3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Show me your headache racks.

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 07:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CD in NM
I have the Ranch Hand Headache Rack - It is well made, serves the purpose well also. They have pics on their website. I have built my own in the past, cost to build in materials is the same as buying one without all the work.

CD
i had about 60 bucks worth of material in mine not counting the lights. i had some time invested, but i enjoy the work so i dont count it as cost
Old 01-01-2008, 08:18 PM

Hey whitebuffalo.

I guess I should have been more clear? For me it is about a 1 hour drive to get steel, plus the fuel. Steel in my area is VERY expensive, you could double your materials cost if you bought steel here in my area. Getting paint, etc is about an hour in the other direction, plus fuel again. Add the welding, grinding, painting, etc all together - less expensive to just buy it and have it delivered to my door. Then there is the part of finding time to build it, paint it, etc - I had trouble finding extra time to jut install the one delivered to my door.

I too enjoy building things, sometimes it IS all about the FUN and being original, etc. When I bought my truck it was winter, I needed to get stuff done more expediantly, was truly busy as a one-armed paperhanger at the time, so I bought mine. Plus, if I started with building the headache rack, the I would have been building the front grille protector, then the rear bumper - you get my point by now - that would have been just TOO much time. I kind of liked the 'bolt-n-go' for a change, I used to build all my stuff. Truly brings meaning to 'You Pay and have more time to Play'.

CD
Old 01-01-2008, 08:25 PM

I found this headache rack on ebay, very nicely built and I think its a pretty good buy http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-LIGHTED-HEADACHE-RACK-POWDER-COATED-BLACK_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33651QQihZ012QQit emZ220188237016QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW hope that link works if not just type in this item number 220188237016 hope this helps
Old 01-01-2008, 08:29 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
ya i would like to know where i can get steel that cheap too! the long bed conversion is going to be spendy on the steel side! labor is all mine, the bed is fairly cheap! Steel prices here in Albuquerque are STUPID
Old 01-02-2008, 10:45 PM

check these out i really like these, i'm going to build one like this.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...icial%26sa%3DG
Old 01-02-2008, 10:50 PM

I paid 500 for a "western hauler" style. That included LED's, 2 red/2 white..Looks good. better than i could build
Old 01-03-2008, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by CD in NM
Hey whitebuffalo.

I guess I should have been more clear? For me it is about a 1 hour drive to get steel, plus the fuel. Steel in my area is VERY expensive, you could double your materials cost if you bought steel here in my area. Getting paint, etc is about an hour in the other direction, plus fuel again. Add the welding, grinding, painting, etc all together - less expensive to just buy it and have it delivered to my door. Then there is the part of finding time to build it, paint it, etc - I had trouble finding extra time to jut install the one delivered to my door.

I too enjoy building things, sometimes it IS all about the FUN and being original, etc. When I bought my truck it was winter, I needed to get stuff done more expediantly, was truly busy as a one-armed paperhanger at the time, so I bought mine. Plus, if I started with building the headache rack, the I would have been building the front grille protector, then the rear bumper - you get my point by now - that would have been just TOO much time. I kind of liked the 'bolt-n-go' for a change, I used to build all my stuff. Truly brings meaning to 'You Pay and have more time to Play'.

CD
i hear ya. i wont complete all my "projects" until im about 118 yrs old .
and.....as you mentioned one thing leads to another, so i had to build steps too. i bought the material near where i worked at the time, so i got it while on lunch, etc, etc.

not to mention im a raging tightwad

i just told my wife we're gonna start downsizing some of the toys because i need a doggone fleet manager to take care of it all.