3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Should I just give up??

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 02:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Should I just give up??

I've been looking for a truck for ever. All seem to be around my price range, but what I want is very rare. Here is a link to a topic I posted a couple of days ago. What I want is a reg cab 4wd srw ho 47re 03' or 04' not 04.5'. This seems easy enough, however, I have been unable to locate one closer than 400mi away and most aren't a good deal anyway. The truck I drive is about $1,500 upside down so I have to add that to whatever I buy unless I can sell it myself. I don't want to get stuck with two payments so that will be difficult. I have gotten much advice, but never seem to get anywhere. Should I just sell mine myself and save some money for a while or try and get what I want? It sucks that I am a payment buyer, but I don't even get that far because there are no trucks to be found, used or new. With the encentives out right now it may be wise to purchase new, however, I canott afford a $500 payment.

All in all I just want to know what you guys would do. I'm tired of a reg cab 2004 v6 200hp POS I have. I love everything about the truck except not 4wd, no diesel and manual doors and locks. I also get about 11mpg in town and maybe 18hwy. This truck is sucking the money out of me with gas the way it is and my 50mi per day work commute. I don't want to get a car cause I like to be able to get in and out of it, and I don't want anything gas or ford or gm.

WHAT DO I DO???? this is so frustrating. I can afford a truck, but can't find one that is in my price range because there are only 3 or 4 on the WHOLE COUNTRY!!! I may go to a dealer today and price a new truck. crap this sucks. Did any of you have this problem?

Thanks for letting me rant
Old 06-12-2006, 02:57 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Your difficulties are either a testament to how much people love their trucks and don't want to get rid of them, or to how few regular cab 4X4 CTD trucks were built (or a little of both).

I know this doesn't help, but you need to either exercise more patience or "settle" for a quad cab. They're really not all that bad you know
Old 06-12-2006, 03:04 PM

Yeah, why not the quad cab? The storage room for a bachelor like myself is in-valuable when heading on a hunting trip, to the river for a fishing trip or when you got 5 girls loaded up in the truck with yah...

I found my truck for 23 and some change total. I am in N. Alabama, and the guy will go and get you a truck if you tell him what you want and ou are serious about it. I stayed on him for like a month, and I guess he finally took me as being serious, and called and said, I am going this weekend to an auction to get such and such. He called Monday and said come look at this truck, I did, and bought it week before last and traded in my truck.

If you are upside down in a payment, you will not have two payments. They will payoff the one you have, and tack whatver is left on top of the new amount. So you will have one payment, it will just be a little larger because of the extra principal.

I got $15,500 for my 01 with 162,000 miles on it. I couldn't have been happier with that amount for a trade in and the thigns that needed to be done to it.
Old 06-12-2006, 03:14 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
PM sent with links to trucks available around here.
Old 06-13-2006, 07:11 AM

thanks guys. It's not that I don't want a quad cab, it's just that no.1 reg cabs are cheaper and no.2 not many single cab diesels out there no matter what brand. I just like the single cab I have now. I think I raised my price limit now so I have more options.

Thanks for letting me rant.
Old 06-13-2006, 12:40 PM

A 4x4 single cab CTD is like finding a diamond in a landfill. I wanted a reg. cab bad, but they just aren't out there. My 98 club cab was nice, but I am single, and no kids, so it just became a place to store things that had no better home. I finally gave up and just dealt with the fact that the resale will be higher on a QC, and they really are nice to have, and boy, they are roooomy! It's like a school bus
Old 06-13-2006, 01:21 PM

I found a few for a good price that are very close. The only thing is they are flatbed and I have no use for a flatbed.

So, how much will the dealer laugh at me if I ask if they could put a regular bed on one?
Old 06-13-2006, 02:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just get a takeoff bed and put it on. To paint the bed at a shop will run about $800 (quote for my shortbed recently). S/B able to find a good bed for about the same $.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PanteraGSTK
but what I want is very rare. What I want is a reg cab 4wd srw ho 47re 03' or 04' not 04.5'.
I think finding a 47re in an ho '03 or '04 is even rarer than you think........
Old 06-14-2006, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by rico334
I think finding a 47re in an ho '03 or '04 is even rarer than you think........
Woops I meant 48RE. Have you seen anything in San Angelo? It would give me an excuse to visit my grandparents
Old 06-14-2006, 08:02 AM

I love everything about the truck except not 4wd, no diesel and manual doors and locks. I also get about 11mpg in town and maybe 18hwy. This truck is sucking the money out of me with gas
What do you tow? Not towing? Then there isn't really any reason to own a diesel powered truck. The fuel economy will never pay off.

Keep your current truck and save some money.
Old 06-14-2006, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by bigdav160
What do you tow? Not towing? Then there isn't really any reason to own a diesel powered truck. The fuel economy will never pay off.

Keep your current truck and save some money.
I don't haul plywood or have a use for the bed of my truck except for groceries. I have a truck because I want too. I like to off-road. Can't do that with a 2wd v6. A diesel will make me break about even, but will MAKE ME HAPPY... which is more important than my "need" for a truck.

This is the same when I go to the dealerships to look for a truck. I tell them 4wd DIESEL and they show me 2wd hemi's. Were they paying attention? NO. I tow a boat and thats it. I am too big for cars, I don't like having to lean the seat back half into the back seat just so my head won't touch the celing. I have had 3 vehicles in my life. A ford ranger but it was a truck and I loved it(except for the bad engine, same problem I have now ) I had a regal(buick) and my head touched the celing and I felt like I had to be a contortionist to get into it. It isn't even a small car. I got the truck I have and I love the space on the inside. I hate 2wd and the no power v6 and love everything else(not tranny). Thats why I want a CTD. I don't care whether or not it is practicle. If I wanted just to get good mileage I would buy a diesel jetta and only have that. But I would hate the car everytime I saw it, unless I had a truck at home.

The only way for me to save money with my current truck is to ride the bus and not drive it. I don't pay $300 a month to do that. I bought this truck with the specific intention of trading it after a year. I have been looking for a truck for 6months with no luck. I can afford what I want so I'm going to get it. It has just been a pain. I started this post to ask opinions on how to find a truck or where, not why I should get a diesel. Stay on topic or refrain from posting.

I'm not trying to sound rude, its just that I have always wanted one of these trucks and now have the means to do it. A vehicle is more to me than a mode of transportation. I have always wanted to mod my vehicles, but have never had one worth it. Well, I wanted to put a 5.0 in the ranger but that's another story. So please try to encourage me not discourage, I'm too close to getting my dream truck
Old 06-14-2006, 09:16 AM

I looked for the truck I wanted for a long time. Tried to gind a 04.5 - 05 quad cab long box 4x4 with a 6 spd, all I could find was autos or shrtboxes or dually's.

Ended up getting a brand new 06, couldn't be happier.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Fisherguy
I looked for the truck I wanted for a long time. Tried to gind a 04.5 - 05 quad cab long box 4x4 with a 6 spd, all I could find was autos or shrtboxes or dually's.

Ended up getting a brand new 06, couldn't be happier.
Well, I found a truck in San Angelo. An 06' reg cab 4wd CTD I just need to call them and get some specifics. With repates I should pay around 26k. I am looking at 03's with 80k miles for 24k New truck for 2k more? no brainer
Old 06-14-2006, 10:02 AM

I'm not trying to sound rude, its just that I have always wanted one of these trucks and now have the means to do it.
You're upside down in your current truck. It's V6 fuel mileage is killin' ya and you "now have the means to do it".

Sorry kid. I know you don't want to hear it but IMHO, your making a mistake.

These diesel trucks are downright poor "off road" vehicles. The front end is heavy and pushes. The large rear axle has a poor excuse for a limited slip.

The fuel mileage is likely to be the same as your gasser and the maintenance on the diesel will be higher.

Even though the performance is impressive for a 8000lb vehicle they are no hotrod in stock form. They are very expensive to "mod" compared to other vehicles.

Stay on topic or refrain from posting
Please, do you think I acquired the vehicles in my signature (and the garage to keep them) by being foolish with my money? Read your post above:

save some money for a while or try and get what I want? It sucks that I am a payment buyer
From an old guy to a young guy. SAVE YOUR MONEY!

Quick Reply: Should I just give up??