3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Should I just give up??

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 10:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ummm, you don't have any vehicles in you signature, don't have a signatureż...
Old 06-14-2006, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by bigdav160
You're upside down in your current truck. It's V6 fuel mileage is killin' ya and you "now have the means to do it".

Sorry kid. I know you don't want to hear it but IMHO, your making a mistake.

These diesel trucks are downright poor "off road" vehicles. The front end is heavy and pushes. The large rear axle has a poor excuse for a limited slip.

The fuel mileage is likely to be the same as your gasser and the maintenance on the diesel will be higher.

Even though the performance is impressive for a 8000lb vehicle they are no hotrod in stock form. They are very expensive to "mod" compared to other vehicles.

Please, do you think I acquired the vehicles in my signature (and the garage to keep them) by being foolish with my money? Read your post above:

From an old guy to a young guy. SAVE YOUR MONEY!
I know it is't the best off road, I'm really just looking at options. I'd rather not keep my current truck, whether I buy another or not, I just don't like it anymore. I know I should save my money, but this is just a tiny step, I know they cost more to mod, but like I said this is the first time I'll actually be able to do it. All the prices are right so I'm just gonna sit back and see what happens. Thanks for your advice, and who knows, I might just do that. I just want a change and if I can pay the same I am now there is no reason not to get a CTD. I know I need to get over the gotta have it factor, but my brain can't seem to focus on anything else. I've just never had a vehicle that I wanted, I've always had to settle and I just don't want to do it anymore. I'm glad you diddn't get mad at what I said, says a lot when you still try and prevent my stupidity from costing me money. I just want to try, and if I can't then the gotta have it bug will die.

Thanks everybody for your replies.

EDIT: I know I'm upside down if I trade it in, but if I sell it outright I'll be 1k ahead (that's less than blue book for private party) So I could sell it myself and break even. If I could go back, I wouldn't have gotten this truck, but I was in a situation where I either bought something or had no car. I bought this truck for my first ever new vehicle and I guess I just diddn't know what I know now.

Do you think there is any way I could sell it myself? It has low miles but is "undesireable" as far as trucks go. More advice would be appreciated.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Fisherguy
No sig because no CTD. I have a 2004 reg cab ST with auto tranny, 2wd, and 23k on the odometer.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:35 AM

well, if you try and sell your current vehicle, then there is no need to look for another truck until you have a prospective buyer in talks for yours. Lots change from day to day, so what you see you like now, prolly won't be ther when you sell yours.

I just traded in an 01 2500 with 162,000 on the clock for my 03' 2500. Dealer wanted 26 for it, but I got him down to 24, and got 15,500 for mine. I just needed something newer for (1) my own comfort, (2) warranty. I am having to make a lot of long trips now, and my paynet changed $10. So why not get a truck that has 100,000 miles less on it.

If you plan on modding the truck you buy, then you might want to read all the problems on the 04.5 and newer trucks after mods are added to them. That third injection event that was added to these models seems to be causing problems, and from the way it sounds, you will not be able to afford a down time on your primary transportation.

I go the 03 cause I don't see may threads about problems with them that involve mechanical reliablity. just a thread here and there with vibrations that are usually cured with U-Joints.
Old 06-14-2006, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by HappyGA
well, if you try and sell your current vehicle, then there is no need to look for another truck until you have a prospective buyer in talks for yours. Lots change from day to day, so what you see you like now, prolly won't be ther when you sell yours.

I just traded in an 01 2500 with 162,000 on the clock for my 03' 2500. Dealer wanted 26 for it, but I got him down to 24, and got 15,500 for mine. I just needed something newer for (1) my own comfort, (2) warranty. I am having to make a lot of long trips now, and my paynet changed $10. So why not get a truck that has 100,000 miles less on it.

If you plan on modding the truck you buy, then you might want to read all the problems on the 04.5 and newer trucks after mods are added to them. That third injection event that was added to these models seems to be causing problems, and from the way it sounds, you will not be able to afford a down time on your primary transportation.

I go the 03 cause I don't see may threads about problems with them that involve mechanical reliablity. just a thread here and there with vibrations that are usually cured with U-Joints.
I want an 03' or an 04' but with the rebates and stuff they will end up around the same price and payment. If I find an 03' I'd get it, but that's been near impossible. I'm not going to do any heavy mods yet. Just a mild box, TC and VB upgrade is it. Might hollow out the cat. The other reason I wanted an 03' is no cat, I don't care about warrenty because I'm gonna void it anyway.

Like I've been saying, I'm just gonna see what opeions I've got. A brand new truck would be nice, I've always had the fear that I'd buy someone else's problem with a used truck.

It just sucks that most of the 03's I have looked at are 23k and this new one will be like 25k after rebates and have a lower interest rate so everything might even out. We'll just have to see.

I'm making the drive to San Angelo to look at a reg cab on friday. If the price isn't what I want it to be I'll leave. I won't get myself into something I can't handle.
Old 06-14-2006, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by rico334
I think finding a 47re in an ho '03 or '04 is even rarer than you think........
Hey Rick, how was your experience with all american?
Old 06-14-2006, 11:43 AM

How much are you looking to spend and what kind of mileage are you looking for?
Old 06-14-2006, 11:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think he was talking to me.

I don't know. It showed up in my other response in this thread.
Old 06-14-2006, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by schorb
How much are you looking to spend and what kind of mileage are you looking for?
Well, I want to spend about 19k to 20k on a used one. As far as mileage, it depends on if it towed a 5th wheel all its life and has 175k mi then thats too much. The auto trannies give out at 150k I'm told and I don't want to buy a built one just yet. I'd like to get one less than 100k, but if the owner took care of it and all tsb's and oil changes are good then I'd go over 100k.

I have found a few in that range, but one was beat to hell, and the other sold too fast. The last one has lots of weird problems.

As I said in an earlier post, I might just go look this friday and see if I can get my paymt where I want it. If they have a truck for the right price I'll prolly get an 06'. My main concern is getting a truck with a good auto tranny.

But if an 03' or early 04' came up with the right price and mileage, I'd rather have that for numerous reasons.
Old 06-14-2006, 01:31 PM

Mine is an '03 reg cab, 4x4, but it's the standard output. It just broke 92,000 miles and i've been thinking about a 4-door Dodge. I use it to go back and forth to work and any towing has been either a 16' bass boat or a 10' flat bed trailer with two 4-wheelers. I haven't thought about being really seriuos about selling it, but I have a 4-door in the back of my mind. If you're interested, PM me and we can talk. I live just west of Fort Worth.
-Brian
Old 06-14-2006, 06:50 PM

Ok guys, I just got back from Frontier Dodge in Lubbock. The first thing I did was ask for the invoice on the truck I was looking at. They told me they don't like to give out invoice. But were willing to work to close to it then take off the $3,500 rebate.

My question is, HOW are you guys getting invoice minus the 3% holdback minus rebates????
Old 06-14-2006, 08:10 PM

If they don't "like" to show me the invoice then I would see if they would "like" to show me the door. I have left many dealerships for that reason. I figure if they want to sell me the truck then they can show me the invoice.
Old 06-15-2006, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by powerchokeater
If they don't "like" to show me the invoice then I would see if they would "like" to show me the door. I have left many dealerships for that reason. I figure if they want to sell me the truck then they can show me the invoice.
He said he'd show it to me, but it's not "standard practice." I could get to invoice on the one I want, but how do some of you guys get the adittional 3%?
Old 06-15-2006, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by bigdav160
I think he was talking to me.

I don't know. It showed up in my other response in this thread.

Okay, techno glitch.

Nice cars, is the 67 Vette a big block?
Always liked those ones...
Old 06-15-2006, 04:17 PM

So yea, I'll ask again. HOW are you guys getting the 3% under invoice? This info will help me a lot.

Quick Reply: Should I just give up??