3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Shocked!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 01:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the Rancho 9000 XL's and am happy with them. They are the 9 way adjustable. They work very well with the 5'er.

Boris
Old 01-24-2008, 01:49 PM
With age comes the cage

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by VegiRam
I agree with the point you are making. Although, as a business man, I have to believe this is not how you run a successful business.

Why would they warranty the shocks? Well, they replace my DEFETIVE shocks so that I get on DTR forum and tell everyone how great Pro-Comp customer service is and how they took care of a problem when their product failed. INSTEAD of that happening.....I get on DTR and explain what a horrible customer serivce policy Pro-Comp has, especially with such a obvious defect. All 4 shocks blown out in 15,000 miles!
We run a lot of BS on Dodge on this forum too..they don't seem to be improving either!! One of my favorite comments to poor customer service is to say "Thank You for the reminded on how NOT to treat a good customer!"
Old 01-24-2008, 05:06 PM

got my white bodied pro comp shocks for all four installed 100 bucks.

you just gotta know where to shop.

replace 'em every year.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Sixxer
Bilstein FTW

haha sixxer, this is for you...

My ATS Trans I had was warrentied the same way BTW.

Merrick
Old 01-24-2008, 07:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Two can play this game! Replace the old shocks with the exact same new ones. Then about six months from now, make a warranty claim on the old shocks using the new receipt. You won't get your money back, but you will have a spare set.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:52 PM

I will never buy ProComp shocks. Had 2 sets on my F350 and on both sets the bushings wore out in about 10000 miles to the point where the bolt would just float around in it which gave the suspension about 3/4 inch of undamped travel. They got me twice, never again. I won't buy their wheels or tires either.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by fredbert
Two can play this game! Replace the old shocks with the exact same new ones. Then about six months from now, make a warranty claim on the old shocks using the new receipt. You won't get your money back, but you will have a spare set.

Merrick
Old 01-24-2008, 10:11 PM

One problem with bilstein is you cannot get any right now. At least where I have been trying. they say there backordered till middle of Feb. Which is not that long now I guess. Just I wanted them to be brough up here in a couple weeks.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by ptgarcia
90% of Pro Comp customers don't research on the internet. Most Pro Comp customers are customers because the local shop recommend them (that's the kit that shop carries of course) or because the dealer installed a Pro Comp kit. Pro Comp knows this so they could care less if someone bad mouths them on the internet. This is typical of all the big name off-the-shelf kit manufacturers: Fabtech, Superlift, etc.
while off the shelf stuff is not as good as high-end custom stuff from thuren, lorenz etc., they allow a lot of people affordable suspension options, and the difference between the 'white shocks' and bilsteins is less than you would think. the real difference is when you move up to kings or sway-a-ways, which is why they are the recommended shocks with thuren and lorenz springs. i've had a blown pro-comp shock replaced at no cost and no hassle, and while they are REALLY stiff shocks, they generally hold up well. lots of companies will only honor their warranty with the original purchaser- covers their a** from the thousands of people who buy used and sometimes abused stuff from places like e-bay. btw pro comp shocks are made by rancho, so rancho's adjustable shocks will be very similar to pro comp.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:32 AM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
"Replace the old shocks with the exact same new ones. Then about six months from now, make a warranty claim on the old shocks using the new receipt. "

That's fraud. He got this truck used. With a modification like that, you should expect that someone had to try it out. There's no telling what kind of jumps have been made with this thing, or what kind of holes or rocks it's been thru and over. Buyer beware. It's not anything new.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:50 AM

Shocks

Had pro comps on my 01 1500 gasser and they sucked! Now I have Billsteins on my 2500 CTD and they
Old 01-25-2008, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by chipmonk
while off the shelf stuff is not as good as high-end custom stuff from thuren, lorenz etc., they allow a lot of people affordable suspension options, and the difference between the 'white shocks' and bilsteins is less than you would think. the real difference is when you move up to kings or sway-a-ways, which is why they are the recommended shocks with thuren and lorenz springs. i've had a blown pro-comp shock replaced at no cost and no hassle, and while they are REALLY stiff shocks, they generally hold up well. lots of companies will only honor their warranty with the original purchaser- covers their a** from the thousands of people who buy used and sometimes abused stuff from places like e-bay. btw pro comp shocks are made by rancho, so rancho's adjustable shocks will be very similar to pro comp.

Just about all the white bodied shocks are made by Tenneco and rebadged by Rancho, Pro Comp, Fabtech, etc. Just another disposable shock, about the same quality as the stock shocks, just with prettier stickers.

Bilsteins are a mono tube design, much like the high end race shocks, but they're not serviceable and use rubber bushings instead of bearings. They're not as robust as a race shock either but they do have similar designs.
Old 01-25-2008, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by CTD NUT
If only Bilstien made an externally adjustable shock. I like 5100's for the front but they just don't cut if for the rear if you ever haul heavy. Has anyone heard any feedback about the new mono flow Rancho 9000's? They are supposed to be a big improvement in durability and fade resistance over their predecessors.
Would you please clarify this a little more? I happen to have the Billie Sports on my Bimmer and they are definately under-damped in the rear so the back pogos a bit - I'll probably switch out to Koni's. But on the Dodge are you saying that the rear shox don't have enough damping to control heavy loads?
Old 01-25-2008, 12:09 PM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by louielouie
But on the Dodge are you saying that the rear shox don't have enough damping to control heavy loads?
Yes.

I have run adjustable shocks on the rear of my other CTD's and crank them all the way up for when I tow with my heavy slide-in camper in the back. I haven't come across another shock that provides adequate dampening with very heavy loads in the rear compared to a 9000 cranked all the way up. I agree that they have quality issues and certainly welcome alternatives.....the MX6's don't seem to be any better. That is why I said that I wish there was a good quality mono tube shock that was externally adjustable. 5100's don't provide adequate dampening when loaded very heavy coupled with air springs at very high pressures. I am interested in hearing more about these new "mono flow" 9000's and if they have successfully addressed any of the issues with the previous 9000 designs - Rancho claims that they have.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:46 PM

I wouldn't put Pro Comp on my lawn mower. Have about 50Kmile on my Bilstein 5100s, still like new.

Pete

Quick Reply: Shocked!