3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Shock Install?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 07:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Shock Install?

I am looking to install a new set of Bilstein shocks on my 2wd 2500. I installed new shocks on my old Chevy Silverado. I know the rear shocks are a piece of cake. Does anyone have any notes or tips on how to install the front. I know on my old truck I had to go through the wheel well hold the shaft of the shock while turning the top bolt. Is this something easily done with basic hand tools on the Ram?

Now I just need to hope the ride difference is noticeable to the wife. If she does not notice an improvement she will kill me for spending the money. Only 10k miles on the truck. I leave the tires with high pressure for weekend 5th wheel towing.

Thanks.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:16 AM

When I did the fronts on mine, I ran the truck up on ramps for clearance.
Then held the top of the shock nut with a pair of vice grips and used a open end wrench to loosen the top nut.
Hope this helps.

The ride should be noticable. The stock shocks are not that good to begin with.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:15 AM

we put the bilsteins on our '03 and HUGE difference, especially when towing our fifth. the top nut is an 18mm the bottom bolt is a 21mm or 13/16 the shock tower nuts are 13mm swivel med. length. we have 4x4's i hope this info helps..............
Old 09-07-2007, 02:18 PM

I'd like some tips on this too.. I swapped out the rears a few weekends ago, and the ride a better, but I hadn't done the fronts yet, because I ran out of time.

On the fronts, do you remove the bottom bolt, the top nut, and then the shock tower basket (not sure what to call it)? Or does the basket stay in place, and only the top and bottom nut come out?

Thanks
Old 09-08-2007, 12:10 AM

I had to take off the 3 bolts for the shock tower and then install the shock into the spring then put the shock towers on. It might be better to install the new shock tower to the shock while out of the truck first, so that you can tighten down the top shock bolt. Hopefully there is some wiggle room to drop it straight down the coil and install the bottom bolt. I have a little rattle from the top of the shock not having good torque on the top bolt on mine.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:30 AM

When I did the fronts on mine, being that its a 2 wheel drive, I removed the top mounting nut and the two bolts on the bottom and slid the shocks out the bottom.
I didnt remove anything else.
Old 09-08-2007, 11:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by donnee
When I did the fronts on mine, being that its a 2 wheel drive, I removed the top mounting nut and the two bolts on the bottom and slid the shocks out the bottom.
I didnt remove anything else.
This is exactly how I did it too. One thing though is the hole you slide the shock into isn't very big. I had to jack the truck up a lot so the shock could go in straight enough. Personally, I thought the fronts were easier than the rears.
Old 09-08-2007, 08:53 PM

Thanks guys, sounds pretty easy. Remove the top nut, jack the front of the truck up alot, then remove the bottom nut and slide the shock out from the bottom.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:42 AM

I finally got all my new Bilstein shocks installed. It did not go as smooth as expected. I was able to install the rear with little trouble. I did not notice that much difference in ride quality. The next night I tried working on the front, that was a mess. I can't belive how rusted the bolts were for a low milage truck. Needless to say I had to take it into the shop and have them install them ($90).
Now that all 4 are on the ride quality is great. It is still a HD truck but you can tell the shocks are working. No, more teeth rattling bumps. I am not sure if I would say they were worth $250+$90 but if they last I guess it is not too bad. I wonder how it will ride when I hook up the 5th wheel. Thanks for all your help.