).You'd think it would be the other way around with all that weight up front(ctd,4x4,plus a full replacement ranch hand).Run 49psi up front,40 in back(49psi with the horse trailer).Any ideas????????Myabe needs wider rims??????No i don't light 'em up at every stoplight(just a few times since I've had 'em).

Quick Reply: Sick of DW