3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Should I buy an 03 or 04, advice please

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2003, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
offroad package and other things

for 04, the offroad package is nothing more than a bundle of several things that can be pieced out individually or in other groups. Its basically the protection group plus 4.10 anti-spin axle, so you are forced into the 4.10 with that option. The protection group is skid plates and tow hooks, and probably something that I'm not remembering right now...maybe fog lights. Anyway, you can get the anti-spin option separately for the 3.73s.

yea, Laramie includes a lot of stuff standard, and I believe you guys are right about the light group being part of that. On the front chrome -- recall that in 03 the Laramie's are immediately distinguishable from the front by the body-color surround collar on the grille? now the 04s have a chrome surround instead of body color. at least for the non-sport models -- I don't know about those

body side modlings--those black rubber strips along the side. If you have a Larmie, those are chrome now instead of black. (not the sport model as I say, I'm not sure what happens there).
Old 08-09-2003, 08:59 PM

Re:Should I buy an 03 or 04, advice please

I live in NE PA and I can certainly remember scraping thick ice of my all my windows. With a truck most people don't bother doing the rear because it's a real pain to get to so you just use your side mirrors. This is still not nearly as good as having a clear rear window. I remember thinking on several occasions that I wish my outside mirrors and rear window were heated!

I definately got the rear defroster when I saw it available (and I think Dodge is the ONLY manufacturer to offer them or side air bags on trucks). My '96 Dodge I traded had a power slider rear window that I installed. It was really nice and easy to operate from the front seat, I may have used it three times in 4 years. A slider in the back is pointless in my opinion and an easy entry point for thieves.

I also definately wanted side air bags because I have two baby daughters and I like most of the people I would let ride in my truck.

I read a study recently that showed how dangerous side impacts are and how few cars have side air bags. To me it was a no brainer.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-09-2003, 09:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm with you on those two Berak, I'm definitely getting side airbags and rear defroster.
Old 08-09-2003, 10:52 PM

lightman i fully understand the depreciation aspect of the 03 over the 04. Its just been my experience that 3 or 4 yrs later a one year difference in a like body style doesnt amount to much . And as long as you buy right you can always upgrade later without it costing you too much i dont think diesel trucks go down that much in value.I got 980.00 less than i paid for my 02 ram 17 months after i bought it. I just wasnt going to take the chance of having egr and a cat . just my two pennys
Old 08-09-2003, 11:00 PM

well as I said, I'm waiting till later in the week when the first 04s show up (hopefully!) and we'll know on the EGR issue right away. I can't stand the woodgrain in the laramies and really want to see how the new 04 looks, especially with sport package and billet grille etc.
Old 08-11-2003, 10:23 PM

If anyone on here is like me what is one years depreciation for a truck that you will keep till the wheels fall off (15-20 years). Buy the truck to last and get what you want. I had an 03 SO and was not happy with the truck, SO auto with 3.73 gears is a slow mule when towing. I quickly traded it in and ordered an HO with some things my SO did'nt have that I had to have such as the LSD and leather wrapped steering wheel and something all auto's should have 4.10 gears. I took a 10K hit but made it back up on the new truck price (got it at cost) and rebates.

I'm glad I got rid of the SO because in the long run I would not have been happy and would have traded it in when the 10K hit would have been more like 15K.

Heres to having a truck that will last me for the next 15 years.
;D ;D ;D
Old 08-11-2003, 10:41 PM

Is a H0 auto with 3.73 that sluggish ??? Thats what I was planning. I wanted the lower cruising rpms for better mpg, and wont be towing heavy loads, max 5500-6000lbs on occasion, most of the time 1000lbs.
Old 08-11-2003, 11:26 PM

I have the HO auto 3.73 s and it tows good and turns about 2100 at 70 mph. I you get on it,it will go right to 3200 and shift and drops to about 2500 its fun to drive. You have to keep the rpms up around 1800.
Old 08-12-2003, 08:16 AM

Maybe someday we'll be able to switch RDOTF electronically
(Rear Differential On The Fly). Wouldn't that would be the best of both worlds. 8)
Old 08-12-2003, 10:08 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

[quote author=Vittorio link=board=17;threadid=18172;start=15#msg171487 date=1060694209]
Maybe someday we'll be able to switch RDOTF electronically
(Rear Differential On The Fly). Wouldn't that would be the best of both worlds. 8)
[/quote]

There are two speed rear ends for heavier trucks now. I would not be surprised if someone has done it on a Ram already. It would have to be a 4x2 for simplicity I suppose.

A gear splitter can help too.
Old 08-12-2003, 03:25 PM

So what are the pros and cons of each method?

the gear splitter is essentially another ~20% or so overdrive gear that can be inserted 'after' gear 3,4,5,or 6. or something like that. Its a device that hangs on the outboard side of the xfer case to drive the rear axle.

The two speed rear end would have two gears in the differential itself, right?

Old 08-12-2003, 07:13 PM

Doug and Scotty are right. If y'all are old enough, remember in the olden days TR6's had electronic overdrives that split the last two manual tranny gears electronically into half gears. They were tranny (now transfer case) gizmos. But, if we could get truck electronic rear differential transfer cases either running 3's or 4's in 4 x 4 with a shift on the fly, you'd really have a bronc! It's just a matter of time.
Old 08-12-2003, 09:11 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

When I talked to Gear vendors they asked what I wanted to do. I told them I wanted a better overdrive.
Simply put I can have 1.5-6.5 on a six speed. Which would maybe work well with all transmissions and then you could split your direct drive for cruising and staying in the sweet spot...depending on the highway speed you desire too.
I may consider this for the BLACK truck...but not a Gear Vendor...It does not work in 4x4 and the US gear does.
I think that I would probably use it in 4x4 in the lower gears depending on the need.

I am leaning towards a set of 19.5 alcoas too. ;D
Old 08-12-2003, 09:16 PM

I"m leaning towards slapping you guys for hijacking my thread!!!!!! LMAO, J/K

"Edited by Admin"
Old 08-12-2003, 09:26 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts

Too many years ago I owned a manual shift Rambler station wagon that had a selectable overdrive on the top gear. This was a three speed tranni. The O/D in effect gave it a forth gear and worked very well. I investigated it and found out that it was a planetary gear drive behind the tranni. I easily 'modified' it and ended up with O/D on all gears including reverse.
Now back to the original thread ..............

Quick Reply: Should I buy an 03 or 04, advice please