3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Several General Questions Regarding My 2003 3500

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 01:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Several General Questions Regarding My 2003 3500

I've had my current truck since it was new in 2003 and I love it by I just have a few issues that some of you may have experienced in the past. Any help would be appreciated...

1. While installing the flatbed I realized I didn't have any reverese lights. I couldn't find any blown fuses and have heard that it could be the reverse switch. I've seen some threads with this issue on the NV4500 but has anyone experienced this on the 6-spd? Is it easy to change?

2. Also regarding the flatbed install... I now have a dash light on that says "bulb out" or something to that effect. I've read this is due to the different type of lights in the flatbed. Apparently the computer thinks there is a light out since I no longer have the regular tail lights hooked up and the new lights in the flatbed are of a different type. Someone said there is a TSB to fix this but only works if my truck was built after a certain date (I forget it it seems like it's Aug of 2003 or something). They said trucks built before this date don't have the option in the comuter to turn off this "wonderful" feature. Well mine was built before that so is this something I just have to live with?

3. Also, does anyone know if any of the aftermarket 4" exhaust systems have the tailpipe turned out to the side of the truck completely (90 deg.)? My stock exhaust is turned out to about 45 degrees and ends near the right rear corner of the truck. Due to my new mudflap location (on the flatbed), I'm ruining mudflaps over time since the exhaust blows onto it. I guess I could solve it with one of those turndown tips but I really dislike the looks of those things. I may just have to take it to the local muffler shop and have them bend the tailpipe more to the side but since I'm considering an aftermarket exhaust, I would love to kill two birds with one stone.

4. Finally, If I were to go with a mild performance enhancing "box" to help while towing, have there been many reports of problems (lift pump failure, etc.)?

5. I almost forgot, my A/C is acting up while on long trips. It basically stops blowing out of the vents after driving for about three hours or so. This not a great thing. Anyone know what it could be?

The only other trouble I've had with the truck is bad u-joints and a leaky rear axle seal (which was concerning because I started seeing smoke rolling out of the rear fender while hauling my tractor, roughly 10,000#).

Sorry for the long post but any help would be appreciated!
Old 06-23-2006, 03:17 PM

Well, for the exhaust, I am sure you could buy a 90* piece of section from a hardware store or muffler shop and have it welded to another section to get what you want right???

Or you could just put stacks on it and have no exhaust at the rear.

For the A/C thing, mine does this, and if I turn off the cold air button, (snowflake) then I guess it thaws something out and you will start to feel air in about 2-3 minutes, then turn the cold air button back on and have cool; blowing air again.

Sorry, I don't know anything about the lights.
Old 06-23-2006, 04:07 PM

Thanks for the reply...

Yeah I could get something made up to work but I thought I'd check and see if there was already something in that configuration before I did that. Thanks.
Old 06-23-2006, 04:20 PM

hte reverse light there is a switch on the outside of your bell housing passesnger side takes a 7/8 wrench that senses reverse and turns your lights on 5 minute install no loss of fluid 60 dollar part.

The A/c has something to do with they evaporator freezing up. You have to relote some temperature sensor in the engine compartment.
Old 06-24-2006, 03:26 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks guys... I talked to the local dealer yesterday and they've got the reverse switch in stock for $61.10. Gotta get that on Monday and take care of it.
Old 06-24-2006, 07:58 PM

Low ac charge can cause freeze up as well as there is a MEMO to relocate the FIN TEMP SENSOR(thermostat)on the EVAPORATOR(in the dash).there have been issues with Reverse lamp switch on the NV5600 also.
Old 06-25-2006, 02:59 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have an 04 1500 and one time the AC blower motor quit blowing intermidentaly and the fix was replacing the ignition cylinder... It turns out my keys were too heavy and wore that sucker out at around 34000 miles. So I use 2 key chains now... Also helps incase you lock the keys in the truck if you keep the keyless entry on the 2nd key chain.
Old 06-25-2006, 03:56 PM

Good advise.BUT not same deal.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:19 PM

For you guys that often lock your keys in your truck, just a tip, I keep a spare key in the fuel door, if you open up the fuel door, on the back of the actual door, you can slide a spare key down into the gap between the door and hinge that will never bounce out and is not easily visible at the pump, so no worries on it being stole.
Old 06-26-2006, 01:24 PM

One problem my truck has is to lock the doors, with the key in the ignition, engine running, windows closed, and me outside. It even honks the horn to let me know it just locked me out.. I carry a spare key, on my other key ring.