3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Shifting a Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 07:12 PM
gwr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shifting a Diesel

I'm thinking of trading my "02 QC 4x4 4.7 for a '07 2500 diesel. I've noticed several references about how different a diesel shifts (manual). Other than the obvious that it is a lower revving engine just what exactly do you do differently? Just curious,
Gary
Old 06-04-2007, 07:29 PM
jdh

You likely won't be able to shift as quickly simply because of the size of the tranny under the floor, but even that is debatible. These tranny's have come a long way in a short time and I would doubt you would notice any real difference.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:40 PM

i think the only thing that changed for me was shift points. no running the rmps up to 3k before dumping it!....well you can but you will be spending alot in tires...lol
Old 06-04-2007, 07:46 PM

Also, assuming that your truck is stock, you just start out in 2nd gear and don't even use 1st. You also just ease the clutch out and don't give any throttlw until after full engagement whereas a gasser has to be slipped alon with partial throttle.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:05 PM

Yup- zero throttle launch. Don't feather the throttle. Also, take it easy letting the clutch out. The torque is pretty rough on u-joints if you dump the clutch and hit the "gas".
Old 06-04-2007, 08:29 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I even take off in 3rd gear from time to time if it is a slight decline.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:59 PM

Learn something every day

Hmmm, I've only had mine a few weeks but I have been giving it throttle while letting the clutch out.

I guess I'll have to go and try just letting the clutch out all the way first then accelerating. Boy that is gonna be tough to train the noggin' to do.

-Josh
Old 06-05-2007, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by CalypsoCowboy
Hmmm, I've only had mine a few weeks but I have been giving it throttle while letting the clutch out.

I guess I'll have to go and try just letting the clutch out all the way first then accelerating. Boy that is gonna be tough to train the noggin' to do.

-Josh
Yes, but it makes everything so smooth! These diesels would be the perfect vehicle for ANYONE to learn how to drive a stick on.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:19 AM
Banned

Ask Troy how to shift one of these bad boys!!! Tbarbee1 is his user name.. Mark (53 *****) can vouch for him!!
Old 06-05-2007, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by CalypsoCowboy

-Josh
Took me a bit of time to learn to do this, but now that I know, it's great! I feel better since the clutch is getting minimum wear with this approach versus higher RPM's and slipping it.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:55 AM

I hadn't driven a manual transmission in a long time till I got my truck, now that im so used to it, if I hop into a gasser manual, i will kill it because I forget that diesels have so much torque. I think it's easier to drive a diesel than a gasser when it comes to a manual trans.
And if I hop into anything with an automatic transmission, it takes me about 20 minutes to realize that my foot doesn't have to move and find the clutch
Old 06-05-2007, 01:08 PM

Yup! Hahahahaha! Everytime I drive a gas manual I dang-near stall it. It is amazing the difference in torque. I went from a gas Chevy 5-speed to my '03and the zero-throttle launch took a little getting used to, but I'll bet the clutch in a stock Cummins lasts a LONG time compared to a gasser.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:22 PM

Yup!Like they said.Launch from idle,shift progressivly,never exceed 2000 RPM,and get bet possibl MPG.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:32 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by D.Wiggs
Yes, but it makes everything so smooth! These diesels would be the perfect vehicle for ANYONE to learn how to drive a stick on.
WOW! -- I must've had a diesel in my old Nissan Patrol... Taught the ol' lady to drive stick in that thing. First time out she accidentally put it in 3rd and then sidestepped the clutch with no gas.. Ya know what, that derned ol' thing burped and stuttered and kept on chuggin'. I miss it. But not the ex
Old 06-05-2007, 05:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was going to do a 1-3-5 shift in mine to get the smoke rolling. I accidently (sp?) missed 3rd Sputtered, spewed and kept chugging. It is great to have a diesel!

Jon

Quick Reply: Shifting a Diesel